Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Just found out that my Avtex 19" TV has sound but no picture. I don't even get the illuminated green/white screen that lets you know it is switched on. I'm tempted to think it is time to put it in the bin and buy a new one but I have one question first.

If I buy the right 17.3 inch laptop will it connect up easily to freesat?

The freesat side of things has worked well and I know my way round making it find the signal well enough.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
does the freesat box have a HDMI output - if so you can get laptops with hdmi input that would work for you

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Yes it does. Am I ok to get a laptop without a TV tuner and rely on the freesat box? It is very possible that I buy the laptop and make all the connections only for it to not work (that's me all over).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
just had a look for one, they are quite rare and darned expensive

Alternative would be a laptop with plugin tv tuner - good article here on it

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I have used a memory stick sized tuner into a laptop, it also had a video input. It worked fine, I just gave up on it because of nothing worth watching being on.

May give a few ideas.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I'v got a 19" Avtex in the garage. I changed it for one with a dvd player. PM me if interested.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Short answer yes, it can.. but just my opinion , why use an expensive lappy for tv.. it also has to sit somewhere.. there are plenty of cheap 12v tvs on the market that are easy to wall mount.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Short answer yes, it can.. but just my opinion , why use an expensive lappy for tv.. it also has to sit somewhere.. there are plenty of cheap 12v tvs on the market that are easy to wall mount.
:)
I always have my laptop but we haven't got a TV so the thread is of interest to me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:)
I always have my laptop but we haven't got a TV so the thread is of interest to me.

ok.. it was only my opinion..

there are two ways of having TV on your laptop..

If the laptop has an HDMI - IN .. you can connect the output of the Freesat or Freeview ..
More info here

Or, use a USB TV Freeview tuner.. more info here Broken Link Removed
you will still need a decent outside aerial in all but very strong signal areas. ..
Freeview Tuner Example

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Using a laptop is possible, once the connections etc are sorted, but it is never as good as a proper TV IMV, usually takes more power to run and the screen can be affected more by light than a TV.

Personally I'd see how much cranky above wants for his Avtex or get a standard TV (some come with 12v connections) and use that.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've solved my problem. Turns out my TV is still in good working order. The leisure battery was almost totally out of power and could only provide enough juice to power the sound. Once I turned the engine on the picture came back. Sorry for wasting everybody's efforts.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I'll put it back in the garage then:(

Reactions: JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back