Camping fire pit/ bowl (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Saw one on a campsite yesterday And am now keen to get one. It was a German couple and this was it : Caza firepit
Quite small with collapsible tripod legs
20170212_111125.jpg

20170212_111221.jpg
Does anyone know if it's easy to get this one or similar in the UK,?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I know a Man, who had a shed full of them and has been trying to sell me one for Months!!.:D He winds SWMBO up every-time they come on the phone or Whats-App, for a Chat!.:LOL:

I keep telling him "If I wanted an on the ground BBQ I would light me a fire!" like when I was in the Scouts!.(y) (the CC and CCC dont like it.:( But on most American Camp-grounds you get your own Fire Pit Provided, just bring wood!(y)).

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_3776 (2014_12_29 18_56_57 UTC).JPG
    IMG_3776 (2014_12_29 18_56_57 UTC).JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
That looks great
Very cheap.
I wonder if it 's good and strong?

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Its actually called CAZAL (made by Outwell) as it says on the box in your photo. They are for sale on ebay ~ £37.95. I do like these myself. The caravanning world does not revolve around CC or CCC- take your business elsewhere. You can always check with the site owners before booking/going. Far better cooking on these than any ary farty gas job. You can use wood, charcoal or briquettes. Wood is best IMO. The Etal ones are mild steel and will rust up very quickly. The Outwell Cazal is stainless steel ,will not rust nearly as much, will last and look good longer. If you want it just for bbq these would be excellent. However, if you also want to use it as a firepit for evenings outside with the warmth etc. of a camp type fire then you will need something larger for more fuel capacity. If you want to NOT scorch the grass or whatever is under the bbq when using it- a 2' by 2' piece of vermiculite type insulating board will prevent that. BTW- a great, safe, cheap and surefire way to easily start any of these things up is to have a plastic bag full of cotton face wipes, smeared with petroleum jelly. Two or three of those under your fuel and ignited with a match or lighter will ensure a roaring/glowing fire/bbq PDQ.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks thats great.
I will be cooking on it but also using for sitting around of an evening. Wouldn't a bigger one just be too big to cart around?

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Don't mess around with hobo type setups-get a proper one. You will of course(mostly)only get what you pay for. Look for a slightly larger one if the Cazal diameter is too small for you. I think its about 20" diameter., which will give off a fair amount of heat with a wood fire. Its sold purely as a bbq but theres no problem using it as a firepit too. Wood is the best fuel for a firepit fire(not charcoal or briquettes) as you want flames for best radiant heat etc. Tip- leave the fuel rack out and put a couple of inches of sand in the bottom before using it in this way as wood likes to burn that way with no air draft underneath it (but not that way for bbq where you do want air gap underneath.) You should be able to get a bigger one if you want but storage, carrying it and cleaning all come into the equation-this one is about the happy medium I think. I would keep a tin of sand with me(enough to give it 2" in the bottom and when I've finished bbqing-tip out the ash(watch out for smouldering leftovers) drop in the sand, face pad lighters and wood and away you go. A clean out now and again wont do any harm as even stainless steel(and there are several different qualities of that) will rust as the ash from fires when it gets wet, is very corrosive to it. If you google search on best woods for burning you may be able to source some that's suits you better.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have one but if windy sparks can be risky owing to low sides of fire bowl there are better options especially sitting by some one elses
and contributing by supplying wood
and alcohol food.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Most likely you were burning either chestnut, cypress, larch or pine as they are the ones that spit sparks all over the shop. Its not the low sides, its the type of wood and too much air underneath the fire that helps the wind lift them off to fly around. Properly done you wont get any. Pine is the worst culprit and the most easily obtained wood these days. Use it in log burners but not any of above in open fires where risk is high. Oak and Ash are among the best heat output and safety-all wood should be seasoned to perform at its best. If you're buying it -obtain from a trusted source. If you do it yourself, cut, split, stack, cover and leave for 1 year-presto- good wood!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
In the ten months we've been full timing I've never seen anyone use one or have any kind of fire. The one I saw the other day was the first. Theirs had a mesh lid that protects against sparks they said

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
These work well and don't burn the grass.

BROKEN LINK

Available on ebay

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I'll have another try at posting a picture :)

IMG-20140802-WA0003.jpg

I hope that's worked now.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Its actually called CAZAL (made by Outwell) as it says on the box in your photo. They are for sale on ebay ~ £37.95. I do like these myself. The caravanning world does not revolve around CC or CCC- take your business elsewhere. You can always check with the site owners before booking/going. Far better cooking on these than any ary farty gas job. You can use wood, charcoal or briquettes. Wood is best IMO. The Etal ones are mild steel and will rust up very quickly. The Outwell Cazal is stainless steel ,will not rust nearly as much, will last and look good longer. If you want it just for bbq these would be excellent. However, if you also want to use it as a firepit for evenings outside with the warmth etc. of a camp type fire then you will need something larger for more fuel capacity. If you want to NOT scorch the grass or whatever is under the bbq when using it- a 2' by 2' piece of vermiculite type insulating board will prevent that. BTW- a great, safe, cheap and surefire way to easily start any of these things up is to have a plastic bag full of cotton face wipes, smeared with petroleum jelly. Two or three of those under your fuel and ignited with a match or lighter will ensure a roaring/glowing fire/bbq PDQ.

Unfortunately not just the CC and CCC.:(. Most UK camp-sites bar "on ground" fires and BBQ`s, with few exceptions. The "Forestry" Have (had) a Blanket ban on fires for as long as I can remember. With the exception of a very few controlled "picnic" area`s.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Unfortunately not just the CC and CCC.:(. Most UK camp-sites bar "on ground" fires and BBQ`s, with few exceptions. The "Forestry" Have (had) a Blanket ban on fires for as long as I can remember. With the exception of a very few controlled "picnic" area`s.
On ukcampsite.co.uk you can see a list of both UK and European campsites that DO allow on ground campfires and bbq's. There are hundreds and hundreds of them. Of course, it is only a list of sites that the website know of-there are no doubt thousands more. Do not be dissuaded-they are out there. If you want one, then get one and have fun with it. If you need to, just google, 'campsites which allow fires and bbq's' and the site will appear in the results-there are others also.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back