Can Feel Bed Slats Through Mattress - Suggestions Please (1 Viewer)

BorisBolero

Free Member
May 12, 2018
Funster No
Hi Everyone,
Have just viewed a new Pilote with a drop down electric bed. My wife (who suffers the princess and the pea syndrome if you remember the story!) can feel the bed slats through the Bultex mattress. So it's a no go which is a shame as it ticks all the other boxes.
I asked salesman about an additional mattress but he doubted whether the motor would lift the extra weight. Have seen Froli system recommended here, but Amazon reviews suggest that it broke within days for about a third of users. Any suggestions about Froli or alternative solutions please, such as stiff breathable mats maybe? Would prefer not to trade in the wife with the current van!
Many thanks.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hi Everyone,
Have just viewed a new Pilote with a drop down electric bed. My wife (who suffers the princess and the pea syndrome if you remember the story!) can feel the bed slats through the Bultex mattress. So it's a no go which is a shame as it ticks all the other boxes.
I asked salesman about an additional mattress but he doubted whether the motor would lift the extra weight. Have seen Froli system recommended here, but Amazon reviews suggest that it broke within days for about a third of users. Any suggestions about Froli or alternative solutions please, such as stiff breathable mats maybe? Would prefer not to trade in the wife with the current van!
Many thanks.

We have a Bultex foam mattress from new. I find it rather hard. There is definitely no chance of feeling the slats underneath. A mattress topper makes ours more comfortable for sleeping.

I wonder if Pilote are using a thinner, lighter Bultex mattress because it is a drop down bed.

OP
OP
BorisBolero

BorisBolero

Free Member
May 12, 2018
Funster No
The Bultex mattress on this Pilote was about 2 and a half inches thick and fairly light to lift, and I admit that I could also feel the slats. So perhaps as you say it has been made thinner/lighter to suit its purpose.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
How about the rubber mat that campers use even if you need 2 it will be a cheap remedy?

<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Bultex mattress on this Pilote was about 2 and a half inches thick and fairly light to lift, and I admit that I could also feel the slats. So perhaps as you say it has been made thinner/lighter to suit its purpose.
That is roughly half the thickness we have.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I can’t believe the motor would not lift the extra weight? I reckon the salesman can’t be arsed to sort it for you? I would have said get details or no sale😊
Just possible that GVW might be affected a little.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our Pilote van has a very comfortable bed, it was a concern when we changed because it's made up using separate pieces where as our last van we had a mattress each. 😁
Sound like your drop down bed is either cost cutting or weight saving and obviously a higher density foam would be firm and heavier, we had a mattress topper in our caravan and it made a comfortable bed but its heavy, maybe checkout the mattress weight they fit, and find another about the same weight and get a deal on it. 😁

Our beds latex and really heavy, our guests beds are IKEA consist of three layers of foam comfortable and light. 😁 Bob.

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
My missus said she could feel the slats under our old Pilote mattress. You don’t want to hear what my response was 😂

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Cut a camping ground mat to bridge across the slats, then memory foam toppers as the final layer
minimal height/weight increase

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
What about spanning all the slats with a sheet of canvas, or fabric, like they do when you restore a sprung chair.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
A good trick is a mattress topper then put a quilt under the bottom sheet but above the mattress topper. This makes fo a very luxurious feeling.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have seen Froli system recommended here, but Amazon reviews suggest that it broke within days for about a third of users.
I don't believe that, I fitted them on our last van can't see how they could break, our current van has a different version not as good as Froli.

Whenever we have looked at French vans the mattress always appears to be very soft, there are several companies that will make a custom mattress for you if you really like the van a few hundred quid on a new mattress I wouldn't think is a deal breaker considering what most of us spent on extras.

OP
OP
BorisBolero

BorisBolero

Free Member
May 12, 2018
Funster No
Thank you all for your helpful replies. I'm sure one or more of them would solve the problem and it shouldn't put me off the van.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Eat jam doughnuts and cake. Lots of jam doughnuts and cake. And choccy bars, don’t forget them! 😄

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Froli sell a plastic square mesh for use with thin mattresses to (presumably) reduce the effect of inconsistencies in the underlying support system.

I guess that would help reduce the effect of the wooden slats as experienced by the OP's wife.

I recently bit the bullet and removed the existing slats and installed the Froli system. Comfort has improved but not by a huge amount. My current van has a fairly firm foam mattress. My previous Hymer had a sprung mattress over slats which was far more comfortable than my bed at home.

Think the comfort rating depends more on the type of mattress rather than the support system.

I veered away from the topper solution as I believed these tended to increase heat. Being an excema sufferer, I need a cool sleep.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Plus another vote for the froli from an overweight 6ft 2 bloke

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
6mm ply, job sorted
Or even a good quality 4mm ply would do the trick given the gaps between the slats and it will be roughly 2/3 weight of 6mm. Don't suggest hardboard on weight grounds or MDF as it doesn't flex as much and will crack unless really thick ( and heavy) get a piece cut to the size of the slatted area, then either tiny screws top and bottom, or adhesive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The problem with putting a board etc on top of the slats is that you then lose the flexibility/benefit of them so will make the bed firm which may pose a bigger problem.

Either put a 1" memory foam topper on the mattress itself or you could try a rug underneath between the mattress and the slats - yes I know it sounds daft but it would work so long as you don't go daft and get a shag pile one! The reason for a rug is that it has a bit more 'structure' to it than a camping mat which is meant to be very flexible and 'squishable'. If you have a rug at home just try it and see if it works, nothing to lose.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Think about how much time you spend in bed, and how important a good night’s sleep is, especially of you are planning extended trips.

We bought a new Benimar 282 in 2019, electric drop down bed. Looked ideal and for a weekend great but a week? Mattress comfort not great so tried a topper but had to get thinnest if we wanted to leave the duvet on the bed when stowing it. Long story short sold it to get a proper bed.

Do you want to spend that much money and stick a sheet of ply under the mattress? It’ll encourage damp in the mattress, possible mould and add both weight and cut the clearance height of the bed. You could drill holes in the ply for air but.....

All of life is a compromise, but to me a good nights sleep is vital to retain sanity and enjoy the van.

Personally I chose to keep the wife but change the van 😀

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Got a basic but 2-3inch foam topper from Aldi/Lidl, the cover has a warm and a cool side. Snug and comfy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back