Campsite Recomendations Required (1 Viewer)

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Can you recommend a camp site or two best suited for a manual wheelchair and tell me what is good about it?

We are members of both clubs (CCC & CAMC) but not limited to them of course.

It would be nice to be near a town, suitable walk or cycle path.

Many thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Croyde Burrows, Parkdean Holidays, Croyde.

NOT RECOMMENDED during school holidays and other peak time!

Otherwise a fairly flat site with tamac roadways, otherwise grass.

Two steps to negotiate for entrance to the toilet blocks.

Onsite shop, fish and chip shop, club and restaurant. An uphill trip, 200 mtrs, but downhill back.

A kilometer trip to village centre, if you take the road there is a stiff gradient for the last 100 mtrs but there is a cross country back route by footpath that is fairly level but uneven stony path straight into the village centre.

Bus stop right outside the site gates with a regular bus service to Broughton, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe. North Devon Wave Route 21, the buses have disabled access.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Either of the 2 ccc sites in keswick both of them are virtually in the town but on the edge of the lake which has a wheelchair accessible path round part of it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Then of coarse.. nearer to home you have Ayr.
Just noticed this is an oldish thread with an update from OP.
Sorry.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Returned from Jedburgh. Site facilities are not good for wheelchair users. But the walk/push into town was okay. The town itself is on a hill.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Garlieston CAMC site is a good one. Local pub is accessible, nice walk to Galloway House gardens and beach using a Freewheel. Did not try the beach, it didn't look wheelchair friendly, but had picnic tables at the top which are accessible.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Southport CMC site. Adjacent park with flat tarmac pathway, supermarket close by, town within easy reach and a nice flat promenade idea for wheelchairs.

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Keswick CCC site for flat access to Keswick town and shopping including food. Multiple bus routes close by. Lovely views of Derwent Water.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Garlieston CAMC site is a good one. Local pub is accessible, nice walk to Galloway House gardens and beach using a Freewheel. Did not try the beach, it didn't look wheelchair friendly, but had picnic tables at the top which are accessible.
One of our favs! Both the pub and the site. :whistle2:

Another one for you.
The C&MC site at Forfar is also very disabled friendly.
There's a reasonably shallow ramp up into the toilet block with a separate disabled toilet and a shower cubicle in both ladies and gents that you can get a wheelchair into \ under the shower.
A gate giving direct access to a sizeable park and lochside walk of around 3 miles around. A horse and trap converted for autistic kids in wheelchairs was being run by a charity group a couple of weeks back from the car park next to the site.
Satellite signal is suspect due to trees but EHU bollards have TV points on them.
The town centre is a flat 5-10 minute walk from the site gate (cross straight over the main road rather than turning right). Aldi, Lidl, ASDA, etc all within walking distance.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Ballater Caravan Park, near Balmoral. Flat site, the Riverside pitch we had was superb. Probably the cleanest and most well organised site I have ever stayed on. 👍

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The site at Devizes is next to a canal and flat. It’s a club site but I can’t remember which club.

Nice pub on the canal about a mile away which I am pretty sure you could get to in a wheelchair.

Don‘t turn left at the canal towards Devizes because there is a series of locks and quite a steep climb.

It’s been some time since I was last there so I hope my memory is correct.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
The site at Devizes is next to a canal and flat. It’s a club site but I can’t remember which club.

Nice pub on the canal about a mile away which I am pretty sure you could get to in a wheelchair.

Don‘t turn left at the canal towards Devizes because there is a series of locks and quite a steep climb.

It’s been some time since I was last there so I hope my memory is correct.
You are spot on Chris we were there a few weeks back
This is the hill to walk up about a mile of it☹️
Easier to catch thr bus up then walk back.
Pub you talk about is Th Barge😁
30E97330-8EB6-4C23-9AAD-E7E3A3A9B995.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back