CAMpRA making strong efforts. (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I read this to which is a response to CAMpRA who are working extremely hard for the benefit of Motorhomers in establishing an Aire type network in the UK similar to the French one.
l and others on Fun have noted previously that the existing Network of Campsite owners and operators including the two largest resist any advancement in providing Camperstops/Aires as far as l can see they see it as competition and wish to force Motorhomes onto Sites even though we only require simple and organized and legal
FCC40980-57F6-4328-B03A-20834041E6FE.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Anyone know how it’s going with the new law Priti Patel is bringing in to stop illegal camping?

Maybe once that comes in councils will be more comfortable to open up areas.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I think you are refering to the law to make trespass for residential purposes a criminal offence. Part 4 of the Broken Link Removed would amend the provisions in the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (CJPOA) relating to unauthorised encampments. I am not sure when it will finally get approved but the consultaion process has finished and a briefing produced which I have not yet read. You can download this Broken Link Removed.
ezee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can never understand the campsite argument, they don't appear to realise that most of us who want to stay on Aires would not use a campsite especially if it a long way from the town.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Eventually tracked down the satus, its had its second reading and is now in the committee stage. Its got a long way to go and there seems to be quite a bit of opposition to it if you believe everthing written about it!
ezee

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I do believe this is a good move forward, a voice on this council for the promotion of UK Aires will produce dividends for Motorhoming.

Attachments

• 35202F02-73A6-456F-A540-A71F23CC1679.jpeg
    35202F02-73A6-456F-A540-A71F23CC1679.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 22

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Meanwhile, a scruffy m/home that has been parked in a passing place for at least 3 days has just driven into the site we're' on, to empty his cassette and refill the water tank. Too mean to pay £15pn that includes EHU. Manky cheapskate.

Steve

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Meanwhile, a scruffy m/home that has been parked in a passing place for at least 3 days has just driven into the site we're' on, to empty his cassette and refill the water tank. Too mean to pay £15pn that includes EHU. Manky cheapskate.

Steve
Come on Steve thats a bit harsh! Not everyone likes to use campsites for various reasons. You say a scruffy motorehome!! Maybe thats all the owner can afford, at least they are out there doing it👍 and did not dump their waste in a field but come into the site to pay for it. I say sometimes we need to live n let live abit more 😁.

Cheers Cris.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
campras problem is the flts who want it all for nothing they have ad to remove comments from there facebook pages where die hard flt's are complaining at the usually small costs to park overnight .Free aires are diminishing in france and they are never going to happen here

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Steve

You obviously have a 'downer' on those of us who do not want to use campsites. We have probably only used campsites for 6-10 nights in 12 years, mainly to meet friends.

It is certainly not to save money, as I could probably afford to buy several campsites freehold. I think you need to adjust your thinking about why people do not want to use campsites, because it is not just about money.

Furthermore, I have never dumped any waste inappropriately and only fill water where I am welcome or have paid.

Geoff

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Steve
How much?:oops:

Don't see what state his van has to do with it and he's disposed of his waste properly. No problem.

No offence but I have more of a problem with people who insist that you pay £15 and call them a cheapskate for not wanting to pay especially when they don't seem to have done anything wrong other than hurt your eyes with a "scruffy motorhome"
I'm sure they would love a shiny new motorhome and money to burn on campsites. That said we have a shiny new motorhome and prefer to be on aires off grid camping etc the same as them probably.
Maybe they would love to be on a nice campsite with electric and showers but the budget won't go that far. so long as they act responsibly and dispose of waste properly I personally don't think that statement was needed.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Steve

You obviously have a 'downer' on those of us who do not want to use campsites. We have probably only used campsites for 6-10 nights in 12 years, mainly to meet friends.

It is certainly not to save money, as I could probably afford to buy several campsites freehold. I think you need to adjust your thinking about why people do not want to use campsites, because it is not just about money.

Furthermore, I have never dumped any waste inappropriately and only fill water where I am welcome or have paid.

Geoff
I have no downer, that's an assumption on your part. The fact, rather than assumption, is that the motorhomer is using facilities without paying, whilst caravan owners pay either £15 per night or £550pa plus £2pn EHU for the facilities that the Management Committee are fundraising to improve.

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have no downer, that's an assumption on your part. The fact, rather than assumption, is that the motorhomer is using facilities without paying, whilst caravan owners pay either £15 per night or £550pa plus £2pn EHU for the facilities that the Management Committee are fundraising to improve.

Steve
Unless you can tell us different, it's an assumption on your part that he hasn't paid, maybe he has an arrangement that you don't know about.
Can't see many campsites just letting anyone in to empty and fill up with no sort of payment.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Steve
Are you saying this person have emptied and filled with water WITHOUT PAYING? If that's the case then that is wrong. Scruffy motorhome has nothing to do with it and calling someone a cheapskate for not paying £15 is neither here nor there either.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
they don't seem to have done anything wrong other than hurt your eyes with a "scruffy motorhome"
I'm sure they would love a shiny new motorhome........
I don't want to derail the thread. However, I have a 25 yrs old m/h that's showing its age but I have no desire whatsoever for a shiny new one.
I'm not a 'Motorhomer' but use it as transport and accommodation to travel Europe with a flexible itinerary whilst visiting specific places of interest and attending events.
It's Motorhome 'elitism' that has always deterred me from attending rallies which is a shame because I'm not only exceedingly good company but extremely modest.

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Unless you can tell us different, it's an assumption on your part that he hasn't paid, maybe he has an arrangement that you don't know about.
Can't see many campsites just letting anyone in to empty and fill up with no sort of payment.
No control gate, and vehicles come and go throughout the day. The area is signposted with 'use the caravan park' instructions and the site operates under Scottish Caravan and Camping Rules. No mention of 'freebies' for which the membership is paying via both a membership fee and a seasonal pitch hire, or where casual stay customers pay the higher nightly fee of £15.

Steve

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Wild camping is usually more about being where you want to be rather than being where a campsite happens to be. If in transit, all that is often required is a safe spot to sleep for eight hours or so. Who thinks £2+ per hour for parking is a reasonable price? Campsites and CL's are for when you want to spend a few days in one place.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
No control gate, and vehicles come and go throughout the day. The area is signposted with 'use the caravan park' instructions and the site operates under Scottish Caravan and Camping Rules. No mention of 'freebies' for which the membership is paying via both a membership fee and a seasonal pitch hire, or where casual stay customers pay the higher nightly fee of £15.

Steve

Where is this site with free access?

Most service points now have at least an honesty box for payment donations.

There are also many places, especially in Scotland, to fill with water and empty cassettes FOC

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years

Steve
Sounds like the very one parked adjacent to the site we are on .Reported them for using the showers when they thought nobody was looking.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Wild camping is usually more about being where you want to be rather than being where a campsite happens to be. If in transit, all that is often required is a safe spot to sleep for eight hours or so. Who thinks £2+ per hour for parking is a reasonable price? Campsites and CL's are for when you want to spend a few days in one place.
Depends doesn't it.

Car park near a town during the day maybe. Overnyt car park 8 til 8 overpriced for me and I'm sure many others as well

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Steve @marcie you never alleged that the individual did not pay the £15.

Can you substantiate that?

Geoff
£15 is the price of a pitch, inc EHU. The m/homer arrived, stayed a few minutes at the fresh water and Elsan point and drove off again to the passing place, where he remained for the rest of the day, because we walked past on our daily exercise. He may be just an eccentric who pays for the facilities and then declines to use them, preferring instead to block a vehicle passing place, but the balance of probabilities suggests he is using the facilities that others pay for, without paying his dues.

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
£15 is the price of a pitch, inc EHU. The m/homer arrived, stayed a few minutes at the fresh water and Elsan point and drove off again to the passing place, where he remained for the rest of the day, because we walked past on our daily exercise. He may be just an eccentric who pays for the facilities and then declines to use them, preferring instead to block a vehicle passing place, but the balance of probabilities suggests he is using the facilities that others pay for, without paying his dues.

Steve
If he does ,there's nowt stopping you or anyone else doing the same, but I doubt he isn't known to the owners.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back