Campsites in Eire....are there any?? (1 Viewer)

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
planning a two weeek tour to west coast and initial searching resulting in few but large campsites.

Can people with recent experience tell us how it works there please.

Is there an app to find sites?
Whats wild camping like?
Pub stops?
Any caravan / motorhome clubs to join.

Ideally we would like small sites similar to CLs and pub stops.

Thank you for your help, in advance

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
According to 'Archies', there are lots.

Irish Sites.png

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There is a book maybe published by tourist board which we used. There is loads of info on Google.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is what the CamperContact app shows but there will be many more as they generally only list campsites with MH facilities like a drive over waste water thingy.

Screenshot_20180607-085908.png

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We are currently in Ireland and used camper contact the book enclosed (available at campsites etc) and the Android app 'motor home parking Ireland'. There is some free or car park camping available here but most moho's seem to have opted for paid sites as far as I can tell. We have also which is unusual for us. But going to try our luck on the dingle penninsula tomorrow for a beach car park pitch. All camp sites so far have been fine for spaces, even the municipal site at Belfast over the weekend.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We are currently in Ireland and used camper contact the book enclosed (available at campsites etc) and the Android app 'motor home parking Ireland'. There is some free and/or car park camping available here but most moho's seem to have opted for paid sites as far as I can tell. We have also which is unusual for us. But going to try our luck on the dingle penninsula tomorrow for a beach car park pitch. All camp sites so far have been fine for spaces, even the municipal site at Belfast over the weekend.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We are currently in Ireland and used camper contact the book enclosed (available at campsites etc) and the Android app 'motor home parking Ireland'. There is some free and/or car park camping available here but most moho's seem to have opted for paid sites as far as I can tell. We have also which is unusual for us. But going to try our luck on the dingle penninsula tomorrow for a beach car park pitch. All camp sites so far have been fine for spaces, even the municipal site at Belfast over the weekend.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Wildcamped on Inch beach last night, quiet.....a couple of other campers, listened to the sea.(y)

With regards to the roads, we have travelled around about 500 miles so far, with a mixture of them, including one not suitable for moho s :Eeek:. Surfaces are mainly very good (stellar compared to Scotland) however a lot of roads are very narrow, much of the time I have had a choice of going on cats eyes in the middle or dragging my long arm mirror through hedges on the passenger side close to the edge of the tarmac. In places some of the walls and other obstacles (like electricity poles and signs) are intruding into the road, so you need to be 100% on the ball if you are in a FIAT type chassis. I have been driving very defensively as the Irish drivers are a bit sloppy, especially at recognising junctions and a fair few have overrun them in front of me.

Otherwise Ireland is a great touring country, much less crowded than Scotland, much less over developed, people generally very friendly and welcoming. Definately worth the effort :cheers:

Recommended book from campsites below

15286393001884654738844703593488.jpg

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks campa cola . We have ford transit based van with long mirrors. So when driving the narrow lanes I hear them scratch the undergrowth, usually followed by “your too close” from the co pilot. If it’s just a scratching sound followed by silence I know I am definatly too close.!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Can we please have this thread moved to it's correct home (or would that breach rule 1)?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Can we please have this thread moved to it's correct home (or would that breach rule 1)?
Where is correct ?? I can see no Eire/NI touring section ??

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Not sure how this works , but was sarted in uk touring.. so sorry , didn't see or missed the Eire touring section. If there is one then it should be under that heading. NO IDEA idea how that is done.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We asked at local tourist information centres and always got a smile and a welcome.

At one place they suggested we parked at the beach carpark (height barriers were not in use). Later that night there was a tap on the door and I thought we would be asked to move on ... but no, it was the man from the tourist office checking we were okay and had all we needed :)

There are a few aires (Cobh and Ashkeaton being two we remember). Cobh was really good and very close to the railway station. At Ashkeaton we were hounded by youngsters trying to sell us stuff and they were looking into the vans parked up and trying the doors so we left. Further along the coast is a place called Foynes (major port) and near the garage (on the Ashkeaton road) there are washing machines in the carpark, probably for the crew from the ships. We didn't use them but I made a note.

Britstops has a few Irish stops but we found (except for the Gold Coast Resort) the commercial sites were not expensive but did vary in quality. In most showers were extra.

The east coast was not motorhome friendly and several places had signs which said "no parking for motorhomes day or night".

If you go north then the council run sites in Dungannon and Antrim are very very good.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I must add that on a lot the narrow Irish roads at present there is a ban on farmer's cutting back the side foliage due to a Japanese knotweed invasion......your van is now the cutting device

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I have to say the other wierd thing about driving in Ireland (apart from the car park full of nude people in Cork:Eeek:) is that I haven't seen one detailed weight restriction sign yet !!! The only close thing has been 'not suitable for heavy vehicles/lorries' o_O

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We did 2 1/2 weeks early Oct. Rosslare across to Kenmare up west coast to Sligo then diagonally back through Enniskillin and Bridge of Shannon and Kilkenny.
Used C&MH CL in N.ireland. But very few.

Mainly Used camper connect , all good pitches and very quite. Sites were 20 to 30 euros , it seemed. Was unofficially told where to park by some tourist board staff , as out of season.and car parks , which charged for overnight parking.

Roads as described above.

Experienced every type of rain and then some. Pubs comealive around 9p.m.
Everybody so friendly , even the bin men stopped for a brief chat when we were out walking!.

Lovely scenery and and steeped in history.

Had no idea how the british toffs treated the roman catholics. Can understand how the sentiment for the IRA fermented. Worth reading up about.

Diesel at just over 1.32€ cheaper than petrol at 1.40€ ish a litre.must be different tax rates.

Pints around €4.50 a pint. Yep they use pints,
Will go again as next door to us in west wales.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back