Can any one tell me a rough price to replace Sills? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had another thought... Not sure if this is practical.

If I go for the patch method. Would it be sensible drill small holes along the inner sill and spray in rust converter, then some form of protection.
I was thinking of this. Then waxoyl sprayed in.

Then get it all patched up properly?

The bottom strips could wire brushed down to good metal and a new strip welded in place where it needs it?

Probably talking out of my butt on this one. But aiming to get 2-3 year more life out of the van before I replace it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
no one can tell without looking at it to be honest....just take it around and get quotes.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I have had another thought... Not sure if this is practical.

If I go for the patch method. Would it be sensible drill small holes along the inner sill and spray in rust converter, then some form of protection.
I was thinking of this. Then waxoyl sprayed in.

Then get it all patched up properly?

The bottom strips could wire brushed down to good metal and a new strip welded in place where it needs it?

Probably talking out of my butt on this one. But aiming to get 2-3 year more life out of the van before I replace it.
No, don't underseal it until repair is done as the sealant is flammable and will make welding a nightmare.
From what you say it sounds that patching is possible, and if you get it done properly now, properly treated with protection and repainted then there is absolutely no reason you cannot get a few years out of this van...... Get it to a reputable repairer, get a quote for a proper repair and get it sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
If you get the job done properly then treated and sprayed to match then provided the rest of the van is of good condition there is no reason to change vehicles for a long time. The problem with many welders is they are working to a budget and the work they do is to get it through MOT not to seriously extend the life of the vehicle. Only you can decide which route to take and how much you want to spend.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The problem with many welders is they are working to a budget and the work they do is to get it through MOT not to seriously extend the life of the vehicle.

Absolutely correct.
The amount of lads that try to weld with a MIG set to high, too low, wire feed to fast/slow, gas flow incorrect and it hissing and spitting or burning holes.
The edges require a continous good penetration weld, no gaps left and finished properly.
Sills are also structural so needs doing right.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Pop rivets and loads of underseal to hide them. :D

Ian

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Pop rivets and loads of underseal to hide them. :D

Ian
Ive seen that done and bitumen flashband too in order to get cars fit for scrapping past an MOT. lots of structural strength

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
If you don't do it properly and have an accident, it may affect your insurance if the van is seen to be structurally unsound.

Our Mercedes has a massive chassis and only very limited body rust, but we are still going to get it done properly.

Money is always tight, but skimping on body/structure repairs is false economy.

Peter

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Mercs are a pain, underseal an inch thick to scrape of first.

Ian

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well it passed it's MOT. So I may get another year out of it after all. I was able to get in the PIT and have a really good look at the underneath. It is bad in places but doesn't go to the edge of any panels. It is not near the actual floor of the van so may get away without stripping the internals out. The worst places are the very lower edges of the sills. where the inner and outer join. 2 more holes in the outer sill but the inner sill appears to be hole free.

Got to get the engine starting problem sorted out and a new exhaust. But then I will crack on with getting the underneath done.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back