Can anyone help with floor repair? (1 Viewer)

frankster

Free Member
Jul 25, 2010
Funster No
Hello lovely people.

I've just discovered this site and it's great. I'm from Plymouth and I have a 1989 Swift Kontiki on a Talbot Express that I love dearly. Unfortunately it's had some water ingress and a bit of damp. (I have a friend helping me with repairs). The damage is mostly to the van floor at the rear of the van and the wood has gone soft in places. Water ingress has got to the floor and to the lower frame/wallboards. The water seems to have got in from damage to the rear grp bumper (but could also be the rail seals). It seems to have caused the damp to literally rise!

In terms of the floor repair, my friend thinks it would not be a good idea to cut out the floor/rot since the walls are built onto the floor and cutting this out can affect the structure? He suggests treating it and then laying new ply over? Not sure if this is a good idea? Can anyone help advise here? :Sad:

It still feels to me that the rot should be cut out and then rebuilt? However, it's just the concern about the vans structure being affected that worries me most! I am aware that there is some slight delamination as well. If anyone has any advice is this area, or can help me in any way, that would be appreciated.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hi

It all depends on if the floor has gone on the underneath section to which i doubt as this has alot of weathering on it yearly anyway. Also it depends on how much the damp or water intake has attack the walls, You may get away with drying it out and reseal, but if the timber has gone it needs a strip down, If the floor has gone soft in the areas you walk which is known as delaming this can be cured buy floor glue injection from underneath by drilling small holes and syringing floor glue into them and plugging them after with dowling, (very messy job this way) The other way is holes about 1/2 inch to 1 inch on top in a grid fashion and pouring the glue down the holes and a mushroom effect will happen when it goes off, The glue melts the foam insulation and bonds it all very hard, then you have to chesil the excess off after,

If you can stick a screw driver into the walls and floor very easy without any presure then it needs a strip out and replace,

And this all needs to be done in a nice dry place.

I had a old 2 berth caravan that was really bad in one corner under the bed and i was going to strip it all but i decided to dry it out and inject the floor and i also injected the wall area and it ended up being more stronger than the original way ::bigsmile:

this will help too - http://www.1carpc.co.uk/wcdr/delamination.htm

Regards

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back