Can anyone recommed this model? (1 Viewer)

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Looking at maybe changing our motorhome for an A Class..

Can anyone give feed back on this model?
Carthago C Tourer I 2016 (16 reg)

Its on for £60k and has 7,400 miles on the clock.

Any feed baclk good or bad much appreciated.

Thanks

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We have a 2015 C Tourer T150 - so it's low profile rather than A-class. Love it, very comfortable and solid feeling.

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We have a C Tourer i138. I love it, very good to drive and seems well put together, unfortunately only had it since February so hardly used it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
It’s a 144 Sport which I missed off on my initial post. Not sure if this is significant? 😀

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
We have a C Tourer i138. I love it, very good to drive and seems well put together, unfortunately only had it since February so hardly used it.
we also have a 2017 Compactline i138, which we love. Now done 20k miles.
we had a C-Tourer i148 on 4.25t chassis prior to this and we changed it for a couple of reasons. firstly, OH felt it was a bit big, but comfortable and secondly we didnt get on with the single beds!
the Compactline is so much earier to drive being 15cm slimmer and a metre shorter.
with just two of us, and usually touring in warmer climes we dont spend much time lounging in the van...we generally just sleep in it.
AFAIK, the Sport model was a slightly down specced version which made the price a little more attractive....but it wasnt in the range for very long.
there are always a few 2014-2017 used vans around, check the spec carefully on other non Sport models, it used to be pretty generous around 2014...been pared back a bit now. you could check out the Compactline i 145 for comparison, bit scarce now as the range changed a while back.
good luck.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
For what it is worth, the word Carthago alone means your are looking at a potentially good quality van but still check it out carefully to see what previous owners may have 'improved'.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
we also have a 2017 Compactline i138, which we love. Now done 20k miles.
we had a C-Tourer i148 on 4.25t chassis prior to this and we changed it for a couple of reasons. firstly, OH felt it was a bit big, but comfortable and secondly we didnt get on with the single beds!
the Compactline is so much earier to drive being 15cm slimmer and a metre shorter.
with just two of us, and usually touring in warmer climes we dont spend much time lounging in the van...we generally just sleep in it.
AFAIK, the Sport model was a slightly down specced version which made the price a little more attractive....but it wasnt in the range for very long.
there are always a few 2014-2017 used vans around, check the spec carefully on other non Sport models, it used to be pretty generous around 2014...been pared back a bit now. you could check out the Compactline i 145 for comparison, bit scarce now as the range changed a while back.
good luck.
Thanks for the feed back I did think it was quite reasonably priced for a 2016 Carthago with relatively low mileage.
I did also pick up on the fact that it was a little down specced no oven blown air heating etc. Maybe I should be looking at older models in order to get the best value for money. Thanks Again!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think it will have blown air heating.
With Carthago, you are buying furniture.
The Fiat base is common as muck (but one that I'd avoid if I had a choice).
The Sport may not be on an Alko chassis (to save on price, but add a bit of weight).
Carthago is a well-respected brand (good quality) so the price should remain stable.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
just for comparison, there are half a dozen Carthagos (A class, T class, Compactlines and C Tourers) on eBay on that price range.
will depend on layout (island, singles, transverse bed), width, interior colour and dealer proximity.
having said that, the i144 looks nice.
good luck

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thanks for the feed back I did think it was quite reasonably priced for a 2016 Carthago with relatively low mileage.
I did also pick up on the fact that it was a little down specced no oven blown air heating etc. Maybe I should be looking at older models in order to get the best value for money. Thanks Again!
Don’t worry about it missing an oven, you will probably never use it, get a Romoska Cheaper to use an very versatil.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t worry about it missing an oven, you will probably never use it, get a Romoska Cheaper to use an very versatil.
I'll certainly never use it!!:LOL: I'll take a look at the Romoska it could make the perfect Christmas gift(y)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You may think they are expensive but we use it in our MH and at home and only yesterday we made a lovely whole meal loaf that tasted better than artisan shop bread. Bacon and eggs are the best.

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
We have a Webber never needed an oven we manage fine u can do any roast etc in them highly recommend (y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not having an oven means more valuable cupboard space. There are plenty of ways around the absence of an oven.
You mention no blown air again. I'm sure it will have. Perhaps you meant no electric heating? That should not be an issue, either. Although there's no harm in mentioning it when negotiating.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Not having an oven means more valuable cupboard space. There are plenty of ways around the absence of an oven.
You mention no blown air again. I'm sure it will have. Perhaps you meant no electric heating? That should not be an issue, either. Although there's no harm in mentioning it when negotiating.
I think Op said it was a “little down specced no oven blown air heating etc.” so maybe referring to it having blown air as opposed to Alde?

So far as an oven goes, we were a bit anxious when we got ours, having had british vans before, but we didn’t really miss an oven. We use a Remoska inside, Weber outside. We miss the microwave more tbh. Most difficult adjustment was to the large fixed table, but since OP has a Pilote currently that is presumably not an issue.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Good point!
But I don't expect to find Alde at that end of the market.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
actually, we took to the table straight away.....we both do crosswords, sudokus etc and having the table there all the time is great. its also perfect for mealtimes.
re: the oven...we had a tec tower with gas oven/grill in the C-Tourer and it was a little high for OH, although fine for me. we used that regularly when in the UK, so we decided to have one installed as part of the sale deal...its a Thetford Duplex which works very well indeed....we still have 5 of the 6 drawers left.
when away in Europe (6 months, two 3 month trips..late summer then winter) the oven doesnt get used much, except when travelling down through France in January...

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Good point!
But I don't expect to find Alde at that end of the market.
We have Alde heating at the moment and it’s great. To be honest never tried the blown air so can’t really make a judgement but just don’t think it would be as good.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Little difference between the heating systems. I've had both. Blown air is lighter. Blown air can also heat the bathroom up hotter for a shower.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
with a Truma combi the air flow can reduce and the temp fall away if the heater is a long way from the outlet whereas, with a water sustem like Alde, the heat is carried to distant radiators....
thtis doesnt mean the the Combi is a bad bit of kit, it isnt....i would just say that it really does work better with a bit of ooomph from gas, so using Mix2 mode will add gas power to the 1800w of electric...its a good mode.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Probably correct that Alde may be better at distributing a weak (2kW) heat source evenly but I don't have electric heating anyway. Truma gets my van 'toasty' very quickly, including underfloor and the garage. The only place I can keep beer cool is in the fridge! Whichever form of boiler you have, use it on gas and supplement with EHU when it's available for no additional charge.

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
It’s a 144 Sport which I missed off on my initial post. Not sure if this is significant? 😀

A bit late to the conversation. But, we had a carthago CTourer Sport. Great motorhome. We changed to a Le Voyageur last year. We changed with low mileage due to my mobility issues changing.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for that.

we would have been interested in buying but didn’t get past first base on the negotiations👍😂
Seems the dealers have all the power at the moment!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back