Can anyone recommend me a good TV Box (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
This is for the house and not the van. A while back we had BT TV and BT Sport and cancelled the Sport a year or two ago. We kept the BT YouView Box, but BT have just bumped the price up by 40%, so we have cancelled and the box will go back. I know that there has been some people who have kept the boxes, but BT have changed their T&C’s and are more insistent now that it must be returned. We have other services with BT and I do not wish to enter a dispute with them

We have a HumaxFoxStat HD box that we were going to use as a replacement. It is about 10 years old so has no Apps on it and is a bit clunky. We are using a Firestick to get the Catchup and Amazon Prime, but it is fiddly as we have to keep changing the “source”

Our TV does not have any Apps or Internet connection, but we do have both a dual Satellite dish feed and a Freeview cable available. So we are looking for a recording box that we can load and run Apps on. Always liked the Humax but they don’t seem to have such a good name anymore, and have stopped making Sat boxes and stick to Freeview only

Please can anyone recommend a good TV Box that will meet our needs?

TIA

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use an H96 + Max, works well but the remote is a bit naff I use a wireless mouse with it. The version I have has 64GB of memory so good for downloading programs.
It's a rooted device some apps iPlayer being one of them you have to sideload.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Freesat took hold of production some time ago and bought it "In House". Hence no Humax Freesat boxes anymore. Their own twin tuner unit gets very mixed reviews now and was / is a Currys / Amazon exclusive. I went with one of these units when we kicked Sky out, picture quality isn't as quite as good as Freesat but more than good enough for regular watching. Easy enough to use and get on with. Also use a Firestick for some "stuff". ;) https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/manhattan-t3r-review-freeview-play-4k-recorder/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Freesat took hold of production some time ago and bought it "In House". Hence no Humax Freesat boxes anymore. Their own twin tuner unit gets very mixed reviews now and was / is a Currys / Amazon exclusive. I went with one of these units when we kicked Sky out, picture quality isn't as quite as good as Freesat but more than good enough for regular watching. Easy enough to use and get on with. Also use a Firestick for some "stuff". ;) https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/manhattan-t3r-review-freeview-play-4k-recorder/

That seems to fit my needs, if only it included Amazon Prime which is a major source of tennis for SWMBO

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
That seems to fit my needs, if only it included Amazon Prime which is a major source of tennis for SWMBO
Hence the need for a Firestick as well. You can turn it on it's head and use the Firestick for everything but certain live stuff, catch up is on the stick and real time streaming. We used the stick extensively in the van pre Covid crap, never bothered to put the dish up and just streamed all of it.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I use an H96 + Max, works well but the remote is a bit naff I use a wireless mouse with it. The version I have has 64GB of memory so good for downloading programs.
It's a rooted device some apps iPlayer being one of them you have to sideload.
I've recently got one of these boxes but no idea as to what apps to use tor even how to download and store stuff 128gb card or usb hard drive.
Captain sensible will know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've recently got one of these boxes but no idea as to what apps to use tor even how to download and store stuff 128gb card or usb hard drive.
Captain sensible will know.
Most of the catch up apps you can download from Google play but Iplayer you will need to side load I use https://m.apkpure.com/

When using Prime, Nexflex & Iplayer you can download straight to the internal memory.
If you have films and videos on an SD card in MP4 AVI files etc., you can play then straight from the card or you can copy them to the memory. Depending on format you may need to download additional video players.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Switch the box off and do something more interesting 👍

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why will the BT box go back ?

We cancelled BT tv years ago and kept the box as a Freeview player / recorder

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Why will the BT box go back ?

We cancelled BT tv years ago and kept the box as a Freeview player / recorder

BT changed their T&C’s a little while back, so the box clearly belongs to them, and will now pursue you for the box, including continuing to charge you for it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back