Camping Veterans but Motorhome Newbies (1 Viewer)

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Hello all,

Well, after a lifetime or two under canvas of one type or another (Camping & sailing), the arrival of two daughters (4 & 2 yrs old) 20 years after my sons has persuaded us to try out life on the open road with our new motorhome. A Hymer 644 (2006) with 6 berths & all essential creature comforts is our choice of ride. Being North West based we will be looking to explore West Wales first, so any tips and recommendations for great places to visit with a motorhome would be very welcome :).

I've driven big-ish vans up to 7.5 tonnes and generally enjoyed it. Looking forward to pooling around (slowly I guess!) in our new 24k /22ft toy :)

See you around!

MartMaeve

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
tenor.gif
Hi Guys and welcome. Enjoy the trip!!

kev and Carolyn

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3: Hi MartMaeve - the new van sounds fun! (y)

Why not invest in full membership of MHF and benefit from all the invaluable info available, as well as plenty of crazy banter. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Here is the van - still a work in progress, but we've had four trips away so far.

Gave her a good clean down this morning, removing black streaks, tree sap and algae deposits from the roof, and polishing up the coachwork. Since having her (about 6 weeks now) I've also hammerited the chassis, re-sealed the main skylight, re-painted the grilles from the fridge and deep cleaned all upholstery. She is a pleasure to drive and great for living in.

Martin & Maeve

OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Just back from our 8th trip since acquiring the van, and this time we've had a full week of being away from home. I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but for us it feels like even a couple of nights away is much longer - our week long mini-tour of West Wales felt more like a forthnight (in a good way, mind you!) perhaps because despite the torrents elsewhere, we were blessed with fantastic weather and quiet nights (other than the brief stay near Chester, when we witnessed that humdinger of a thunderstorm). I had to laugh, as having left the awning up and woken to the rapidly approaching lightening and thunder from the South, I did wonder if I'd be toasted due to waving the awning rod around in a blind panic to get it down before the storm reached us...

Am still here and very much alive and kicking though ;)

The children love being in the moho - we are all tucked up by 10pm, sleep like logs and there has been no tv or internet to bother us all week, just outdoor pursuits and fun!

20190725_193221.jpg
I wish we'd bitten the bullet years ago! This is not a pic of me during the thunderstorm.. just in case you were wondering :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back