Camping without hook up (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Stopped on a CL a few years ago and never moved for 7 days. No solar, only the TV on day six objected to the low battery. That was just one 100amp battery.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With the pack fully charged, if I was to connect it in parallel to a flat/depleted Habitation battery, would I get a short term power reserve?

Without damaging the electrics in the Habitation?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.
You would and Yes it would be safe to do so. But it would be very short term. Not a stupid question :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There's no need to rub it in!:swear2:
Just 'cause you're out dining with a different young toyboy every night!o_O;):giggle:

Ha. Wouldn' t have a clue what to do with one other than invite his granny round for a girlie chinwag. :)

Just quick question, which may also help OP... since the 'something'... (I'm not technical)... switches off automatically if the 12v leisure is full and as is the engine battery, would this damage the solanoid because you havn't turned the solar panel off before the 12v disconnects?

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
If its TV usage that is worrying you, then how about getting one of the Cello battery TVs? They say the battery will last for 8-10 hours viewing, which in our experience is pretty accurate. Make sure its fully charged at the start of the trip and it'll should last a few days without needing to be recharged - might take some of the pressure off your leisure battery.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Biggest difference to routine power drain for us was swapping all the bulbs out for LEDs... although it's sometimes hard to fit LED bulbs that have built-in RF interference suppressors in the same space, so I fitted some clip-on ferrite beads on the power leads close to the bulbs and that did the trick. Of course we're enjoying long summer evenings right now, so less of an issue perhaps.

Other than TV, lighting is the only "essential" we can't run on gas - and actually, TV isn't necessary if the weather's fine. When our grandkids were little we would keep some of their favourites downloaded to a USB stick ands plugged in to the TV (in case we were out of broadcast range) so they could watch one before bedtime story - i.e. keep to their routine. Made everyone's life easier. So actually a second gas bottle is more important to us than a second battery.

OP
OP
I
Mar 18, 2013
Glossop
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2013
If its TV usage that is worrying you, then how about getting one of the Cello battery TVs? They say the battery will last for 8-10 hours viewing, which in our experience is pretty accurate. Make sure its fully charged at the start of the trip and it'll should last a few days without needing to be recharged - might take some of the pressure off your leisure battery.
Thanks for that, the Cello range looks good for when the existing tv expires, but I'm not intending spending much more time with the little ones on non-ehu sites to justify that expense just now 🤔.

OP
OP
I
Mar 18, 2013
Glossop
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2013
Biggest difference to routine power drain for us was swapping all the bulbs out for LEDs... although it's sometimes hard to fit LED bulbs that have built-in RF interference suppressors in the same space, so I fitted some clip-on ferrite beads on the power leads close to the bulbs and that did the trick. Of course we're enjoying long summer evenings right now, so less of an issue perhaps.

Other than TV, lighting is the only "essential" we can't run on gas - and actually, TV isn't necessary if the weather's fine. When our grandkids were little we would keep some of their favourites downloaded to a USB stick ands plugged in to the TV (in case we were out of broadcast range) so they could watch one before bedtime story - i.e. keep to their routine. Made everyone's life easier. So actually a second gas bottle is more important to us than a second battery.
Thanks, yes we're all LED throughout, plus some extras I put in. I've a new 13kg gas bottle on board and one of those normally lasts me about a year, though 4 days running the fridge and heating the water will probably make a difference this year 😭.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ha. Wouldn' t have a clue what to do with one other than invite his granny round for a girlie chinwag. :)

Just quick question, which may also help OP... since the 'something'... (I'm not technical)... switches off automatically if the 12v leisure is full and as is the engine battery, would this damage the solanoid because you havn't turned the solar panel off before the 12v disconnects?
Not sure that I really understand the question Joy, do you? ;) I guess you are just talking about the battery charger disconnecting when the batteries are full and the solanoid might not even be a solenoid but I still think the answer is NO don't worry about it.

Martin

Janp

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Battery radio? ? fun finding different stations , battery fairy lights grannies fairy cabin ? solar lights for outside ? some board games? pack of cards ? .... I know Im so old fashioned 😊😊😊

Wiener-dogs201

Free Member
Nov 12, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
TV? TV? Luxury item weight wise and power wise. We use a mini projector that is rechargeable via usb port, total weight with screen less than a 20 inch TV and easy to keep running on a power bank. Can use it with a NOW TV or Fire stick device so can also have Netflix, Youtube, the News and catch up tv on it too. Download a few films for the children or yourself on a USB stick too and you have most entertainment covered. As for things like laptops, we use a 17 inch monitor with a micro pc on the back both run off USB and again weight and power consumption is minimal, it can also be used to watch any of the hdmi sticks if nobody is using the PC. Internet is via a pocket router (usb rechargeable of course) with an £18 unlimited data 3G/4G sim card. 250 Watts solar panels and 120Ah leisure battery. A rechargeable small soundbar helps with the audio, guess what, it charges via USB so can be run off a cigarette lighter port with several USB ports and the other stuff charged off the solar controller which also has an inverter with USB ports and an extension lead which has another 4 USB ports.
We are restricted on the weight we can have because getting the vehicle up-plated and gaining a C1 license is not an option so we had to find ways to reduce weight and power.

Roadroamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
llanelli
Funster No
MH
elddis 115 coach built
Exp
since 1994
A suite case 120w solar panel with built in regulator is the answer!!!! you just use crocodile clips to the leisure battery plus you can always sell it on if you don't need it afterwards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back