BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
This is the mains plug which powers my android IPTV box.
Can I simply change the plug to a 12v cig lighter type plug and expect the device to work off my 12v system??? It's says the output is 5v and 2 amps.
I think so, but any experts opinions???
Tia.

IMG_1328.JPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No you can't.

That's basically a transformer plug.

5V output means that the TV box works at 5V. Is it a USB connectoror something like that?

If you cut the plug off and replace it with a 12V one you will deliver 12V to the box instead of 5V.

The results will be somewhere between it just not working and it blowing up the box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Afraid not its a transformer as well as a plug and 5 volts not 12. You could run it from a usb plug but would need to be careful about polarity

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
The output from that plug is 5 volt, if you just connect the cut lead to a 12 volt supply you will be sending over twice the voltage needed to the appliance and would probably 'fry' it. Subject to the appliance working off Direct Current from a battery rather than Alternating Current from the mains you could 'drop' the voltage from 12 to 6 (which might not 'fry' the appliance) quite cheaply. Personally I would prefer an inverter solution.

Wish I could type faster!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No ... sorry!

Think of it this way, you are powered by 5v and someone sticks 12v up your jacksie ... would you be happy! :eek:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
A 12 volt USB cigarette lighter converter will be a 5 volt output you can by them with a 2 amp current output.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@BreweryDave

Dave, what's on the other end of that lead?

If it's a standard connector then replacing the whole lead with the appropriate USB lead and using an adapter as Steve N Tracy suggested it going to be the best solution.

Cutting the plug off and replacing it with a USB plug is not an option unless you really know what you're doing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I guess it's a no then !!!

This is the other end....

View attachment 193510

This is the sort of thing you need.

That won't be the right one. You'll need to measure the round plug on the end and find one to suit, or better still go to somewhere like Maplins.

Once you've got a lead that fits you need one of these or similar and you'll be sorted.

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
Either need to measure and purchase online, but if nervous take the existing lead in to Maplins, I am sure they will be able to help you

Good luck

Kev

Reactions: DBK
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
This is the mains plug which powers my android IPTV box.
Can I simply change the plug to a 12v cig lighter type plug and expect the device to work off my 12v system??? It's says the output is 5v and 2 amps.
I think so, but any experts opinions???
Tia.
View attachment 193505
:Eeek: Do i sense the smell of burning plastic and electronics no Dave NO DONT DO IT its 5v out put you will kill it:crying:
nill

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
2 amps is quite high for USB. If you just connect to the normal power pins of a USB output, don't you only get 0.5A? Doesn't the charger need some QuickCharge intelligence at the other end to get it to kick up to higher outputs??? Not sure.

Reactions: DBK

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Usb sockets now supply up the 2.4 amps they will have the rating on them

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Usb sockets now supply up the 2.4 amps they will have the rating on them

I know they can supply 2.4A, but do they need to be sent some secret message down the data lines to activate it? Does the device on the other end need to talk 'QuickCharge 2.0' or similar... 'cos a simple 2 pin cable isn't going to do that.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
You are right but the cable shown will only send a constant 2 amps exactly the same as the original transformer as long it is plugged into a 2 amp or higher rated socket. It's the device (phone etc) on the receiving end that does the controlling in the system you describe. This device fed by a simple 2 wire jack obviously has no need to do that.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
@BreweryDave

Dave, what's on the other end of that lead?

If it's a standard connector then replacing the whole lead with the appropriate USB lead and using an adapter as Steve N Tracy suggested it going to be the best solution.

Cutting the plug off and replacing it with a USB plug is not an option unless you really know what you're doing.
I managed no problem with a USB plug wiring diagram for the internet, a solving ion, and a usb plug, also from the internet and luck to convert a Katcher window vac to 5v........

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You are right but the cable shown will only send a constant 2 amps exactly the same as the original transformer as long it is plugged into a 2 amp or higher rated socket. It's the device (phone etc) on the receiving end that does the controlling in the system you describe. This device fed by a simple 2 wire jack obviously has no need to do that.

I thought the way USB worked was that it was 0.5A max unless the device plugged in to it was smart enough to ask for more? Although it was possible to fool it by putting a simple resistor across the data pins I think???

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought the way USB worked was that it was 0.5A max unless the device plugged in to it was smart enough to ask for more? Although it was possible to fool it by putting a simple resistor across the data pins I think???
These day they can be rated at larger amounts. doubles used to be 0,5A for each socket but if only one was used then you would get 1A. Ihave some rated at 3,1A on one section & 1A on the other.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
That applies, or did, to usb outputs from a laptops or similar. I think we are talking 12 volt adaptors here are we not?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
2 amps is quite high for USB. If you just connect to the normal power pins of a USB output, don't you only get 0.5A? Doesn't the charger need some QuickCharge intelligence at the other end to get it to kick up to higher outputs??? Not sure.
I think historically 2A was seen as high but that's the sort of rating you need these days to charge a typical tablet. I've seen some adaptors rated at 3A. AFAIK you can't damage a device by connecting it to a charger higher rated than it might originally have come with. As the batteries are charged the charging current will tail off naturally.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back