Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
Looking for recommmedations for campsites near to Mont Ventoux , ideally nera Bedoin .
Going over to do some crazy cycling up the mountain in June and could do with a decent campsite nearby.
Our motorhome is twin axle and 8.2 metres long so we need a campsite with decent access and large pitches
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
If you happen to be visiting or anywhere near the monument to TS pause for a moment and say something appropriate. Especially if you can delay your visit to July 13.

Thank you.

Googling "campsite near mt ventoux" produces possibilities but I have never been to that area so cannot add anything worthwhile.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If you happen to be visiting or anywhere near the monument to TS pause for a moment and say something appropriate. Especially if you can delay your visit to July 13.

Thank you.

Every now and then when the OH's out I'll sit and watch the documentary 'Death on the Mountain' the things he put himself through :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed at Le Pastory, Bedoin Vaucluse. Good views of Mont Ventoux from the site - about half hour away.
Bazza
Thanks. I’ve seen this site on Campercontact.
Is the access pretty good and do they have large pitches ie big enough for 8metre van ?
Cheers

Mar 28, 2009
Langford, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1995
Hi Russ,
Yes access is good and pitch size OK - we had an 8.6m Cheyenne 840D at that time and no problem. Looking on Google Streetview it seems there might be an aire at the campsite too (but I may be wrong!)
Bazza

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
There is a campsite and Aire in Bedoin, we stayed on the Aire when I cycled up Mont Ventoux.

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
There is a campsite and Aire in Bedoin, we stayed on the Aire when I cycled up Mont Ventoux.
Many thanks. I’m attempting “cingles” in June. Will be staying there for 4 days to pick the best day , so not sure about the Aire as it may be full....
will probably book the campsite to be sure I get a place .

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
2nd that we stayed at ‘camping ventoux’ there are lots of walks around there and of course ventoux is very close

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
We stayed on the aire at Bedoin and cycled from there a few years ago. The aire was a large field with loads of room and no one came to collect any money the 5 nights we were on there. I think it was only around 3 euro a night so probably the Gendarme couldn't be arsed to pick up that small amount. We found Bedoin a marvelous place. It was buzzing when we went with some nice restaurants. Everyone we spoke to all said that it was the best side to go up, as the other way was easier.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
@russ.
The VERY best of luck mate.
Ventoux is a dream climb of mine but we've never managed to get that way on...……..yet.
I'd love to see Toms' monument.
Please post back with your experience.
z
GT Zaskar for "off"
Scott AFD for "on"

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed at Camping Ventoux
Dutch run. Very popular restaurant and gorgeous swimming pool. Good washing facilities for you and your clothes.
There were quite a few cycling groups making it their base.
ACSI site.

https://www.camping-le-ventoux.com/
Hi. Was this site easily accessed and with large pitches. Our van is 8.2 metres long so we need a big pitch. Thanks again.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we stayed at a site in Malaucene which is a market town at the base of the mont.

few top bike shops and it seems all the crews and teams stop for a coffee and cake :)

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
2nd that we stayed at ‘camping ventoux’ there are lots of walks around there and of course ventoux is very close
Roughly how far to Bédoin from this site ? I don’t want to have to cycle to far to get to the start point of my monumental cycle that day .....
Thanks again for you respons e

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi. Was this site easily accessed and with large pitches. Our van is 8.2 metres long so we need a big pitch. Thanks again.
It’s 5 miles from Bedouin, I’m sure would take 8.5 m but would be best to ring and speak to them and maybe book a place. We only 6.5 and just turned up.
We drove up to top though and as we arrived some Brits on cycles arrived and one was throwing up. I spoke to one of the group and he said that this was their third summit that day. They had rode up each of the three routes and cycled between the various starting points. It was about 4 pm.
We then stayed the night at the top. It was magical. First arrivals next morning from 8 am

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
The aire at Bedoin is now part of the 'camping car parks' scheme...we've stayed there many times before when it was just a plain aire, 3 euros/n, but in Sept 2018 we rocked up to find electric barriers and an increase to approx 11.5 euros. We watched lots of Frenchies turn away, don't know where they ended up.
Bedoin is a beautiful village, great cafes, and a nice wine co-op.
The aire at Malaucene, which was always free, is also part of said scheme, and similarly priced.
The French authorities are now cottoning on!
It was good while it lasted.

Allen

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
@russ.
The VERY best of luck mate.
Ventoux is a dream climb of mine but we've never managed to get that way on...……..yet.
I'd love to see Toms' monument.
Please post back with your experience.
z
GT Zaskar for "off"
Scott AFD for "on"
I used my GT Xizang 29r to ride up Ventoux, still got my '92 Xizang LE. How old is your Zaskar ?

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
The aire at Bedoin is now part of the 'camping car parks' scheme...we've stayed there many times before when it was just a plain aire, 3 euros/n, but in Sept 2018 we rocked up to find electric barriers and an increase to approx 11.5 euros. We watched lots of Frenchies turn away, don't know where they ended up.
Bedoin is a beautiful village, great cafes, and a nice wine co-op.
The aire at Malaucene, which was always free, is also part of said scheme, and similarly priced.
The French authorities are now cottoning on!
It was good while it lasted.

Allen
I suppose 11.5 Euros isn’t to bad compared to campsite prices, and the location looks excellent. Did this Aire have EHU ?

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I suppose 11.5 Euros isn’t to bad compared to campsite prices, and the location looks excellent. Did this Aire have EHU ?

You have to join the scheme to use this aire...follow the instruction on the barrier...it was a bit long winded, which is probably one of the reasons why we saw a lot of folk drive away.
When we arrived and started looking at the barrier, I was ready to drive off...then a French lady walked over and talked us through the process..turned out she was a rep for the scheme, and was touring their sites in the S of F.
This particular aire does include ehu, I believe a few in the scheme don't, best to google I think.

Allen

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just noted the need for electric, however, I believe @Riverbankannie went up to the top a couple of years ago to stay overnight. I think I may have convinced her, purely as planning for my own trip there this year and i thank her once again!
If there are no clouds, then the view from the top at sundown, sunup and in the night are apparently one of the best in the world as you are significantly higher than anywhere nearby to get the sunset/rises view and because you are in the middle of nowhere there is very little diffusion to see the stars at night and therefore able to see further and numerous more stars.
You can park about 200 metres from the top free of charge.
If you didnt need leccy and fancied aires Sault does the job and there is a route up from there (If you do this route can you pay homage at the 12km point where some naive idiot saw sense and turned round after a night on the vino and attempted to go up on a bike and his previous best was 12 kms on the flat!) Malaucene is indicated as free but we got charged 3 euros by a 14 year old with a receipt book. We still dont know if this nipper was an entrepreneur or not.
Mormoiron has an aire 44°04'10.6"N 5°11'46.7"E which is next to a lake, climbing facility and little restaurant/cafe. Busy during the day as it is a plan d'eau and views of Mt Ventoux but too far (for me) to get to the start at Bedoin.
Enjoy

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just noted the need for electric, however, I believe @Riverbankannie went up to the top a couple of years ago to stay overnight. I think I may have convinced her, purely as planning for my own trip there this year and i thank her once again!
If there are no clouds, then the view from the top at sundown, sunup and in the night are apparently one of the best in the world as you are significantly higher than anywhere nearby to get the sunset/rises view and because you are in the middle of nowhere there is very little diffusion to see the stars at night and therefore able to see further and numerous more stars.
You can park about 200 metres from the top free of charge.
If you didnt need leccy and fancied aires Sault does the job and there is a route up from there (If you do this route can you pay homage at the 12km point where some naive idiot saw sense and turned round after a night on the vino and attempted to go up on a bike and his previous best was 12 kms on the flat!) Malaucene is indicated as free but we got charged 3 euros by a 14 year old with a receipt book. We still dont know if this nipper was an entrepreneur or not.
Mormoiron has an aire 44°04'10.6"N 5°11'46.7"E which is next to a lake, climbing facility and little restaurant/cafe. Busy during the day as it is a plan d'eau and views of Mt Ventoux but too far (for me) to get to the start at Bedoin.
Enjoy
We did indeed stay, and it was wonderful.
I used a mountain weather forecast for walkers to check that Ventoux was not going to live up to its name (windy mountain), before deciding to stay overnight.
Something similar to this one
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mont-Ventoux/forecasts/1912

4644AEFA-C962-45B0-A1C0-5EBFF0F7B7FB.jpeg
4517DB1E-3ADF-4420-9719-195A07085FA8.jpeg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
2B0334F6-05BB-4FB5-B32D-FDB40AC2D340.jpeg
As you can see from date time stamp, I took this early in morning just before 8 am local time and it was quite busy already!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back