Can anyone help with a mystery switch please? (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sorry the pic is a bit blurred but does anyone have an idea what the switch to the right of the steering wheel is. It only lights when the igition is on?

We found another one on the side of a locker but have found this is for heating the waste water tank.

Cheers

image.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have one. It is something to do with telling you your alarm is working I think. Mine blinks when I set the alarm.... however, I am sure it is supposed t stay on all the time to deter thieves. Hopefully, if I am wrong ... as per norm...:) someone will come along soon. x

Upvote 0

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have a switch in the same place and it is to activate tracker movement sensor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hmm ok thanks both.... Joy we don't have an alarm as far as we know, wonder if it's had a tracker at some point, there's nothing in the paperwork for one.

I don't suppose there's any way of finding out - will there be another unit fitted somewhere?

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is it a switch or just a light?

If a switch be brave, turn it off see what doesn't happen any more :D

It is odd to have anything with a light so low down where you cant see it

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Does the wee red light press in like a button, we have one like that on the dash and you can press the light to change settings

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Is rocker switch the right description? It's a definate switch off/on but only lights when the ignition is on.

Not sure if/how long it stays on - we're just sitting out the heavy rain/wind. Will have to have a play when it's dry to see if it's to do with the lights.

It looks exactly like this one but we have discovered that the waste tank heater.

image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We have, several times, nothing apparently:cool:

But wondering about kelvs or lorgers suggestions.

Actually lorger which settings are you referring to? It's on a renault base and we have been trying to work out how to get the clock to display on the dash

Upvote 0

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have the exact same switch on my hymer when they fitted the tracker this switch appeared I asked what it was for and they said switch it on when not using the motorhome so tracker people can sense any movement from unwanted guests. Phantom tracker must be activated for switch to work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Ok thanks kelv - we took it they were after market fit, not sure where to go from here.... It has finally stopped raining so we'll be able to have another prod and poke around(y)

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
On the strike back alarm they fit a button which turns on/off the security loop for bikes ect. The loop comes as a extra and attached to the system at the rear of the van.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
On the strike back alarm they fit a button which turns on/off the security loop for bikes ect. The loop comes as a extra and attached to the system at the rear of the van.

Thank you. I wondered what my button was for too.. you have now told me .. whey hey. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thank you. I wondered what my button was for too.. you have now told me .. whey hey. :)

Glad someone's getting sorted - we're still no wiser:think:....re-reading kelvs suggestion don't think it could've been a tracker as the switch only lights when the ignition is turned

We'll still keep fiddling:smiley:

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
could also be a switch for the supply to the fridge when using the camper leave it so it lights up when engine running, if you don't need to keep the fridge cool just turn it off , they often used to be fitted when using lucas 33ra relay's to interrupt the wire from C3 to the fridge via a lower rated relay http://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/lucas-srb630-33441-33ra-12v-60a-split-charge-relay-1583-p.asp I have also seen them used as a switch to operate the relay sending a 12v supply to W1 instead of connecting to the alternator, with this set up your leisure battery will not get charged and fridge will not work unless the switch is on.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
See if you can follow the wires, may mean you standing on your head though lol.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
My strikeback has a switch (without the light) so that you can turn off the external "bleeper" that sounds when you set the alarm. I have a loop for the bikerack but haven't used it as yet. Must give it a try.

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Is it a swich that overided the auto turn off of the lights when you take the key out. There will be some situations when you want to leave the lights on but with no engine running. theolder peugeots used to have a switch that left the sidelights on Phill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for your replies everyone - still looking......it's a thin, single cable (comparable with a single piece of bell wire) and runs over to the passenger side and disappears through the bulk head in the passenger well (so oh says lol)

Just having a cuppa then will have a peek under the bonnet

Last edited:
Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you have a button on your alarm switch that you point at the van.... try standing in the van and pointing it at the light button on dash and holding down the button in your hand for three seconds... What happens?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the exact same switch on my hymer when they fitted the tracker this switch appeared I asked what it was for and they said switch it on when not using the motorhome so tracker people can sense any movement from unwanted guests. Phantom tracker must be activated for switch to work.

So anyone nicking your van only has to switch it off and you won't know the vans moved, that doesn't sound right to me.:think:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sorry got distracted:)

We're on our first trip out in 1st mh...... went a pootle to Calshot to see the liners going out....and called at The Red Lion for tea to spend our last xmas vouchers:LOL:

Will investigate more in the morning

God it's great innit this motorhoming lark(y)

Ps promise to stop pressing the switch till morning:)

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If it is a British van it could be a 12v override like I have fitted on mine. Put your step out, turn the engine over, the step should go in... Switch the switch and try it again, if the step stays out I'm tight.

Upvote 0

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
The switch stops the van being moved without breaking in it does not disable the tracker ie lifted or towed

Upvote 0

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The switch turns off the internal movements sensors on the alarm you press it then get out and arm the alarm if you have pets it will stop the alarm going off when they move about in the van on my 57 plate ducato you can do the same by pressing the arm button then pressing it again I have learnt this by getting half way to the toilet block for a shower then hearing my alarm going off because the dog has got up on the drivers seat hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
While looking for the weight plate on Mo I found all sorts of switches and wires lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We've not long got back home from the New Forest. Loved it, wanna go away again asap(y)

We were told there's no alarm - so stupid question how do we know if there is one:oops:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Well we found out - some spotlights had been fitted, it's for them:doh::laughing:

Odd place though for the switch as you can't see it when in the drivers seat.

And if it hadn't have been raining/blowing/thunderstorms so much whilst we were away we'd have worked it out quicker:whistle2::blush:

Thanks for everyones suggestions though:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back