Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We've bought a new to us Rapido low profile coachbuilt on a 57 plate
Our Garmin Nuvi mostly refuses to find satellites though I can navigate using my phone on the dash.
We've just purchased a new sat nav which works perfectly outside the van but instantly looses satellites the moment I step in the door.
I'm at the end of my tether, does anyone have any ideas please ????
Cheers nige

OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Sadly no hint of a tint

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
cant offer any solutions, but suggest you maybe borrow a friends and try that before buying another, we have a couple of tom toms both work fine in our Hymer A class

what about your phone does that have a GPS option? does that work inside?

OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Phone works perfectly using Google maps.
Cannot understand why the satnav doesn't.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
There's a recent thread on electronics in motorhome "clashing" with each other on here. Something to do with reception (I think). Can't remember who posted but might be worth a search. There again might not be relevant?

OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Fiat Ducato X250
Unfortunately there's no where to plug an aerial into. According to the bloke in Halfords no-one makes one that has an external aerial.

OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Could try making your lovely wife hang out of the window holding on to it for the journey.. ;) how lovely .. new van .. hope to see it soon someday.
I'll leave it to you to suggest that Joy.
Fact-is I ain't brave enough

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Fiat Ducato X250
Unfortunately there's no where to plug an aerial into. According to the bloke in Halfords no-one makes one that has an external aerial.

If it is a newer model without a socket, then a signal booster may be the answer:

Amazon product ASIN B001UI4Z2A

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Might be a stupid suggestion but does your Nuvi have the we flap up Aerial, mine has this and is meant to be for use with heated windscreens. If not then apart from the reset button under the flap I cant help

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have a garmin and it does that horizontal but find it is no problem vertical :LOL: honestly nige it worked.
Ours is a Rapido van. (y)

I was going to say let the misses drive but your be stuck on a bus route. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We used to have a rapido low profile and a garmin nuvi and the combination worked fine. Assume you're placing the GPS on the dash near the windscreen? And as others have said it is not either a heated screen or heat insulated glass,? either of which can cause problems. There is a ducato / boxer option to have insulating glass but as far as I know it was never standard. But if its had a new screen at some point???

Otherwise I'd suspect a faulty nuvi, they don't last forever!

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
On our recent flights into and back from Pisa, I found my ipad could pick up the GPS signals in the 'plane, but my TomTom 6100 could not!
(Can you tell I'm not particularly enamoured of TomTom?)

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We have a Rapido of similar vintage (07 plate), and the new Garmin Nuvi we bought in Berlin works fine. We have never tried to use it other than attached to the windscreen below the mirror, but it's not stopped working yet!! Are you running anything else 'unusual' in the Moho, which might be interfering?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
A basic gps receiver needs line of sight with at least three satellites to get a fix. When sitting in a metal box this may be limited to what is coming in through the windscreen. However some phones, such as recent iphones, use assisted gps which also pulls in position data from phone masts and wifi hotspots to help get a quick fix. On top of this I think the iphone uses glosnass the Russian system alongside the US gps, increasing its chances of getting satellite coverage. I have no idea what tricks the Nuvi might employ but I doubt that it can back up poor satellite signals with phone cell and wifi info.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We sometimes have to hold our sat nag up to a side window to lock on to satelites and can then move it into the middle of the cab.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I would put the sat-nav up in the skylight and let Mrs sit in the back giving directions.....(y)

It’s no different in my van.... red.... car..... breaking..... third exit.... green..... left.....:cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try moving the sat nav to different areas in the camper to try to isolate the area that stops it working, sometimes radios, other electrical kit etc, can confuse them so this may help, it can also make a difference WHERE you are, ie what your location is, as to how strong the reception for the satellite 'beams' is, we occasionally have issues with our sat navs (different makes at different times) but it is usually because we're in a weak satellite receiving area.

Reactions: Pia

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have a garmin and it does that horizontal but find it is no problem vertical :LOL: honestly nige it worked.
Ours is a Rapido van. (y)

I was going to say let the misses drive but your be stuck on a bus route. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

20171001_141906.jpg

There you go nige...........perfect.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
1 - Have you tried resetting it back to factory settings?
2 - Try asking Garmin, they're quite helpful and even replaced mine free of charge (it was 4/5 years old but the replacement was a refurbed unit) when I had an obscure fault.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It seems like a lifetime ago but about two years ago our Garmin Nuvi suddenly and without warning closed down and refused, at the point of a dustbin, to restart.
I found out that there is 'reset' button at the rear of the device. It isn't the usual 'hole' in which to put a needle. No. Garmin make resetting the device by hiding the reset button!!!

On the back of the device is a strip of plastic giving details of the unit. Remove that piece of plastic and you will find a nipple. Stick your fingernail onto the 'nipple' and squeeze(continuously)
That should reset the device.
With a little luck, the gremlin that stops your Garmin picking up the satellites will be removed.
Hope that this is of use(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It could well have a signal hidden away somewhere.
Had one in a car last year doing the same thing.
Previous owner had 'black box' insurance and had fitted the jammer so they could not suss out where he had been / was going!

May 8, 2008
Stafford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
Has it got a tracker on it we had a problem with our 962m it would find a signal when th engine was off but when started it would lose its signal phantom sorted it disconnecting the ignition live wire off the tracker

OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Has it got a tracker on it we had a problem with our 962m it would find a signal when th engine was off but when started it would lose its signal phantom sorted it disconnecting the ignition live wire off the tracker

Aha, we have a Phantom tracker fitted. Now that's something I'll look into. Many thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back