LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We're planning our trip to Italy - got the ferry booked - £50 one way Dover Calais - C&CC with CCI thrown in!:ROFLMAO:

We've bought GreenStop24 which is the Italian equivalent of France Passion - has anyone used this? Would appreciate any comments on it.::bigsmile:

Also got Guida Camper Aree Di Sosta - has anyone used this? Would appreciate any comments on it.::bigsmile:

We're planning on going via the Mont Blanc Tunnel to Courmayeur then Lake Maggiore then Venice then down the Adriatic coast right to the heel - along the sole to the toe then into Sicily. Quick tour around Sicily taking in Etna of course::bigsmile: then back up the Med coast to the French border. Along the way we want to visit Florence, Rome, Pisa, Modena, Siena, and anywhere else that takes our fancy.

Would love to hear any ideas from Funsters!::bigsmile:

We leave UK on Sept 18th and plan to be on the Costa De La Luz, Spain by mid December ( we'll need a long rest by then!!):ROFLMAO:

Anyone going to be around Italy when we are?:Smile:

Marie
:ROFLMAO:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We did a similar tour last year but the reverse way round Italy. It took us from Sept 24 to March 10 - we covered 7,356 miles and stayed at 67 different places so we weren't taking it easy! We stayed on small roads for the most part.

Didn't use either of the guides mentioned just an old copy of the French Official Guide to Aires (included other countries) and Camping-Car infos CD (very good). Sostas are often signposted and Agriturismos or Macerias often take motorhomes and even if they don't you can always ask.

You may miss a great deal in Sicily with a quick visit - there is a lot to see and experience other than Etna. We spent 2 months there and still had other things we could have done. There are sostas right in the centre of Siracusa (near the Archeological Museum) and Palermo (Green Parking) off Corso v Emanuele - both worth a long visit and don't miss the Catacombs of the Capucin monks in Palermo - 8,000 fully dressed bodies! Noto is the Golden Baroque City - look for 'Noto Parking' signs as you approach - it's a sosta in a lemon orchard - ask for Michele he will run you into town and collect you again. Agrigento, Selinunte - wonderful ruins; Trapani salt pans, windmills and fishing. Don't miss Erice - fantastic hilltop town with amazing views from there get to San Vito lo Capo peninsula and thence the Zingaro National Park (we wild camped by the entrance - magical). The best campsite is Rais Gerbi at Finale on the North Coast although others will vote for Punta Braccetto on the South coast. If your there in February the Carnivale at Acireale is beyond words.

The heel (Puglia with Trulli houses) and toe of Italy are very different (don't get kidnapped).

Everybody wonderfully friendly and helpful.

Have a great trip!

:Smile:
Keith

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Marie

You probably have already read about the Mont Blanc Tunnel and towing a car on an Aframe behind a motorhome - but just in case......

A thread from Graham some time ago.......

After touring around we decided to come back from Italy via France and the 13 Km Mont Blanc tunnel , this was a big mistake. Our firstly concern was the toll fee’s on the Italian side . the final section of only 40Km we were charged 40 euros , one Euro per Km .

This delivered us to the Toll booth of the Mont Blanc tunnel, where the attendant firmly informed us we MUST reverse out of the booth entrance, at this moment he gave no reason .
As my fellow “A” framer’s will confirm this is NOT an easy task in the best circumstances so I told him it was impossible /impractical etc and can he tell me why he wanted us to go back ?

He informed me that it was not possible for us to proceed through the tunnel towing a car using an “A” frame system but he could not tell me the exact reason simply it was "the rule’s" also and he could not let us go through the barrier to do this U turn.

Won't go into any further detail - suffice to say it cost him a small fortune - so if you are 'A' frame towing - be aware :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Hi

We did similar trip last year through mont Blanc Tunnel.

Aosta is a nice stay over, there is a site up in the mountains (easy access) with great views and walks.

We did Maggiore and Garda, of the two Garda is the unmissable one (though Maggiore is nice too). We spent 5 nights at Garda (south) and had only planned to stay 2 nights! (we are going back there in September en route to Croatia).

Other things not to miss:

North west tip of Sicily - stunning!!

Porto di Pisa - different!

Cinque Terra - put your walking boots on!!

Have a great trip.:thumb:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
To add to what Mo and Dick said about “A” Frames and the Mont Blanc Tunnel –

The Traffic Regulations for the Mont Blanc Tunnel state:

“Article 3 : vehicles subject to prior
authorization or notification

2. Access for the following vehicles requires
prior authorization from the managing entity:

e) vehicles towing another vehicle.*

For these categories of vehicles, transit is
subject to prior notification and
authorization from the managing entity.”

(*my emphasis)

So, you could in theory get prior authorisation to tow a car through the Mont Blanc Tunnel using an A Frame, but I guess not many Motorhomers would know that. Before you ask, I haven’t tried to do it.

Personally I found the Mont Blanc Tunnel a rather expensive way to cross the Alps (Italy to France) and won't be using it again.

Cheers,

SD

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Marie

You probably have already read about the Mont Blanc Tunnel and towing a car on an Aframe behind a motorhome - but just in case......

To add to what Mo and Dick said about “A” Frames and the Mont Blanc Tunnel –

So, you could in theory get prior authorisation to tow a car through the Mont Blanc Tunnel using an A Frame, but I guess not many Motorhomers would know that. Before you ask, I haven’t tried to do it.

Personally I found the Mont Blanc Tunnel a rather expensive way to cross the Alps (Italy to France) and won't be using it again.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks for that info - thankfully we don't tow anything!::bigsmile:

We've used the Mont Blanc Tunnel before - in a car in 1978 when we camped in Courmayeur in a tent and again in 1987 when we hired a small campervan and again camped in Courmayeur ( at Val Veny).
We just have a nostalgia thing about it now!::bigsmile:

I believe there's a Sosta in Courmayeur and think it may be near the cable car station. anyone know? We want to do the cable car again - this time without kids in tow!! Ist time we only got a little way up 2nd time we got to the top station - this time we'd like to go right over the top to Chamonix - Why? 'cos we can!!!:ROFLMAO:

Again it's a nostalgia thing with Maggiore - we camped in Baveno in 1978 in a tent - want to see if we can find it again!
Soppy pair aren't we?:ROFLMAO:

Anyone been to Modena? I want to see where Pavarotti grew up. I'll never forget seeing a programme on TV showing him singing Panis Angelicus with his father in the cathedral. I may just cry when I get in there ( don't tell Rex or he won't take me!!:winky:)

Thanks for all the info so far!::bigsmile:

Marie
:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back