Camping Scarabeo, Sicily - very few British vans here this year... (1 Viewer)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Murph the terrier and I have just finished our Nordkapp, Norway to Sicily bicycle tour ( blog here if you are interested: https://dogandsnailbiketravels.com/ ) and have arrived in southern Sicily! We have rented a small static for two months on the same gorgeous camp site we stayed at with the motorhome in winter 2015/16. That year, there were at least 6 or 7 Brits here for the winter - this year, only one just passing through (so far). The state of the £££ must be a big factor. Hope to see some of you at some point!!!
IMG_20191022_133400.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_180944.jpg
    IMG_20191021_180944.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 22
May 16, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan Owner
Exp
Caravan since 1984
We are currently in Marsala in a small campsite in the middle of our own little lagoon being buffeted by 45 mph winds but on our way to Scarabeo. What's the weather doing? We have had 2 days of heavy rain and now strong wind. The campsite, having kindly directed us to a pitch, have now provided 3 wooden pallets so that we can get from the awning mat (awning wound in because of the wind) to the car without going through ankle deep water! Regards, Bob

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hello Bob -
It's blowing a total hoolie!! Tomorrow looks a lot better. My little 'bungalow' is rocking like crazy!! This is a beautiful and well-designed little campsite, however, and even though we are right on the beach, the pitches all drain quite well. It's the second time I've been to Scarabeo over the winter and I've never seen the sea crashing up to the campsite wall like this. Very dramatic, but it feels safe and fine. Looking forward to seeing you when you pull up!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's the best campsite we found on Sicily. :)

Post #155 onwards on here. (I'm jealous you are there just in case of doubt! :))

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tremendous achievement, congratulations.
I followed you blog for a while a few months ago but must admit to letting it lapse.
Enjoy your rest in Sicily

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
That's the best campsite we found on Sicily. :)

Post #155 onwards on here. (I'm jealous you are there just in case of doubt! :))

Well, I'm jealous of your Morocco, so we're even! Planning my way back to the UK and maybe another Murvi. Getting back there with a dog and a touring bike in tow and no vehicle is proving to be a nightmare!
Loving my quiet time at Scarabeo - I'll have a walk on the beach for you!
Jacquie

• Love It
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Tremendous achievement, congratulations.
I followed you blog for a while a few months ago but must admit to letting it lapse.
Enjoy your rest in Sicily
Thank you very much! I still can't quite take in all those kilometres pedalled! I must have been mad. Making up for all that exercise now with complete sloth here in Sicily.
All the best!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well, I'm jealous of your Morocco, so we're even! Planning my way back to the UK and maybe another Murvi. Getting back there with a dog and a touring bike in tow and no vehicle is proving to be a nightmare!
Loving my quiet time at Scarabeo - I'll have a walk on the beach for you!
Jacquie
I guess you could get the ferry from Palermo to Genoa and then use trains?

But many congratulations for completing the trip. Short of going into Asia or the Far East you can't do many longer routes in Europe.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I guess you could get the ferry from Palermo to Genoa and then use trains?

But many congratulations for completing the trip. Short of going into Asia or the Far East you can't do many longer routes in Europe.
The real problem is bringing the dog back into the UK as a foot passenger. You can only fly them in as cargo and there's no way I'd put her through that. Short ferries don't allow foot passengers with dogs, Eurostar - no dogs. One way car hires to the UK don't exist. Anyway, I've booked us a flight to Amsterdam (she'll be in the cabin with me) and from there it looks like we're headed by ferry to Newcastle!!! DFDS does pet-friendly cabins, but what an insane detour. Train from Newcastle to Norfolk after that. Sheesh. Dog, bike and all the gear. Did I mention I miss my Murvi???

• Love It
Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The real problem is bringing the dog back into the UK as a foot passenger. You can only fly them in as cargo and there's no way I'd put her through that. Short ferries don't allow foot passengers with dogs, Eurostar - no dogs. One way car hires to the UK don't exist. Anyway, I've booked us a flight to Amsterdam (she'll be in the cabin with me) and from there it looks like we're headed by ferry to Newcastle!!! DFDS does pet-friendly cabins, but what an insane detour. Train from Newcastle to Norfolk after that. Sheesh. Dog, bike and all the gear. Did I mention I miss my Murvi???
I hadn't realised that but I can see the problem now. On short trips we leave Charlie in the van but these ferries don't have kennels so foot passengers are stuck unless they can find one of the few pet friendly cabins.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
In the cabin with you - WOW, fabulous! Which airline is this please?
Hello Ann - most airlines in Europe and North America, with the exception of the uber-budget ones, allow small dogs in the cabin. Some allow for 8kg, including the carrier, some 10kg. Murph flew with me to Finland from Canada in the cabin and it was great! The UK is one of the only countries that don't allow it. DEFRA insists they fly cargo, arrive at a special animal processing centre - way too stressful for most animals, and VERY expensive.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I hadn't realised that but I can see the problem now. On short trips we leave Charlie in the van but these ferries don't have kennels so foot passengers are stuck unless they can find one of the few pet friendly cabins.
Yes, Murph spent many, many comfy crossings in my 'van on the short ferries. DFDS has a 'kennel' for foot passengers on their Dieppe-Newhaven ferry. It consists of a rusty, dilapidated portable wire cage left on the lorry deck. I found several horror stories on the internet relating to it! Kennels are out of the question for my old girl in any case - she's worth the inconvenience of the long way 'round!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back