Can a Smartie be..... (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi , we have a smart car auto box and tow it everywhere although the hand book says something like don't tow more than 30 Klicks or 30 mph we do and many others do . We just make sure we put it in natural with the ignition switched on and dont seem to have any problems .

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They are all automatic - the robotic manual variety. Why have the ignition on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Not sure Tony but was told by the previous owner to do this now not sure he was correct but he said neutral was selected electronically and if the ignition wasn't on it didn't always go into neutral . Seems to have worked so far (y)

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Any body come up with the definitive answer please. Got a choice between a 16 plate 5 speed manual or a 17 plate 6 speed auto.t
Or does opinion favour a smart trailer?

Thanks Howard and Tony for your input.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure Tony but was told by the previous owner to do this now not sure he was correct but he said neutral was selected electronically and if the ignition wasn't on it didn't always go into neutral . Seems to have worked so far (y)
Agreed. The tranny needs an electrical supply to work.
You can select neutral on the lever without ignition on but the box is still in drive mode.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The older models .. Ignition on, select neutral, ignition off

Newer models..
Minxey taught me some time ago that the newer models have a true manual box fitted
No idea if the newer auto box ones can be towed.. If they are true auto's ( the old ones were robot controlled manual ) there may be issues with over heating ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I'd only have an auto Smart, we have one with paddles on the steering wheel so we can use the gear lever to change gear, or the paddles (more fun!), or just be lazy and put it into auto mode, I used to have a manual one but must admit that having the auto is much better, especially if you're using it for town driving or where you'd be going up/down the gears a lot (although they all change down automatically anyway if you let them). As for towing one, can't help I'm afraid as I've never actually done it with any of my Smart cars. Having towed a car (not a Smart) on an old-fashioned 'bar' type frame (pre-cursor to 'a' frames) and seen the wear it put on the linkages etc of the car being towed, I'd always use a trailer, others disagree so that's something you'll need to decide for yourself.

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thanks Dame Smarty aka minxy girl and SheldonC.
I think with the doubt, and being a cowardy custard at heart, I'll go down the trailer route
Geoff

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've had both an A Frame with a smart and a trailer with a smart and both are easy to connect up and tow. However if space an issue then it would be an A Frame as long as no euro use and no reversing (unless you want to unhitch). If using in Europe then trailer but for ease of use get one with a motormover on as this just makes it plain easy to move about without unloading the car first although the cost of these movers are extremly high, and reversing is a lot simpler as well as nothing to do aside from reverse that is :). It all depends on your own requirements to be honest as each has its good and bad points.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back