Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Frankie...

Its about 100 miles from me but I would be happy to have a ride out to see it for you...however I would not be able too until next week as im in the usa at present.as you well know I come back this week but am off to the marathon de medoc for next weekend.

The earliest I could view for you would be s week tomorrow Monday...if it is still there

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thank you very much Paul , but I have someone who is taken this in charge. We have a plan.... either it will work ...or not::bigsmile: Just don't want to say too much about it as I said previously ...in case of bad luck !:winky:

If it doesn't work with this one, I will go on with my list and the 2 next ones are in France, one is too big though but it could be of an interest for someone here who knows!

Thanks again for your concern!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just a thought Frankie, are you absolutely sure you'll be able to get an older UK van French registered?

Reason I'm asking is that I've just recently come across a Brit couple living in France who've been trying to get an older UK van registered here in France and they've discovered that the rules changed in Sept 2012. Apparently, DREAL don't do the inspection now and instead they ask for the COC or an attestation from the manufacturer.

Well, this couples situation is that, as with many of the older UK vans, they obtained the CoC for the chassis cab but not for the habitation part. Presumablly they could possibly obtain an attestation instead from the manufacture but, in their case they had gone out of business. The only option open to them now is to obtain an attestation from a carrossier but inspite of searching, they are finding it impossible to get any to commit to signing it off for them.

We had a long and complicated paper trail when we changed our 1998 Fiat Swift Kontiki to French registration 2 years ago due to Swift not being able to give us a CoC, although they are still in business so perhaps they could have provided an attestation.

So just a word of warning, if you're not aware of these changes, please check that you will be able to get French immatriculation without problems.

Bon courage!

Well Anna , thanks very much for the info , I was not aware of this!

I must now be sure that this vehicule has a valid COC otherwise it will be a worthless buy!

When I asked for info on the internet they never mentionned all this.

I hope this nice van has all the required papers or I'll have to give up:cry::cry:

Thanks again for your imput

Amicalement

Frankie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Well Anna , thanks very much for the info , I was not aware of this!

I must now be sure that this vehicule has a valid COC otherwise it will be a worthless buy!

When I asked for info on the internet they never mentionned all this.

I hope this nice van has all the required papers or I'll have to give up:cry::cry:

Thanks again for your imput

Amicalement

Frankie

Hi Frankie

No, they would not mention information re a CoC as is not required unless you want to register it in France.

I think you would need to contact the manufacturer, giving them the details of the van (probably the VIN number will be most important info), to find out if they can supply you with a CoC. Shouldn't be difficult to find out.

I think UK vans less than 10 years normally have no problems getting full CoC but please check.

Without full CoC, even if it it is possible to obtain French reg, it will be costly. Our total expenses to finally be able to fit our shiny new French plaques, was in the region of 1000€! If we had full CoC, it would have been much less!

Amicalement
Anna

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie

No, they would not mention information re a CoC as is not required unless you want to register it in France.

I think you would need to contact the manufacturer, giving them the details of the van (probably the VIN number will be most important info), to find out if they can supply you with a CoC. Shouldn't be difficult to find out.

I think UK vans less than 10 years normally have no problems getting full CoC but please check.

Without full CoC, even if it it is possible to obtain French reg, it will be costly. Our total expenses to finally be able to fit our shiny new French plaques, was in the region of 1000€! If we had full CoC, it would have been much less!

Amicalement
Anna

The site I had my info from is the official french site for a french registration of a foreign vehicule SO it should give all the détails about it ! I'm quite angry with this, ...will probably phone them to call them a few nice names for this lack of essential info!

As for contact manufacturer? German?...errr... I can't talk German enough to ask this kind of thing indeed... It would already be difficult in English (on phone...if the person is in a hurry or has some strange accent , that's it I'm done!) I can't see how to get through this difficulty:Sad:

Frankie:Sad:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi the problems mentioned ,that you would possibly come across.
Relate to the expeirience of one who was attempting to register a British spec van ,with habitation door ,amongst other things being on the wrong side for France rules etc.
Even with older rules that would have been a big problem.
Being that the Van you seek is ex-German and if anything like mine will come with enough paperwork so as to overload you.:Smile: ask the question re all original German docs ,I have all right back to factory and pdi (in German of course ) so all may not be lost just ask the correct Q
Good luck Frankie
M&J

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
The site I had my info from is the official french site for a french registration of a foreign vehicule SO it should give all the détails about it ! I'm quite angry with this, ...will probably phone them to call them a few nice names for this lack of essential info!

As for contact manufacturer? German?...errr... I can't talk German enough to ask this kind of thing indeed... It would already be difficult in English (on phone...if the person is in a hurry or has some strange accent , that's it I'm done!) I can't see how to get through this difficulty:Sad:

Hi Frankie

Sorry, I thought you meant the advert didn't mention about a CoC, didn't realise you meant French Government site!

Think their info is just for cars! Although, unless brand new, I understood they would need to have a CoC, ours certainly did...although that was 12 years ago now!

Perhaps you can ask them what the requirements are for importing a foreign camping car if no CoC is obtainable for the cellule part?

Re buying a German make of van, that might well be different from an older UK one as you may be able to obtain a CoC for it! It would def be worthwhile contacting the German manufacture! You could e-mail them in English and that way you would have their reply in writing to be sure. Otherwise, I can phone for you, if you let me have details of the van with VIN number and the maufacturer's phone number but I would still have confirmation in writing that they will definitely supply a CoC!

Best wishes
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Hi the problems mentioned ,that you would possibly come across.
Relate to the expeirience of one who was attempting to register a British spec van ,with habitation door ,amongst other things being on the wrong side for France rules etc.
Even with older rules that would have been a big problem.
Being that the Van you seek is ex-German and if anything like mine will come with enough paperwork so as to overload you.:Smile: ask the question re all original German docs ,I have all right back to factory and pdi (in German of course ) so all may not be lost just ask the correct Q
Good luck Frankie
M&J

Hi

Just to put the record straight, we didn't "attempt" to do this, we actually did it so are talking from experience, although, as I stated, it was for a UK van and, as stated, German one could be different.

However, Frankie may well have been or will look at UK vans as well so best for her to be aware of all aspects.

Regarding UK habitation doors being on other side, ours is on the wrong side and I can assure you that is a myth and makes no difference whatsoever to registering a van in France.

Kind regards
Anna

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie

Sorry, I thought you meant the advert didn't mention about a CoC, didn't realise you meant French Government site!

Think their info is just for cars! Although, unless brand new, I understood they would need to have a CoC, ours certainly did...although that was 12 years ago now!

Perhaps you can ask them what the requirements are for importing a foreign camping car if no CoC is obtainable for the cellule part?

Re buying a German make of van, that might well be different from an older UK one as you may be able to obtain a CoC for it! It would def be worthwhile contacting the German manufacture! You could e-mail them in English and that way you would have their reply in writing to be sure. Otherwise, I can phone for you, if you let me have details of the van with VIN number and the maufacturer's phone number but I would still have confirmation in writing that they will definitely supply a CoC!

Best wishes
Anna

I did ask for a motorhome not for a car. But even so , they didn't mention it. It's just by entering COC (which I knew nothing about before your post... never had to, as never came across this sort of situation!) that I found out it would not be that easy . That said , I would tend to think that the vehicule being German (they are very fussy with papaers!!) , it probably came with all the suitable things, and so COC for french registration . Waiting for more infos from the dealer now ... and then we'll see.

In any case , this is all very interesting to know , as you said I could see a UK van and think about buying it , or any English funster wanting to do so and take it back to France!
If my experience happens to be a "NO NO No" in the end , never mind , another funster will use all these info to do it properly!:Smile:

Thanks Roger for cheering me up, i didn't think straight away that German vans would be with "normal" side (LOL!) . So as you said not all lost . I still hope , being aware it might not be for me !

Bying a motorhome is very exciting , but I guess we all have to put on with unexpected things . I'd rather know them before than when it's too late !!

Thanks all very much indeed!

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Last info: Don't need any paper or certificate of any kind as van is old enough! Thanks to Peter (Stcyr) who's done the job many times and still go on helping English friends here in France with french registration , and put me on the right track to do mine if I happen to be happy enough to win the auction!

Back to real life .... Just have to wait and see now!:RollEyes:

Frankie::bigsmile:

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Frankie,
Sorry I can't be of nay help to you at all except to wish you every success if this is the Motorhome for you; hope everything goes through fine.

Norman

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a little info here....Any vehicle imported into the UK that is UNDER 10 years old will require a C O E, or certificate of conformity. The same applies to France. You have nothing to worry about Frankie unless of course you are considering the purchase of a newer vehicle. I have personally imported to the UK from several EU countries and also exported to France without C O Es. I know its a daunting experience for you, but try to stay calm. Where is your prince when you need him, watching football no doubt :RollEyes:.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Looks a nice van, JJ will go green:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ignore the PayPal comment, nothing sinister in that comment, no seller will accept PayPal for large payments due to the commission payable to them might be 3% for a private, ie £180 on £6k plus

You are buying a used vehicle from a private buyer, not a dealer, so buyer beware !

Peter

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Just a little info here....Any vehicle imported into the UK that is UNDER 10 years old will require a C O E, or certificate of conformity. The same applies to France. You have nothing to worry about Frankie unless of course you are considering the purchase of a newer vehicle. I have personally imported to the UK from several EU countries and also exported to France without C O Es. I know its a daunting experience for you, but try to stay calm. Where is your prince when you need him, watching football no doubt :RollEyes:.

With respect, I think this post is a wee bit misleading. To register a vehicule in France, a CoC is required no matter what age it is (apart from very new ones).

Yes with vehicules under/less than 10 years old no problem with obtaining a CoC.

However, with UK Motorhomes which are older than about 10 years old a CoC is still required for French reg and that's where the problems start! I know this because we've been there and done it for our 1998 Swift Kontiki. UK manufacturers will not issue a CoC for the habitation part for older vans.

Kind regards
Anna

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
With respect, I think this post is a wee bit misleading. To register a vehicule in France, a CoC is required no matter what age it is (apart from very new ones).

Yes with vehicules under/less than 10 years old no problem with obtaining a CoC.

However, with UK Motorhomes which are older than about 10 years old a CoC is still required for French reg and that's where the problems start! I know this because we've been there and done it for our 1998 Swift Kontiki. UK manufacturers will not issue a CoC for the habitation part for older vans.

Kind regards
Anna

Hi Anna, The last thing in the world I would wish to do is mislead someone. I cannot comment on English built motorhomes as I have only ever owned one of them, and that was a very long time ago. I have sold several older German built VWs to French customers who have had no problems with the French registration process. Generally German imports come with reams of paperwork when imported into the UK. This paperwork has always been handed over to the new customer, perhaps the COC is amongst this. If this is the case then I hope the van in question still has its original German paperwork. Strangely enough I have just sold a VW to an ex pat in France who is collecting tomorrow, I will ask what he has to say regarding older German vans being imported into France.

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Hi Anna, The last thing in the world I would wish to do is mislead someone. I cannot comment on English built motorhomes as I have only ever owned one of them, and that was a very long time ago. I have sold several older German built VWs to French customers who have had no problems with the French registration process. Generally German imports come with reams of paperwork when imported into the UK. This paperwork has always been handed over to the new customer, perhaps the COC is amongst this. If this is the case then I hope the van in question still has its original German paperwork. Strangely enough I have just sold a VW to an ex pat in France who is collecting tomorrow, I will ask what he has to say regarding older German vans being imported into France.

Hi
Yes, I understand German motorhomes are usually less problematic. Older UK ones, however are usually the opposite!
Best wishes
Anna

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I can't remember the year exactly without checking - I think about 2007/8 - but all vehicles in Europe since that year automatically have a certificate of conformity (meaning they conform to pan-European standards). A CoC cannot be provided for an older vehicle. One has to apply for registration 'a titre isolé' - a 'one-off' registration, the same as when registering a self-build for example - as if it was the only vehicle of that type ever built. The first move is to get a CT (Controle technique, French equivalent to the Mot)...
The Dreal website gives all the necessary information on procedure and also gives all the paperwork ready to download. One has a couple or 3 visits to make such as to a 'gas installation inspector' (to check the gas installation complies with safety standards) - all requirements are clearly listed... Just 'google' dreal with the appropriate department and all is clear.
If a MH has been imported from Germany it may or may not have had UK-dipping headlights fitted. Ours luckily still had the German headlights fitted, with beambenders stuck on, which is not a problem for UK Mot. If the MH had been fitted with UK headlights a pair of proper European ones can be bought from Germany for 66 euros, incl.p&p.
(I bought a pair last week to carry as spares).
When all the boxes are ticked (literally) you go to the nearest Préfecture, with the various certs.,forms etc. to get the Carte grise (reg.doc)..... :thumb:

Some friends of ours have a Hymer which is basically exactly the same as our Dethleffs but supplied and originally registered in France. Everything on ours (Originally German registered) is exactly the same as theirs so will definitely comply. The one Frankie's looking at, apart from possibly the headlights will be the same, no modifications necessary.

Last edited:

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
I can't remember the year exactly without checking - I think about 2007/8 - but all vehicles in Europe since that year automatically have a certificate of conformity (meaning they conform to pan-European standards). A CoC cannot be provided for an older vehicle. One has to apply for registration 'a titre isolé' - a 'one-off' registration, the same as when registering a self-build for example - as if it was the only vehicle of that type ever built. The first move is to get a CT (Controle technique, French equivalent to the Mot)...
The Dreal website gives all the necessary information on procedure and also gives all the paperwork ready to download. One has a couple or 3 visits to make such as to a 'gas installation inspector' (to check the gas installation complies with safety standards) - all requirements are clearly listed... Just 'google' dreal with the appropriate department and all is clear.
If a MH has been imported from Germany it may or may not have had UK-dipping headlights fitted. Ours luckily still had the German headlights fitted, with beambenders stuck on, which is not a problem for UK Mot. If the MH had been
fitted with UK headlights a pair of proper European ones can be bought from Germany for 66 euros, incl.p&p.
(I bought a pair last week to carry as spares).
When all the boxes are ticked (literally) you go to the nearest Préfecture, with the various certs.,forms etc. to get the Carte grise (reg.doc)..... :thumb:

Some friends of ours have a Hymer which is basically exactly the same as our Dethleffs but supplied and originally registered in France. Everything on ours (Originally German registered) is exactly the same as theirs so will definitely
comply. The one Frankie's looking at, apart from possibly the headlights will be the same, no modifications necessary.

Don't wish to harp on but, please be aware of the DREAL changes as of Sept
2012. Downloading the forms is the only easy part! The DREAL do not now inspect the vehicule but insist that, if no CoC, a statement (attestation) must be signed off by the manufacturer or a French coach builder (carrossier). The latter is, apparently, not easy to obtain. It is not for the faint hearted as ticking all the boxes on the titre isolé might not be as easy as it sounds and it's a real costly paper trail too! We found our headlights for 50€ on Leboncoin.
As already stated, German makes are a different kettle of fish.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
mis à jour le 15 octobre 2012)

Plusieurs procédures administratives sont utilisées pour le traitement des demandes d’immatriculation des véhicules importés.

L’immatriculation peut être :

Link Removed directe en préfecture ;

Link Removed ou après une identification délivrée par le constructeur ou son représentant ou par une DREAL/DRIEE/DEAL ;

Link Removed ou après une réception individuelle ou à titre isolé réalisée par la DREAL/DRIEE/DEAL.

L’utilisation de l’une ou l’autre de ces procédures dépend de plusieurs critères comme la catégorie du véhicule (voiture particulière, motocycle, remorques,....) et la conformité de ce véhicule à un type réceptionné, soit au niveau national, soit au niveau européen.

Vous voulez immatriculer un véhicule en provenance de l’étranger : Link Removed

Attention : La réglementation européenne en matière de réception individuelle des voitures particulières et des camionnettes neuves ou immatriculées depuis moins de 6 mois et produites en grande série dans ou pour des pays tiers (Etats-Unis, Japon,...) a évolué en 2012 pour l’ensemble des Etats membres. En effet, les règles techniques communautaires applicables à ces véhicules (directive 2007/46/CE) sont entièrement harmonisées et d’un niveau particulièrement sévère. Préalablement à tout achat, il est impératif de s’assurer que le véhicule est conforme à cette réglementation communautaire. Sinon, de tels véhicules pourraient se voir refuser l’immatriculation dans l’Union Européenne et donc en France.

En cas de doute, contacter la DREAL/DRIEE/DEAL de votre région avant de réaliser l’opération d’achat envisagée.
Fiches de constitution des dossiers de réception à titre isolé

• Link Removed
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
DID YOU WIN IT FRANKIE?
terry

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well Terry , was just about as my bid was over them all... but ...technology decided it would have the last word ... and failed when the last bid was due!

It's life, what can you say really... technology is fantastic but has unexpected failures you can't go against... with all the money you have !

What a shame!!

Amicalement

May be ... just may be the winner won't turn up... who knows!

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
awwww Frankie :cry::cry::cry::cry:

but remember

They say things always happen for a reason and that applies to both the good and the bad

Keep looking and keep smiling :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Don't worry Gail , you should know me enough to know I'll go on searching!

I'm a bit disappointed..of course, but as you said things often happen for some reason. I would be happy to know that the winner was really in the need of a good van and feels released .

So now (unless some unexpected event...) ...next one please::bigsmile:

And next one could be quite near to me.....

I am waiting for a funster's PM with more info:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back