Campsites near ski slopes. (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Due to non skiing partner and dog we prefer using campsites for me to ski from.
Also as i am the only driver it seems sensible to base ourselves somewhere comfortable in case i need to recover from an injury which happened last year.

So far these are the campsites I have found:
- Limone Piemonte (camping Luis Matlas at the foot of Riserva Bianca and they give a free ski shuttle on request)
- Le Champ du Moulin excellent site walking distance from Les Deux Alpes.gondola.

We are in Turin now and could basically go anywhere from here.

Any suggestions appreciated. Not finding much on line . Cheers.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I have just found Le Versoyen camp in Bourg St Maurice. Access to le plagne or les Arcs
Dpes anyone know this one?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Champs du moulin is a lovely campsite. We off there again this Easter. Good showers, boot room and sauna. The gondola up is only about 500m from the campsite. The only downside is the last gondola down is about 6.30 ( can't quite remember exact time ) so we tend to eat at lunch then cook back at the campsite or eat on the restaurant if we have pre booked it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks @MichelleRyall
yes we discovered that last year and loved it.
We.missed the gondola down one night and the taxi cost 100e!!!!!!!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks @MichelleRyall
yes we discovered that last year and loved it.
We.missed the gondola down one night and the taxi cost 100e!!!!!!!
Ooh...expensive. We almost missed it one evening, too many Leffe Blondes at Camp du Base !!!!!
On the other point we have yet to find another resort with a decent campsite so close and convenient. Aires are ok for a couple of days but I am too old for the skiing from our van lark. I like bit of comfort.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hi Jack there is a lovely municipal campsite at Montchavin in La Plagne ski area not far from link to les arcs. it has drying room heated shower block etc and is in a pretty village. Views into valley. Probably nice walks for partner. Stones throw from lifts. Details on la plagne website I think. Also another site at villandry in same ski area but I don't know it. Hth Ruth

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have just found Le Versoyen camp in Bourg St Maurice. Access to le plagne or les Arcs
Dpes anyone know this one?
Access to Les Arcs will be easy with the funicular but La Plagne is a fair bus ride to Montchevin, unless you rely on the cable car across from Les Arcs, or hire a car and you have Val d'Isère & Tignes, plus La Rosiere.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Access to Les Arcs will be easy with the funicular but La Plagne is a fair bus ride to Montchevin, unless you rely on the cable car across from Les Arcs, or hire a car and you have Val d'Isère & Tignes, plus La Rosiere.

No, there are lifts directly into the ski area and return if needed. The site is near the link across the valley, not the train up to Les arcs

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No, there are lifts directly into the ski area and return if needed. The site is near the link across the valley, not the train up to Les arcs
Sorry when did they install lifts from any of the La Plagne stations to Bourg?

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
there is a caravaneige at La Rosiere come to think of it, I think it is called La Foret. Served by ski bus.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I know that where Montchevin is, I owned an apartment in Belle Plagne for 12 years skied everywhere there is there, and even skied to Peisey-Nancroix (part of Les Arcs) off piste from the back of the Roche De Mio down to Les Bauches and across but in those days the only way back was by taxi, no cable car! You are wrong there is no direct connection from Bourg St Maurice to any La Plagne station. The camps site Jac Sprat was asking about is in Bourg, about 2km from the funicular that goes up to Les Arcs 1600. You can ski from there to the cable car across to Montchevin but when busy that's a gamble getting back. When you go again make sure you have a map!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
@sallylillian do you know of any campsites closer to the slopes?
Ease of ski access and site comfort are the two priorities.
Also not too high up in case we get snowed in.
It doesnt have to be mega slopes. Very happy with pootling around on smaller ones too.
Ill have a look at the Montchevin one too Ruth thanks .

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We skied in canazei last year in italian dolomites. We stayed in a chalet but there is a campsite 5 mins across the road from the main gondola in the centre of the village. Spar shop, restaurants, cafes etc all within easy walking distance. Leisure centre with swimming pool and 2 fab hotels that offer massage, spa, facials if you fancy a treat. Lovely owners on site, heated bathrooms, hard standing. Very large site and owners told me never any need to book.
http://www.campingmarmolada.com/

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have stayed at Samoens a few times, nice site just opposite the Main Ski lift, only 10 mins flat walk into the village and Supermarket- you can ski accross to Flaine from here

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
I know that where Montchevin is, I owned an apartment in Belle Plagne for 12 years skied everywhere there is there, and even skied to Peisey-Nancroix (part of Les Arcs) off piste from the back of the Roche De Mio down to Les Bauches and across but in those days the only way back was by taxi, no cable car! You are wrong there is no direct connection from Bourg St Maurice to any La Plagne station. The camps site Jac Sprat was asking about is in Bourg, about 2km from the funicular that goes up to Les Arcs 1600. You can ski from there to the cable car across to Montchevin but when busy that's a gamble getting back. When you go again make sure you have a map!
I never said there was a link to Bourg! You have misunderstood my post, see my follow up comment

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
@Allan & Loren that sounds definitely one to book mark. Thanks so much for posting. That'll be for next year.
Adore the Dolomites!
But circs have found me in French Savoie alps right now.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Is Bourg st Maurice ok for skiing on the local ski pass only?
I'm solid intermediate (most reds) and there seems to be a good few on the piste map. Is there enough do you think for a two day stint?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@Allan & Loren that sounds definitely one to book mark. Thanks so much for posting. That'll be for next year.
Adore the Dolomites!
But circs have found me in French Savoie alps right now.
If you do go it's worth timing it with the Marchialonga Cross Country race. It's usually sometime in Feb and a 1 day 70km race through Val Di Fassa with Canazei being the central turn around point. All the world class X-country skiers take part. I cross country ski so I really loved it and was amazed by the speed and techniques used. The town is alive with spectators jangling cow bells and making whooping noises. I just got myself a prime seat with a fabulous coffee and enjoyed the spectacle for the morning. Non ski partner and dog will love the woodland walks too which surround the campsite.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Great tip Allan thanks!
I plumped finally for Versoyen Campsite in Bourg St maurice. They have a free shuttle that links you with Les Arcs which i havent seen yet so am very excited.
Plus these Indigo campsites are the ultimate camping luxury. We stayed in one on the french island of Normoutier.
The main advantage of here is that its very low 850m so no danger of having to manoevre hairpin bends in iffy weather.
I'll give a report after our stay.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
My personal opinion of Le Versoyen is not good. But - i believe they have new owners/managers - campsite wasn't good - but perhaps tolerable ? - town isn't a typical ski resort - very bland . but! it took 3 weeks to get to the slopes where you could get your skis on -and then you still need lifts again to be abe to ski - also if you missed the mini bus from the funicular back to the site it was a hell of a walk in ski boots -not good!
Lots and lots of better places to ski in France from your van in my opinion- Look in Aires - lakes and mountain guide - also motorhome ski web site -
You can get the train from London to Bourg St Maurice I believe and probably better than taking your van - not that I bias or anything - pays your money take your choic

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. A bit late as we are here now ! So ill give my opinion after today. To be honest i think we have the luxury of going to smaller cheaper less known local ski pistes in the van and theres no need to come somewhere busy and pricey like here anyway. Im sure the slopes will be heaving!
However I was passing through heading home from italy and couldn't resist it. Its been useful finding out about the train right here for future ref.
We were tied by having to have a low down site in case of being snowed in (have a time limit now to return to uk so cant hang around really) and a pleasant one for non skiing partner and dog. Aires aren't really fair on them. Id be interested in hearing more if you've any ideas ? Champ de Moulin is way better quieter and cheaper imo but had already tried that
.I've never skied in Les Arcs so i will enjoy having a look today

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We have stayed at Samoens a few times, nice site just opposite the Main Ski lift, only 10 mins flat walk into the village and Supermarket- you can ski accross to Flaine from here
SteveandSue is this a campsite or an aire?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. That link is not opening for me but I'll look in the acsi book cheers.
I had a good day n Les Arcs. It's got a nice vibe to it and so huge. The campsite and town are... yes bland and without character, i agree. I can imagine getting the train here after my moho days are over and renting a chalet .
I bought some new skiis so i feel particularly empowered today!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks looks great !
Rather far from where we are now but certainly logged for a future visit
Have you skied in the sybelles? Never heard of them till yesterday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back