LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Earlier in the year we stopped at a campsite on the western outskirts of Almeria, in southern Spain - La Garrofa ( http://www.lagarrofa.com/ ) We had a pitch directly adjacent to (in fact almost on) the beach. It was a lovely cove and a stunning location. At night the lapping of the waves and the moon glinting on the water was amazing. An added bonus is the fact it is an ACSI discount site - we paid the princely sum of €16 euro (circa £13) a night with hook-up for the privilege .

Anyway, reflecting on how much we enjoyed it, my other half said - 'are there any other sites like that in Spain or France?'

So just interested in suggestions of any campsite gems on the coast by the water's edge?

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Wow! Some great suggestions - thanks everybody. Obviously still interested if there are others...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
IMG_2014091932486.jpg
Camping Malvarrosa near Sagunto, Valencia, has pitches which back onto the beach. Not a lot in the area but the beach is good, it is just the other side of the trees in the picture above.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Plenty of aires on the French Atlantic coast that back onto a beach..
Two that come to mind are Capbreton and Mimizan Plage .. both sit behind sand dunes with direct access to miles of golden sands..

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Broken Link Removed
great site stayed there a couple of times fantastic restaurant and no expensive prices

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Newgale campsite, Pembrokeshire - a quick hop over the road to the pebble bank at the back of the beach.

In the Camargue to the East of Saintes-Maries de la Mer there's a long dusty track behind the beach where you'll find large numbers of MHs in summer. Also, further in that direction along the coast there's an aire which is actually on the beach - can't recall the name but it's on the CCI site.

Anglet aire is but a short walk from the Plage des Corsaires, and Biscarrosse-Plage aire is a slightly longer walk through the trees to the sea.

No shortage of camping fields backing onto Black Rock Sands in N Wales.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Amazing - what a brilliant set of suggestions.

We must have driven right past the entrance of Castillo de Banos in May, when travelling from Almeria to Malaga! Doh. :whistle:

It would be great if Snowbird could share with us exactly where the lovely pitches on the beach were taken - the third pic at least looks to me as though it was somewhere in the Cabo de Gata Natural Park?

Oh, and yes we know Newgale.

Thank you all ever so much - lots of places for us to explore there.

Do keep them coming...

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
In the Camargue to the East of Saintes-Maries de la Mer there's a long dusty track behind the beach where you'll find large numbers of MHs in summer. Also, further in that direction along the coast there's an aire which is actually on the beach - can't recall the name but it's on the CCI site.
I could be wrong, but I think you are describing the airre behind Camping De La Brise. There were a lot of MH's parked up right on the beach there. It looked idyllic, but we needed the facilities from a campsite for our daughter however (satellite TV for Disney Channel mainly), so we booked into the site.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Broken Link Removed
great site stayed there a couple of times fantastic restaurant and no expensive prices
also recommend this site,been 3 times now,check out the pensioners rate 13,75 €

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Amazing - what a brilliant set of suggestions.

We must have driven right past the entrance of Castillo de Banos in May, when travelling from Almeria to Malaga! Doh. :whistle:

It would be great if Snowbird could share with us exactly where the lovely pitches on the beach were taken - the third pic at least looks to me as though it was somewhere in the Cabo de Gata Natural Park?

Oh, and yes we know Newgale.

Thank you all ever so much - lots of places for us to explore there.

Do keep them coming...
Playa Percheles, Canada Gallego.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I could be wrong, but I think you are describing the airre behind Camping De La Brise.

No, sorry, I wasn't. In Saintes Maries de la Mer there are two/three 'official' aires including one long narrow one just behind the promenade near to Camping de la Brise, which looks like this:

Broken Link Removed

There's at least one other of the Car Park variety a little way back in the town, maybe two. There's also the MH parking area attached to Camping de la Brise, just to the right of the main entrance, although when we went there we opted for a 'normal' pitch in the main site with hot and cold running mosquitoes.

The long dusty beachside track I was referring to is to the East (right) of the photo above and looks like this:

Broken Link Removed

It's completely free, but with two potential hazards - flooding in storm conditions, and the town being a focal point for traveller festivals due to the presence of the Black Madonna in the local church (incidentally referred to in the last episode of 'Peaky Blinders').

I should have posted the pics earlier but I was in a hurry at the time - sorry for any confusion there.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Apart from the Mozzies, it is a lovely area! I recognize where you are now from the pics :D

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Well what can I say, but thanks again to everybody who has taken the time to share their beachside camping gems - very much appreciated!

Have been looking at the various locations and there are some great sites. Special thanks to Snowbird for identifying the places in his pics, and DevonBeeKeeper and magicsurfbus for their photos too.

Cheers, guys. (y)

Mike

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Apart from the Mozzies, it is a lovely area! I recognize where you are now from the pics :D

It's as hot as Hades in August - I went for an afternoon bike ride along that dusty track through the salt marshes during our last stay and I can't think of a better recipe for rapid dehydration. An unusual feature of Saintes-Maries is you can walk on the church roof:

Broken Link Removed

If you're in the area, don't miss the walled town of Aigues Mortes, which has two aires. This pic was taken from my MH roof in the Marina aire:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back