Campsites offf season - Rant!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by savantuk, Sep 8, 2009.

1. savantuk

savantuk

Ratings:
    +39
    I'm sick to death of visiting campsites 'off season', and having to pay what amount to high season rates, with a couple of pounds off. Quite often, where on a site with 50 or so pitches, only one or two are inhabited.

Isn't it about time that the owners decided to try something new??

How about a 75% or more reduction?? "It won't work" I hear you all say:whatthe:

Perhaps it would..... If you ring up an book, the you should pay slightly more, but if you just turn up, and a space is available, why not just pay the hook up fee, plus a couple of pounds for the pitch.

What's the use of all that space if it's empty?? This is what the airlines have found out. If they have a seat vacant close to take off, then they sell it for a few pounds, plus the fuel surcharge. Better a few pounds than nothing.

I for one would be a happy bunny if I could go touring in the winter, if the site fees are reasonable.

Last year, I paid over £600 in site fees, for a two week tour of Eire - yes I know, but mrs Savantuk doesn't like 'wild camping'.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that 5 pitches at £5 a night, is better than no pitches occupied!!

I'm pretty certain that many more campers would venture out if there were cheaper sites in autumn and winter.

2. geoff1947

geoff1947

Ratings:
    +95
    Me Too

I'm with you there. Stayed on a few sites on route back from Italy a few years ago paid 13euro for a hook up, showers were cold and owner off site. Thought it a rip off also:thumb:

3. DESCO

DESCO

Ratings:
    +269
    I agree totally but then that is called thinking outside the box, and I don't know that they know what a box is, or is it theyjust don't know how to think.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

4. Road Runner

Road Runner

Ratings:
    +1,459
    You do use more electric in the winter so maybe they should heavily discount non electric pitches?

5. JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Ratings:
    +0
    So why don't you do just that? Turn up, and make them an offer. If they say no, move on.

I used to do excatly this with hotels out of season: it was easy to get rooms at 50% or more below the advertised price if you turned up at 6pm in the winter and offered to pay cash.