can anybody enhance the colour please? (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi clever photography people who have editing software!
I took these 5 snaps today and the colour's even more washed out than it was in real life. It's a sort of rainbow on the surface of the sea. Not sure I've ever seen one before.
Is anybody able/ willing to enhance them for me please?
IMG_7344.JPG IMG_7345.JPG IMG_7346.JPG IMG_7347.JPG IMG_7348.JPG
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I can enhance them for you Wendy. What would you like, a fleet of sailing ships in the background, porpoises leaping from the water, herds of wildebeest on the foreshore? :LOL:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I can enhance them for you Wendy. What would you like, a fleet of sailing ships in the background, porpoises leaping from the water, herds of wildebeest on the foreshore? :LOL:
porpoises or whales would do fine Rob thanks
or best doggy Holly sitting on a raft

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
An interesting effect, but I`ve no idea what causes it.
Last year in Llandovery I saw a circular rainbow.
Where were the photos taken ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I saw one in a straight downward line yesterday ... like a ruler of beautiful colours .. Jacob's ladder?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last year in Llandovery I saw a circular rainbow.

Around the Sun perchance? If so, it's the same phenomenon that creates Sun Dogs - high altitude ice crystals.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
If you're using an iPhone or an iPad there's a brilliant free app called PS Express. Cut down version of photoshop. It's excellent.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Once enhanced the pictures are no longer pure and realistic. Just as easy to create the effect from scratch

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I took this one of a beautiful rainbow yesterday... (y)

upload_2017-5-20_21-17-13.jpeg

But I forgot to take the lens cover off... :doh:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Modern point and shot cameras do a pretty good job but depending on time of day, light levels and direction of sun light they may not reproduce exactly what you see with your eyes.
Do you not agree that enhancing and manipulating the image to what the eye saw is acceptable ??

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Where were the photos taken ?
Porthtowan, north coast of Cornwall, looking almost due west, maybe a little bit north of west
If you're using an iPhone or an iPad there's a brilliant free app called PS Express. Cut down version of photoshop. It's excellent.
just my 11 year old Canon G7
Once enhanced the pictures are no longer pure and realistic. Just as easy to create the effect from scratch
how, please?
also the photos don't show the scene as I saw it - I'm not looking for an 'effect' just to have some reminder of what my brain actually registered

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As most cameras use JPEG image compression software the image is already being electronically altered from that which entered the lens, so there's no way JPEGS can be seen as pure and unmodified. However they suit most peoples' purposes so who cares?

Photos were being enhanced in the darkroom by photographers long before digital technology arrived. Look closely at the old WW1 soldier portraits - a lot of them have been worked on with pencil to pick out fine details that the camera lost.

the photos don't show the scene as I saw it - I'm not looking for an 'effect' just to have some reminder of what my brain actually registered

Exactly. Although when I switched from my Fuji bridge camera to my Canon DSLR I started getting the images I actually saw through the viewfinder. Doesn't stop me enhancing them though :)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
This photo doesn't look natural at all. Doomed to obscurity I think. :)

View attachment 164087

I suggest you clean your lens, there appears to be a dirty great thumb print on the RHS causing the sun to flare.
No point having a great camera if your lens is dirty:whistle:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks @Jim , I appreciate your time on what's been a busy day for you.

I still don't know what this effect is called though, or how it happens - I assume there must have been spray although as you can see it looks quite calm and flat - does anybody know?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!

I still don't know what this effect is called though, or how it happens - I assume there must have been spray although as you can see it looks quite calm and flat - does anybody know?

It's possible that it was caused by light shining through water which was evaporating in the unusually hot weather with the sea still being very cold. The sea is at its coldest (in most cases in April) and its warmest in October.
We've all seen spectacular sunsets and large pink moons rising only to appear to get smaller as it rises higher in the sky, you get all sorts of optical effects caused by moisture or air pollution. My thoughts anyway for what its worth(y)

Deleted User
Anyone looking for photo editing software should consider using Gimp. As good as photoshop for most editing and free to download

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Anyone looking for photo editing software should consider using Gimp. As good as photoshop for most editing and free to download
I've heard Gimp being recommended before but there doesn't seem to be a good version for Android. There's an app called Gimp Inkscape but in the notes it says it isn't currently being updated. It also takes up 1Gb of space and can't be installed on an SD card, which my tablet doesn't have anyway, so I'll give it a miss, but for a PC I suspect it is good.
I just use the editing facilities on Google photos on my tablet when away and it seems to do a reasonable job. I may then play with the best images using Lightroom or Photoshop at home later.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've heard Gimp being recommended before but there doesn't seem to be a good version for Android. There's an app called Gimp Inkscape but in the notes it says it isn't currently being updated. It also takes up 1Gb of space and can't be installed on an SD card, which my tablet doesn't have anyway, so I'll give it a miss, but for a PC I suspect it is good.
I just use the editing facilities on Google photos on my tablet when away and it seems to do a reasonable job. I may then play with the best images using Lightroom or Photoshop at home later.
Has anyone else had google enhanced photos done automatically and sent to your phone, as far as I know I havnt asked for this or signed up for anything different but just lately after taking a photo with my phone I will get a message a while later to look at my new enhanced photo, not every one but just a random photo.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Has anyone else had google enhanced photos done automatically and sent to your phone, as far as I know I havnt asked for this or signed up for anything different but just lately after taking a photo with my phone I will get a message a while later to look at my new enhanced photo, not every one but just a random photo.
Happens to me too, it will be hidden in their T&Cs that if you back up images to their system they can play with them. They've got into trouble in the past about this, something to do with images of someone's daughter who had died. It doesn't stop them - Google have zero interest in copyright. :)

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
SNAPSEED is an excellent Android "Photoshop" tool. Very intuitive with some nice effects. I love it.

Good discussion about "reality" of photographs above. People can get very snobby about Photoshop without realising that every modern camera does a fair bit of "shopping", in the background, to produce every image.

I use Photoshop to make my images look like how I remember the event. I have no interest in how my Camera thinks I should remember it.

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.

Hi,
Nice photos :)
Was the sun behind you when the photos were taken and perhaps some drizzle out to sea?
If so, I think what you photographed is the top of a rainbow.

The amount of a rainbow you see depends on the height of the Sun at the time.
A rainbow appears about 42 degrees in radius.

When the sun is on the horizon you will see a 'full height' rainbow. As the position of the sun is higher the less of the rainbow you see.
So when the sun is 42 degrees above the horizon you'll just see the top of the bow. If the sun is any higher and the bow won't be visible.

Here's an example -
https://68.media.tumblr.com/7599e33...9a66/tumblr_inline_ntnifeAB7X1ss5nvo_1280.jpg
All the best.
Dave.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I'm wondering if you maybe saw the very bottom of one of these? There are probably angles where you are maybe too close to see the rest?

P1000243_zps7dv2d7zw.jpg

P1000242_zpsdduausui.jpg

Reactions: CWH

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
I'm wondering if you maybe saw the very bottom of one of these? There are probably angles where you are maybe too close to see the rest?

Your bands of colour are changing horizontally.
In CW'Hs photos the colours are changing vertically, indicating CWH was looking at just the very top section of a bow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back