Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We are going to be staying out in our Motorhome soon for the first time. We have a "super" type pitch so will be hooking up to their electricity supply.
Can you please clarify
On hookup we will turn on the charger unit ?
And on the control panel would we use the leisure battery setting.?

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Don't worry, after a few times it will all be second nature.
I find that the pain of the sudden shock is nothing compared to the nasty unsympathetic glares from the other campers when they clock the one who tripped the site off!
Always try to look like you know what you're doing and blame the stupid equipment.
Enjoy, Enjoy. :party3:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We don't go near the Sargeant box, it automatically does what it does. We choose leisure rather than engine battery on the control panel over the door based on nothing really, as it will automatically charge both batteries when on EHU as well as running all the 240v sockets.

Have to admit I'm a bit confused about the 12v sockets - I thought they didn't work unless the engine was running? or do I have to select the engine battery?

Anyway @Mark5204 sounds like you'll have more than enough help if pops is coming to show you.
Yes what a gentleman. At least we can go away and enjoy my birthday rather than worry about a flat battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Don't worry, after a few times it will all be second nature.
I find that the pain of the sudden shock is nothing compared to the nasty unsympathetic glares from the other campers when they clock the one who tripped the site off!
Always try to look like you know what you're doing and blame the stupid equipment.
Enjoy, Enjoy. :party3:
Lol good advice.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Hi Mark, just to put in my 2 penneth.
We have an Autocruise,, not built by Swift,, and on ours the services are powered by the charger in the cupboard behind the electrics panel when on EHU. The "OFF" switch is on the top so not easily switched off unless you mean to.
The other thing is that all my electrics work no matter what the switch position is : Cab - off - Hab. I have been informed that that switch if for which you wish to charge when on EHU. and when on drive with switch in centre (off) position I can have all systems working but being isolated by control panel switches.. ie. water pump on/off, lights 1 2 3 etc. So, if yours is like ours remember the 12v could be live on EHU if the panel switches are on.
For battery use we just switch to Hab and turn on all other panel switches, remembering to turn of pump when leaving van and when retiring at night.
Hope that helps,, I would take a picture to show you but it is in for service/cam belt and MOT until middle next week.

Oh yes,, go and enjoy and Happy Birthday

:party:

Upvote 0

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Sorry forgot to say have a good birthday

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Happy Birthday! And sorry I am lazy, so I haven't bothered to look at your profile to see which Swift you have. However, if you have the touch panel above the habitation door, with the levels shown in a round pattern of LED's leisure battery on left, and vehicle on right, then all you need to do is plug in. The onboard system will charge the battery that most needs it, and then keep them topped up. You can override which battery is being charge by pushing the centre of either leisure or vehicle battery gauge, but when that battery is fully charged, the system will revert to the other battery.

So in essence, all you need to do is - hookup, on control panel, press power, then water pump, then cabin lights - jobs a goodun. If you want heat and hot water, that is different in each MH, so need to know which one you have :D

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
  • Make the hook-up (van then post to stop any possibility of arcing - that's the theory, don't know if it ever happens)
Nothing to do with arcing as you will get that no matter which end you do first.
However plugging into post first then wandering round with a live cable is not advisable.
The post should be the last thing you connect and the first thing you disconnect when doing the EHU.

In the UK there shouldn't be any safety issues whichever way you do it so its not critical. But on the continent they can have dodgy earths. So if you plug the cable into the EHU first then start walking towards your van playing out the cable you run the risk of getting a bit of a shock if you have a damaged cable. It is more likely to be when you take the cable in though as if you unplug the van first then start coiling the cable round your arm as you walk back to the post you have a handful of live. If the cable has been damaged while on site you could get a bit of a jolt and if the protective earth devices aren't set up correctly you could be seriously injured or worse.

So.... When connecting, connect to the van first uncoil the cable then connect to post.
When disconnecting, disconnect post first then van end.

Or ignore me and do it which is most convenient on the day like most people I watch :whistle::D

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Nothing to do with arcing as you will get that no matter which end you do first.
However plugging into post first then wandering round with a live cable is not advisable.
The post should be the last thing you connect and the first thing you disconnect when doing the EHU.

In the UK there shouldn't be any safety issues whichever way you do it so its not critical. But on the continent they can have dodgy earths. So if you plug the cable into the EHU first then start walking towards your van playing out the cable you run the risk of getting a bit of a shock if you have a damaged cable. It is more likely to be when you take the cable in though as if you unplug the van first then start coiling the cable round your arm as you walk back to the post you have a handful of live. If the cable has been damaged while on site you could get a bit of a jolt and if the protective earth devices aren't set up correctly you could be seriously injured or worse.

So.... When connecting, connect to the van first uncoil the cable then connect to post.

Or ignore me and do it which is most convenient on the day like most people I watch :whistle::D

Good one Gromett!(y)

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
It's amazing when you realise the steep learning curve that we all struggle with when we start motor homing! Things that totally foxed us at the beginning rapidly become second nature to us.

Don't worry about how daft your queries may seem to old hands, we've all been there and we're all very happy to pass on our knowledge.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

We were TOLD it was arcing, but as it's not but still good sense (totally logical now you explain it), I'm glad we got into the habit early on!

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We were TOLD it was arcing, but as it's not but still good sense (totally logical now you explain it), I'm glad we got into the habit early on!

Arcing occurs if you have a load switched on in the van when connecting. If you have say an electric heater switched on then connect you will get arcing. However it will happen no matter which end you plug in last. The cable itself doesn't know which end is which :p. If you have everything switched off in the van you may get a little one but that will just be something like the smoothing cap in the charger getting charged up. Most chargers don't kick in straight away after mains has been connected and ramp up over a short period of time. I always as a matter of course locate the plug in the socket then give it a firm shove to minimise arcing. Not necessary but after years of dealing with electric I still feel a touch uncomfortable around that sound :eek::D

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Sure you know this but, when you drive along the road only the vehicle engine battery is being charged, the leisure battery is only charged when you are on site connected to 240v electrics
This statement will confuse some readers. Our MH is a year 2000 and I am sure there are others with a similar system. The leisure battery IS charged at the same time as the vehicle battery when the engine is running. there is a split charger relay that is energised when the engine is running and it de-energises when the engine stops to prevent draining the vehicle battery when on site,

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I'm a simple chap ( as others will now be aware!) and like to keep things simple. I never turn off the charger, just change the switch between engine charge or mains charge when required. Never turn off the fridge mains switch, if running on gas or when in motion I'm not connected to mains so it does not matter plus when I do connect to mains the green illuminated fridge mains switch light tells me I have power. Keeps it simple. One good bit of advice is do not leave power cable tightly coiled, either on its own or around a cable tidy unit. It can generate heat, particularly if you are using heater, water heater and kettle at the time. Uncoil it and sling it around a bit but not where you and others will trip over it. Hope this helps. :blusher:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On my old Swift years back, the purpose of the hab/vehicle battery switch was so you could charge the vehicle battery on ehu if necessary as it did not automatically charge both as newer ones do. There was always the risk of forgetting to switch it back when not on ehu and ending up with a flat starter battery.

There was also a switch on the charger that had to be on all the time, in mine it was in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
That would be sensible, we have a bolero so I'm not sure whether that's the same or not

Ours is an Ace (made by Swift I believe) Having now been away for 12 nights so far his year we are getting used to it. Our power supply switch has 3 positions, cab battery, neutral and leisure. On EHU in cab position the charge goes to the cab battery and leisure vice versa. When battery is full charge is diverted to the other battery. In neutral position, 12v all still works and leisure battery is charged by default and I believe the charger just works as a regulated power source. Off EHU, nothing works in neutral position, and charge is drawn from whichever battery the switch is pointing at. Like an earlier poster said DON`T draw current from cab battery off EHU except in an emergency otherwise you may flatten your battery. A lot of this info was pointed out to me when I posted some related questions. I`ll see if I can find the thread and post a link

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Ours is an Ace (made by Swift I believe) Having now been away for 12 nights so far his year we are getting used to it. Our power supply switch has 3 positions, cab battery, neutral and leisure. On EHU in cab position the charge goes to the cab battery and leisure vice versa. When battery is full charge is diverted to the other battery. In neutral position, 12v all still works and leisure battery is charged by default and I believe the charger just works as a regulated power source. Off EHU, nothing works in neutral position, and charge is drawn from whichever battery the switch is pointing at. Like an earlier poster said DON`T draw current from cab battery off EHU except in an emergency otherwise you may flatten your battery. A lot of this info was pointed out to me when I posted some related questions. I`ll see if I can find the thread and post a link

Thanks Paul (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp

Many thanks for that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
It's amazing when you realise the steep learning curve that we all struggle with when we start motor homing! Things that totally foxed us at the beginning rapidly become second nature to us.

Don't worry about how daft your queries may seem to old hands, we've all been there and we're all very happy to pass on our knowledge.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Thank you I am amazed at just how helpful people on this forum have been. It so lovely to see in this day and age.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back