Can anyone help a Motorhome virgin!? (1 Viewer)

TimH

Free Member
Apr 13, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi All

I’m new to the forum and indeed to motorhoming, since I don’t have one yet! :) So I could do with a bit of advice from more experienced owners, please..

We have about £20k to spend on a secondhand motorhome, which is a heck of a lot of money to me, but clearly doesn’t go that far with motorhomes as I’m finding out. I’m in no major rush as I want to get it right, so am doing as much research as I can to reduce my chances of buying a dud.

I’ve tried to list a few of our main requirements and some of the m/h’s I like the look of but would like some advice on any obvious m/h’s I haven’t included or whether I should be wary of some of the ones I have (replacement parts problems, quality flaws, etc). So here goes..

My main criteria (I think!)

1. No wood! In my price range it’s likely to be over 10yrs old, so I want to avoid m/h’s with wood in the construction as moisture will get in, eventually. Especially living in sunny Cornwall!

2. Only needs to be 2 berth

3. Less than 6m long and ideally less than 3500kg. (Driveway storage, practicality and French town restrictions on weight)

4. Decent sized living area. (Two long bench seats perfect)

5. Full sized double bed. Happy to make it up daily or a pull-down type. Over cab type would be too claustrophobic though. Panel vans seem too short or too narrow.

6. Somewhere to store a mattress topper if using the living area as a bed

7. Well screwed together as rattles will infuriate my wife (I have a Defender so can deal with noise!)

8. Basic kitchen is fine. Gas hob and microwave/grill suitable.

The main problem seems to be combining a good sized living area with my preference for avoiding wood in the construction. I may be worrying too much about wooden frames, but as I work in engineering I know that suitable aluminium box section/tubing is pretty cheap (< £5/metre) and is very easy to work with, so I’m loathed to gamble with British manufacturers preference for wooden structures - irrespective of the “21st century aerospace bonding techniques” commonly marketed. (conveniently omitting to mention the 19th century cart horse technology it’s covering up!!)

I’ve therefore been looking at the following, but could do with a few more options since there are very few of these about:

- small A Class Hymers (Like B544) and Frankia’s I600 but they are very expensive or old and hard to find.

- Dethleffs globebus T3 2 berth, probably too new yet for my price range. I assume its Aluminium/GRP and closed cell foam construction?

I like the Autotrail Tracker size, layout, etc so something like that without the wooden structure..

Other than the above I’m struggling. Has anyone got any other suggestions? What are Pilote, Adria m/h’s made from and is the quality good? (ie: on a par or better than Autotrail/Auto Sleeper as a minimum I suppose – although obviously all subjective)

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, even if it’s “give up and buy a better tent”!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well you certainly know what you want but if it's not a panel van conversion you want you may struggle with the aversion to timber been used in the construction...
In something under 6m you will have to put up with a fair bit of compromise ...
Good luck , and hope you find something....
Ahhh where's me manners lol..... welcome to the forum...
Andy

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Tim, if you pay your subs, you will be able to download the Guide to Buying a MH, which will help give you the questions to ask when you find one you like the look of.
Don't discount Panel vans, they are slightly narrower but, especially in Cornwall, you will find easier to drive. We have one and find we have plenty of space for 2.
Good luck with your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TimH

TimH

Free Member
Apr 13, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks Andy. Yes I'm beginning to realise the compromises needed :)

OP
OP
TimH

TimH

Free Member
Apr 13, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks Annie. Yes, I think i need to have a better look at panel vans. I like the idea of one, just haven't found the layout we like yet

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Hi Tim. For living space in a 6m van and woodfree construction you probably can't do much better than a Hymer 544.

We didn't find the pulldown bed claustrophobic although it did get a bit airless if it was hot at night. Had ours for 10 years and loved it.

Most for sale seem to be LHD but that suited us. Only sold it because we wanted more payload to carry a scooter.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you do want to find a Hymer, then consider importing a LHD from Germany where more readily available. Plenty of advice from Funsters on here who have gone just that.

OP
OP
TimH

TimH

Free Member
Apr 13, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi.
Yes the 544 looks to be the best option for the A class, so need to get out and look to see if the drop down bed is suitable. LHD would be fine so might have to consider the trim to Germany - more choice is always good!

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi and welcome to mhf. There are 2
Main things here to start with No 1 Be very careful of buying on eBay many cons on there and many very cheap usually a con but whatever you but never hand any money over till Mh is actually in front of you and keys in your hands.
No 2 Go and visit Mh show there is one on at Peterborough next weekend the 20th April area and you can see 100s of layouts in many different types including many panel vans. If you go there with mhf there may be about 150 members all with different types of vans to look at See you there
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I imported a LHD from Germany - or at least the person I bought it from imported it for me.

It meets with most of your wishes. There's a massive bed at the back but I use the pull down bed and don't find it claustrophobic in the slightest. There's room to sit up and move around and other things if other things are also in your list. I put a skylight in there too so there's always air coming in.

The cooking areas in older Hymers are quite basic with only a two ring gas hob but it's possible to jig things around and, with a smaller fridge it's possible to include an oven and grill. (This is my next big job)

What I like best is the U shaped lounge. It's my dining room/work room/entertainment centre and general chill out zone. I've been known to have 13 people sitting here at one point. Yes. We were very good friends. :)

I paid very little for mine and I've spent about 7k getting it set up the way I want:- gas tank, new leaf springs, new shower room and general tidying up. Altogether it cost me 10k.

Here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of the space available.

IMG_8409.JPG
IMG_8410.JPG

IMG_8411.JPG

It's a Hymer 550s by the way. The 's' tells you it's a Mercedes.

OP
OP
TimH

TimH

Free Member
Apr 13, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
thanks Garry. I'll certainly tread carefully with it being £20k+

yes, I'm very wary of ebay, been stung before but only for £1.70! Although my wife did cancel her account on principle :)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
What Wagoneer said!
18 months ago we sold the 1999 Hymer B640 Starline we'd had for nearly ten years for £17k, so well within your budget. We too would have kept it but for the need for scooter garage capacity (although we did actually carry a scooter on a tow-bar rack).
This generation of Hymer is really well built, with almost current methods and materials, while not being so technically leading edge that they are frail or temperamental. The Starline was in almost perfect condition when we sold it, and had cost us roughly £1k per year depreciation.
So, your budget will get you a very nice, comfortable and capable motorhome that will age well and not lose too much in value over the years.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome.

Check out the Classic Hymer Group on Facebook.

Often have very well loved, affordable Hymers (plus loads of bits and pieces) for sale from their owners (not dealers) well within your budget.

JJ :cool:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello @TimH and welcome to the Fun :hiya: - from another Funster in Cornwall - whereabouts are you?

I see you've used up your 5 free posts as a read-only (guest) Funster - this means you need to subscribe to keep on posting and to give you access to all sorts of additional areas of the forum as well as valuable free downloads like the one that @Riverbankannie mentioned. It's only £15 per year - the best £15 investment you could ever make! Easy to do, and you get to have personal messages, meets and rallies, jokes and banter, and amazing friendships:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi & :welco:

Hang on till Friday 8am & subs are on offer ! :LOL:

preloved motorhomes& campers is always worth a look-

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and welcome, I'll only say three words, layout, layout, layout.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:

I don't think you need any advice on what to buy I think you have it sussed.:D2
Have a look Link Removed probably lists nearly every Motorhome for sale in Germany.

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
With your budget you could buy a twin wheel mini-bus and convert to your own spec and stay within budget . If you have the time . Windows will already be done

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 10

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun