Can anyone help ? (1 Viewer)

J

joseph97

Deleted User
Hello I am new to this all but I believe I have been ripped off by a motorhome dealer/importer from Hull . I am loathed to post his details but I am now desperate to get some sort of satisfaction . In short he was supposed to do some warranty work for me but unfortunately the vehicle now has more problems after his repair attempts than previous . The bad part is that I live so far away from the dealership & he had it in his workshop for 2 months . Any advice would be gratefully recieved

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hello I am new to this all but I believe I have been ripped off by a motorhome dealer/importer from Hull . I am loathed to post his details but I am now desperate to get some sort of satisfaction . In short he was supposed to do some warranty work for me but unfortunately the vehicle now has more problems after his repair attempts than previous . The bad part is that I live so far away from the dealership & he had it in his workshop for 2 months . Any advice would be gratefully recieved

Hi Joseph,

I'd get in touch with Citizen's advice and Trading Standards.

Sad to hear you've been treated so badly and hope you resolve it to your satisfaction soon.:thumb:

You say "Warranty" work.Is this a new vehicle?If it is,Stress your grievance, in the first instance, to the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, Chatting to other Motorhomers, the level of Customer Service from some Companies, falls way below what you expect (allegedly).It's about time they fell into line and realise they cannot just palm a vehicle off to a buyer and then treat them this way IMHO.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

You really do need to be more explicit and explain your past and present problems.

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I'm with JCM; There's no way to intelligently respond to the rather vague message you posted.

OP
OP
J

joseph97

Deleted User
Thanks for replies

OK here goes,I purchased a new imported Rimor Kat 1 from a dealer in Hull Steven Pritchard Motorhomes limited . He has a showroom on Clough Rd Hull .Anyway some cracks appeared under the Luton bed & he agreed to replace the panel . This didnt happen & he repaired/filled them instead . Bearing in mind I live in South Wales & I have to return the vechicle to Hull.
He had my vehicle for 2 months & was evasive about the whole proceedings .When I picked it up on Sat 14 July the whole scenario was rather odd . The repairs were ok but he made a point of showing me that the Truma heater/hot water was working ok when there never was any problem with it previously.There was a strange Polish gentleman busily re assembling my water heater and cabinet door catches (god only knows why).Also there appeared to be a for sale notice in the window of my van which he got rid of very smartly .When i drove back to Wales i stopped for fuel & found my hook up lead was missing ? Also when i got home on closer inspection the dump valve for the heater had been jacked up with a pipe & screw to my amazement I found this is because the 12 v electrics now now longer operational
When i rang him he was abusive to me & told me to **** off & get a life . I cannot understand his attitude or why this has happened because he has a large forecourt full of vehicles in Hull & appears to be a pillar of society .

Hope this makes sense because i am rather confused to say the least (by the way i have contacted Hull trading standards)

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would write a complaint to Consumer Direct!

Link Removed

You can do it online!
Good Luck!:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Joe,

This dealer obviously doesnt want any repeat business from you.

I would suggest you inspect the repairs closely, if the GRP panel had cracks in it unless there was some reinforcement matting behind them, they will likely crack again. Just filling and repainting or gell coating will not stop them recurring if they were stress cracks in my view.

As to the Truma not working on mains, find a local Truma Agent and get them to check it over under warranty. Your not local to us but if you were, we would do it.

As to the hook up lead, they are not expensive, write it off, its not worth the stress in chasing and agravation, not correct but a lot easier.

Good luck and just enjoy your MH and forget that dealer if thats his attitude, there are a lot better ones out there.

Regards

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Joseph

I think we should all thank you for bringing this sorry situation to our notice, it will certainly help others to avoid such a bad dealer, with any luck they will have to stop trading.

My advice, don't strees over the problems most things can be repaired but keep contacting trading standards and the like to cause the company as much hassle as possible ::bigsmile:

nick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My two-penneth,

as well as trading standards ect i would write a letter to the manager/owner of the dealership stating my concern's and complaints and stating you dont appreciate being told to f**k off and KEEP A COPY yourself then send it RECORDED DELIVER.
you then have proof you sent the letter and can show it to trading standards/ citizens advice ect.

hope you get some satisfaction but it looks like your warrenty is up the spout.:Angry:

just a though, dont know if it works the same with MHs but with a car you can use any authorised dealer for warrenty work as the manufacturer pays the bill anyway.

john.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joseph97

Deleted User
Some progress

I have now managed to get a local electrician to have a look & it appears that the 40amp fuse in the leisure battery compartment had blown . This appears to have been caused by some shoody work carried out on the shower compartment lights . Why they messed around with these lights I dont have a clue ?

Anyway all is working now for a reasonable £35 charge . What I need to do is progress the reimbursement of this charge & the cost of a new hook up lead from Mr Steven Pritchard of Motorhomesltd...........Happy days:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
John

How did you pay? Did you pay by Credit Card if only the deposit. If so then you can claim your rights under section 75(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

RobMD

Free Member
Jul 4, 2008
Penarth, Vale of Glam.
Funster No
A For Sale Notice in the window???
Hook-Up lead missing???
Other faults that you hadn't asked to be repired???

I would check the VIN No. with the reg. document - he hasn't tried to swap motorhomes has he??? It just sounds so odd :whatthe:

L

lynette dickinson

Deleted User
lynette

how about you sending you motorhome back there, but asking him for a replacement while yours is being put right, and then when he rings to say its ready check it over, and if you are not happy, keep his, and if you have any finance on it contact you finiance people inform them, and put it in writing, and tell them if this dealer does not complete the work to your satisfaction then you will withhold payments till its completed. i had similar but with a car, mine did go to court but i won, but the car was deemed "UNFIT FOR THE PURPOSE IT WAS BOUGHT"
sorry to hear your problem, but try that, cheers

M

motorhomesltd

Deleted User
Where Do I start ! put this way trading standards where more than happy read on

let me introduce myself I'm the said Steven Pritchard of Motorhomes ltd Hull.
We supplied the Motorhome to the customer with free delivery to Wales for an amazing price approx 5k below mrp at the time.
We heard nothing from the customer for approx 2 years. The motorhome had not been serviced by any one or inspected at the said intervals ( we accept any approved dealer / service centre )
The customer called us out of the blue and explained that he had some damage (cracks in rear bumper and under bed alkoven ) the customer wanted to leave the Motorhome with us in storage for some time as he had no hires or use for it and it would be convient for him to return in a couple of Months. We agreed due to the distance involved to do this for him.
We explained that it was not under warranty but we would have a look at it. On arrival the client explained that had been renting the Motorhome and that he was interested in buying a new Motorhome as an addition to hire out.
Out of our own good will we agreed to take on the repair work even though the work was not clearly covered under warranty. We did it FREE OF CHARGE.

The client arrived, was more than happy with the repair FREE OF CHARGE EVEN TO THE CRACKED REAR CORNER BUMPER. which was damaged from his hires.

On collection one of our workers pulled the van out and removed the rubber band of the boiler drop valve. We put this around all vans when in storage with us so that they do not drop the water over our site, it is easier than draining them ( which of coarse we do in colder winter months ) the truma boilers drain as we also disconect the batteries so that they do not go flat. ( when going to be left for a long period we remove and put on charge as we can not supply every van with a mains lead. It is easeier to remove them otherwise customers return to a dead and often un recoverable battery)

When trying to explain all of this , the client just kept accusing us of stealing his boiler or parts from it ! The customer drove of unplugging his own mains lead and leaving it behind.

We had accidently put a for sale sign in the van but it was a simple mistake by a member of staff who thought that when we had pulled the van out from storage it was going into our sales area. We had several for sale of this model at the time. Again this was exlained an apology given etc.

The customer then made several phone calls demanding that we had done something to his electrical system as a fuse had blown causing the electrics to go down and demanded paymnet aprox £40 for replacing a fuse ! After trying to explain several times that we where not responsible for a fuse going later on once he had returned home he started accusing us of any and everything.

At this point I told the client to grow up ploitely and stop making silly allegations.

I gave up teaching a 2 years ago. I was a senior teacher in charge of behaviuor units in senior schools I have taught the most disturbed young people within society for over 15 years. Been assulted, put through doors, head butted and had my shirt ripped of.
In all of these situations I have always managed to be polite calm and profesional.
Dealing with these difficult young people with special needs was a doddle when compared to the client in question who got everything for free but still wanted more !

It makes me very sad, we lwork very hard to make people happy. We work on the lowest margins and always go that extra mile. Sometimes you just have to draw a line and move on, I'm generally to easy going but that is a good fault and I hope that experiences like this do not harden my approach to clients in general.

The client called trading standards, they thought that there may have been a problem from the info the client had given
on explaining that the Motorhome wasn't on warranty, but we repaired his own damage from a hire for free they couldn't believe it, we never heard from them or the customer again until I came across this posting.

If anybody is passing this way on there way to Wakles please feel free to call in and have acoffee feel they can collect this poor man's mains lead and return it to him, but be warned he may accuse you of doing something funny with it !

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
And that all just goes to show you should never make a judgement based only on one side of the story.

D.

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
::bigsmile: Ive always said theres two sides to every story - still the entertainment value was excellent::bigsmile: (no offence to either party intended:Smile:)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well Steven, having met you and your wife at a show or two, I did find the posting a little odd.

Thanks for coming on and showing there is two sides to every story, we so often dont get that. You may of set a precident, tomorrow Brownhills might come on and reply to the 10000000s of complaints made about them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Well done to Steven Pritchard of Motorhomes ltd Hull which ever story you believe at least he has the balls to come on here, now if I may offer some advice to Steven, stick around :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
May I second that :thumb: Always nice to have a dealer around to stick his head above the parapet :ROFLMAO: Also welcome to a dealer in this neck of the woods.:ROFLMAO:
Remember the shots come both ways-good and bad - but if you are fair it will only enhance your dealership :thumb:
terry
How the hell did you find this sad story

Last edited:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
motorhome repair

Hi Joseph sorry to hear of your problems Have you thought of getting even by contacting Dominic Littlewood in don t get done get Dom this would show him up for what he has done he needs to be publicly shamed these kind of people make me sick

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Hi Joseph sorry to hear of your problems Have you thought of getting even by contacting Dominic Littlewood in don t get done get Dom this would show him up for what he has done he needs to be publicly shamed these kind of people make me sick

Maybe you should have a read of the reply from the dealer concerned.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back