Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I am thinking of making Wi Fi available at Cwmcuttan campsite. Those of you who have been here know that the cottage is in a dip below the campsite. I have a BT home hub with wireless access but this just about reaches to the duck pond and the dustbins ! Now I cannot advertise Wi Fi available if its only available by the bins or come and sit by the cottage ! So how do I get the signal available to each base ? Been told "an access point outside" please help techies ! Is this expensive and difficult to do ?
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Eileen

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Dylan,

You may get joy talking to :-
Link Removed

If nothing else, will give you a baseline cost for an installation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
You basically need to get a repeater to send the signal further. I do it quite cheaply on our property where we have a lot of walls in the way from our cottage where my daughter lives and where the router is to where my wife and I are living next door in our RV. We bought a set of Power plugs which basically send the Wi Fi signal around your power cables. You have to be on the same ring main obviously but it works. You couldnt pump it round the campsite because you would have to supply everybody with their own end units but you could maybe have a central point where the end wireless unit could be housed like a shed or something. From there anybody with a laptop within range could pick it up. Just a thought. Theres probably easier ways. A set of those plugs and the other equipment needed is less than 100 quid.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Eilleen, you do not need to spend too much at all. All you need is a router that can accept an external arial, there are plenty that do.

Buy the exterenal arial and get it up on your roof, they are only small. Knowing your site, I am confident that this will work very well. I use the same setup and get coverage over around 5 acres. I have a DLink adsl router and arial

this one

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks everyone will now look into it:thumb:
Eileen

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Hi

Whatever you do dont forget security, WPA is preferable to WEP as WEP can easily be cracked by anyone with a bit of savvy, or by brute force for those without.

I would suggest you do some research into WI-FI security for your own peace of mind, before the local war drivers find your AP and park up outside the site for free internet access.

It will be good to see another site offering a WI-FI option good luck to you

Keith

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I do agree with you Tony at least on bigger sites but smaller CCS like mine with 5 bases only perhaps not but its something I intend doing to provide a service for people who don't want to be off the internet.
:thumb: Eileen

jhbgaiem

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Galapagar near Madrid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi

Whatever you do dont forget security, WPA is preferable to WEP as WEP can easily be cracked by anyone with a bit of savvy, or by brute force for those without.

I would suggest you do some research into WI-FI security for your own peace of mind, before the local war drivers find your AP and park up outside the site for free internet access.

It will be good to see another site offering a WI-FI option good luck to you

Keith
Its true that WPA gives better security, it takes abour an hour to crack while WEP takes 15 minutes.
I keep my wifi open, I know one or two of my neighbors use my connection. It doesnt change my broadband bill and if it helps them out - why should I care!

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
more help please

Does anyone know if the BT Home Hub accepts an external antenna ? Sorry not very techie !:Blush:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi dylan, never been to your site but I get the impression you are in the middle of wales, halfway up a mountain, can't imagine many wardrivers being that's keen to connect to your wi-fi.

I am sure if you contacted Bob at Parc Verger he wouldn't mind giving you some advice, he's got wi-fi on his site, you just switch on and it connects seamlessly, from a single wi-fi router I believe, nice guy.

Wi-fi is one of the reasons we go to his site, (apart from big pitches, dump, water and electric, all on your pitch.) If I plug him hard enough maybe I will get a discount ::bigsmile: and if we are ever in your area, wi-fi would mean us very likely turning up.::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi Olly, several customers have been interested in Wifi here so I thought I would try to extend the range from my cottage to the site literally above the cottage, we live in a dip. I can get a signal up the bank but not into the far points of the site. Have a look at Jims reply on this thread. Cannot get any sense out of bt and their answer email doesn't help any !
Jim has told me what antenna I need but think I might have to buy another router which I didn't really want to do. It was a stb in the dark someone might have a BT hub who had done something similar.
Thanks for the reply.
Eileen:thumb:

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi dylan
I was in a maplin store in worcester on friday and they have got all sorts of wi-fi stuff I think they may have a web site, the staff are very helpfull
Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back