Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
We have only ever been camping so please excuse my dumbness!

If you go to a campsite and don't want electric hook up, can you set up anywhere like you would with a tent or do they make you park is a designated MH area?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@Babyell don't worry about calais... As has been well reported on here there are really no problems if you use the tunnel.

Re solar.. We don't use it. We have 2 180ah batteries and use hook up when we can. We can last for a few days without it.. Certainly a weekend if required. Having no requirement for solar at present doesn't mean we will never get it.
Lots of cs and cl in the UK have ehu. In fact we were at one at Holmfirth the other week that had it... And was in a field. Cost £3 extra.
You should give Europe a try though. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Upvote 0

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Usually you choose the spot then notify the office with the pitch no. Why wouldn't you want leccy ?

More to the point why would you want EHU.
It is a total rip-off, charging £3 per night at least for EHU, or as they call it now a "serviced pitch" because it is against the law now to sell electricity at a profit.
Just stop and think a minute if you had electric hookup for 365 days in a year the total cost would be £1095 per year. That is more than I pay for a years gas and electric for a 3 bedroomed detached house !!!!
Lets face it you cannot use much electric in a Motorhome, especially in the summer months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
@tonyidle , I see you are in Kendal....Do you know if Hill of Oaks site has a good reputation?
Sorry no idea - too close to home to use :). To answer another of your questions: most sites accept dogs. Some actually advertise the fact but most don't. Any site that DOES NOT allow dogs will ALWAYS state the fact on their web page.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
We have just been to our usual site Park foot in ullswater. We decided to try somewhere we knew on our first trip.... LOVED it!!! We just parked in a quiet corner of a field, kids had loads of room to play. Survived the night with no EHU. Hubby watched tv (which worked and picked up loads of channels) and battery still has loads of life in the morning. I definitely prefer being away from EHU. I have to say after camping for the last few years I didn't realise the benefit behind MH's and I felt a little smug watching everyone packing and trying to squeeze everything into their cars. We just wound in canopy and put chairs away and off we went. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
We have been told about britstops. Is it worth buying the book? Are there good stopovers in it?

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We have been told about britstops. Is it worth buying the book? Are there good stopovers in it?
Yes, and Yes, if they're in the right location for you.
As somebody (I think it was BritStops themselves) said - don't look on it as a way of saving money, but as a way of enjoying your money - or some such thing - we use them as a 'treat' for a meal out every so often.
Check out the BritStops Group here on FUN.
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Caerus

Free Member
Dec 30, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Travel Van
Exp
What's a 'TV'?

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Can recommend Castlerigg Hall. Good facilities with small shop and Bistro on site. Dogs are permitted and it us possible to walk into Keswick. The walk back however is up hill!

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'd be lost without my solar panel. I only use free Aires on the continent, so after an evening of television or just living in the van, it's nice to know that the batteries will be charged in the morning, in a surprisingly short time. Besides, if the van is parked at home for any length of time, the panel will maintain the batteries. Incidentally, I installed a "splitter" to enable charging of two domestic, and one engine battery. Good investment.

Hi
Could you let me have list of what you bought?
Sent me an email if its more convenient.

Upvote 0

jimlagos

Free Member
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi
Could you let me have list of what you bought?
Sent me an email if its more convenient.

Sorry for delay responding. The solar panel and regulator were on the van already when I bought it from Belgium.The size of panel is similar to ones I've seen sold for around £300.00. I installed a "splitter" to enable charging of all batteries. The splitter was mere pennies from Maplins.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"CL" Acronym for Certified Location, (The Camping and Caravanning Club, use 'CS' which stands for Certified Site.

Various camping organisations have the authority to grant landowners the Certificate to allow a maximum of 5 Caravans and Motorhomes (plus tents in certain places) to pitch on their premises.
The sites can range from 'just' a field with a tap and a black water emptying point to some rather swish places that wouldn't be out of place when compared to commercial organisations.
You have to be a member:whistle::whistle::whistle: officially of the organisation that granted the Certificate to stay there ahhm??

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back