Camping & Caravan Club: Site Facilities ? (1 Viewer)

How do you rate the toilet and shower facilities on a Camping and Caravan Club site

• Excellent

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Very Good

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Good

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Poor or below average

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having seldom used club sites I would like to ask club members of your opinion of the C&CC sites showering and toilet facilities .. . are they generally modern and kept clean ?

This is purely personal interest, we have been camping this past season and have visited six private sites around Scotland and Norfolk but to be blunt about it the facilities leave a lot to be desired... old fashioned, over crowded and dirty has been our experience ..

So we were thinking on rejoining the C&CC .. is it worth it , are the washing and toilet facilities good ?

I have attached a poll .. thank you for reading and taking time to reply and vote

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Jim

We have found them good and clean overall but some are dated.
Not used a site this year although still members of both CC and C&CC, used cl's instead.

Quite often we use the Motorhome to shower for convenience

Steve

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Jim, I have always found the C&CC sites to be good but not quite up to the standard of the CC, but you have to pay through the nose for those. :Sad:

At least you get oldies discount from C&CC, and on many sites you don't have to have electric included in the fee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim

We have found them good and clean overall but some are dated.
Not used a site this year although still members of both CC and C&CC, used cl's instead.

Quite often we use the Motorhome to shower for convenience

Steve

thanks Steve.. that's good to know.

we were appalled at some of the ones we saw this year .. and not on cheap sites either .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, I have always found the C&CC sites to be good but not quite up to the standard of the CC, but you have to pay through the nose for those. :Sad:

At least you get oldies discount from C&CC, and on many sites you don't have to have electric included in the fee.

Thanks Keith .. much as I expected , it would be hard to beat CC sites ..

thanks for reminding me I qualify for a discount on C&C club ... :roflmto:

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Jim,
I have stayed on three different C&CC sites this week.
One was excellent, almost to CC standard and ultra clean : however there were six wardens there.
Another was good , and the third is tired and dated.
They are all a little dated but all individual, so generally I think it is difficult to judge the overall quality or otherwise of C&CC wash facilities.
Sandy

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Jim

With the wife being disabled we tend to use C&CC if available, and buy and large they are normally of reasonable quality, worst criticism is that some are a bit dated. Some of the ones that have recently been updated can almost match CC standard, but without the cost factor as we get the age discount.

Don't think that I have ever seen one that I would call dirty.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim,
I have stayed on three different C&CC sites this week.
One was excellent, almost to CC standard and ultra clean : however there were six wardens there.
Another was good , and the third is tired and dated.
They are all a little dated but all individual, so generally I think it is difficult to judge the overall quality or otherwise of C&CC wash facilities.
Sandy

Thanks Sandy ..

yes I appreciate that it's difficult to give an overall opinion ..

CC sites which seem to have a benchmark for quality and cleanliness .. I 'm getting the impression that the C&C Club site standards are more, shall we say, .. varied ..

fender_man44

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
glossop derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 4 years
camping and cc site facilities

we have used the cc and c sites for nearly 8 years now never had a problem with the facilities as yet normally the bigger the site the better the facilities..never seen them messed up except may when the site are full of kids whos parents dont seem to bother where they are as long as they dont bother them ...wouldnt like a wardens job at any price

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!

Im baffled why some folk think the CC have the best facilities available. Ive had just as good service and facilities from non-club sites, and for a lot less money.
A recent CC site we used didnt even have any facilities - good or bad, for which they prised £14 a night from us. This year is my first and last for any sort of club membership, now ive had chance to 'test' all kinds of different sites. Theres nowt to be gained IMO.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We stay on the Barnard Castle site a few times a year and can say that the facilities are excellent :thumb: .

Lovely wardens, too, keeping the whole site clean and trim.
It makes you wonder why all sites can't be like that...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Im baffled why some folk think the CC have the best facilities available. Ive had just as good service and facilities from non-club sites, and for a lot less money.
A recent CC site we used didnt even have any facilities - good or bad, for which they prised £14 a night from us. This year is my first and last for any sort of club membership, now ive had chance to 'test' all kinds of different sites. Theres nowt to be gained IMO.

I think there are lots of non cc sites that are equally as good if not better :thumb: but as an overall comparison they are the bench mark to aim for :thumb:I find the cc &c sites are a little behind the cc sites but still perfectly usable if a little dated/ tired in many instances.
terry

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I don't often stay on big club sites now, of either club, but I always found the big advantage to be reliability. The regular cleaning, restocking and availability of free hot water was what you paid for.

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our best site so far is a non-club site at Seahouses. Excellent level spacious pitchs'....excellent views...excellent faciliities...excelent wardens. £15 a night peak season. Or, we could have opted for a CC CL bang over the road in a small paddock for the same money - but NO facilities! Who is kidding who for the sake of a 'name'??

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We always use club sites, CCsite facilitys are generally excellent, C&CC sites the facilitys are generally good, but. sometimes a little worn.
Our experience of private sites is'nt too good . One we stayed in recently in Somerset advertised a Bar and Restaurant, family run site! Bar and Restaurant was closed the three nights we were there, because the "Family member didn't turn up! Family run? So why didn't another"Family member" take over? "Oh no we've already done our eight hours!"
The advertised Bus Stop at the gate , a big attraction for us! we don't tow a car, was 600 METRES up a 1in 4 hill
£28 a night!!
Anyway! we have found the the annual subscriptions for both clubs to be money well spent!

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
stayed at thetford(norfolk) 3 times big open site with decent clean facilites

stayed at kingsbury water park( birmingham) decent clean facilites

kessingland(suffolk) facilites were good to just a bit lively when we stayed

just back from graffham(west sussex) nice clean peacefull site
good facilities but few of them but kept clean
we felt like we were wildcamping with facilites
all the pitches were secluded and surrounded by trees
look in 365 project september:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
don't often stay on sitres nowadays as we tend to Motorhome more as tourers and wild camp. However, teh C&CC sites that we have used in the past have been nothing short of excellent. In a particular site we stayed at the shower block was heated with piped music through out.
My only issue is, if you are required to use them during school holidays then expect nothing less than a soring price for teh privelige.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I voted 'good' as this is the lowest standard we have found. Often they are very good and occasionaly excellent.
But don't forget to mop.::bigsmile::winky:

John

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks to all who took the time to post and vote.. :thumb:

I know it's only a small sample but with 80% saying that the facilities are good or better we will join for the start of next season..

Having not camped under canvas for over 20 years we were out of touch with what site facilities are like, spoiled by the comforts we had enjoyed in our motorhomes, the six sites we used this year were an eye opener ..

high prices, average was about £15 - £17 for a tent with two adults and one child , dirty and over crowded facilities.. :Angry:

To be frank it was disappointing that many sites had facilities that reminded me of the 60s when I first went camping .. so for me, joining the C&CC would look like a no brainer. :Smile:

cheers

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
To get the best from any type of site - club or indie., you HAVE to do your homework. Anyone booking a place purely on the sites own blurb, gets everything they deserve. No site is going to tell you how crap they are, how poor the facilities really are, how many chav families it allows on. etc etc.
You HAVE to read other folks reviews to get the real picture, so you can make a truly informed choice. This done, spending money joining clubs is not necessary, unless you also intend taking 'advantage' of the other stuff they'll push at you - insurance, ferrys, breakdown cover etc.
Paying out just to 'guarantee' yourself a 'good site everytime' is pie in the sky.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To get the best from any type of site - club or indie., you HAVE to do your homework. Anyone booking a place purely on the sites own blurb, gets everything they deserve. No site is going to tell you how crap they are, how poor the facilities really are, how many chav families it allows on. etc etc.
You HAVE to read other folks reviews to get the real picture, so you can make a truly informed choice. This done, spending money joining clubs is not necessary, unless you also intend taking 'advantage' of the other stuff they'll push at you - insurance, ferrys, breakdown cover etc.
Paying out just to 'guarantee' yourself a 'good site everytime' is pie in the sky.

That is why I started this thread, this is HOMEWORK

I always read private reviews, and also write them and contribute to several data bases so I am not a novice .. but when you are touring and it's a spur of the moment decision on an unknown site .. not possible

People join clubs for many and varied reasons, I have been a member of both when it suited me .. I joined the C&CC to get the Arival break down and recovery service for the RV .. not available otherwise.

I joined the CC to get travel assistance and Red Pennent insurance when I first toured France in 1972 They were the best people at that time to advise and help ..

Joining the C&CC is not pie in the sky, I will join because it will give me more choice , I won't expect a 'good site' every time but if I'm not happy I will have redress with the club.. complain to a private owner and they just shrug.. with a take it or leave it attitude.

I am not trying to promote or convert anyone to joining any club.. this is my research .. not a club advert .

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have found cc & c7cc are very similar , as an example we have stayed on 3 sites near Cromer, 1 ,cc, 1 c&cc and 1 private the only one we were not happy with was the private one. Our only criticism is that all c&cc sites close there gates at night (10.30 I think ) and they do not reopen until 7am, which is not good if you are out for the evening and are in a motorhome. C&cc are also better value if you have several children as they do a family rate.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have found cc & c7cc are very similar , as an example we have stayed on 3 sites near Cromer, 1 ,cc, 1 c&cc and 1 private the only one we were not happy with was the private one. Our only criticism is that all c&cc sites close there gates at night (10.30 I think ) and they do not reopen until 7am, which is not good if you are out for the evening and are in a motorhome. C&cc are also better value if you have several children as they do a family rate.

well, as far as I'm concerned that is a good rule. :thumb:

There is nothing more annoying than vans or cars prowling about late at night on a site when you are trying to get some sleep ..

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Jim, im not having a go at you or anyone else for joining clubs, its a personal choice. What im saying, is that you dont HAVE to join a club to get the best site/facilities. A baffling notion more than just a handfull of folk seem to hold for some reason. If these clubs offer 'extras' tht you wish to take up, all well and good, but for purely 'camping' reasons, i still maintain they are a waste of money.

Though, you say you are doing your 'homework', this homework is apparently restricted to just one clubs sites. You say youve landed on some poor private sites. To this i would say homework has to be done on a number of sites in areas you'll likely be visiting on any given trip. This offers you a number of options as you move about, as you wont always get in at your 'first choice' site.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
well, as far as I'm concerned that is a good rule. :thumb:

There is nothing more annoying than vans or cars prowling about late at night on a site when you are trying to get some sleep ..

:ROFLMAO: Ah yes Jim but do not forget some people ( us ) use the van to go out in the day or for the night and as such we need to get back into /onto the site for the night. We don't do toads and seriously do not understand why people with 20 ft m/h s need them :ROFLMAO: OK if you have a 30 footer and live in it :winky:
I also understand your annoyance at people making noise early / late - last week I was at the side of a van who took a full 25 mins shunting back and forth to get his van perfectly level on his blocks with his wife shouting instructions :ROFLMAO: almost as entertaining as tuggers and awnings :ROFLMAO:
terry

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Thanks to all who took the time to post and vote.. :thumb:

I know it's only a small sample but with 80% saying that the facilities are good or better we will join for the start of next season..

Having not camped under canvas for over 20 years we were out of touch with what site facilities are like, spoiled by the comforts we had enjoyed in our motorhomes, the six sites we used this year were an eye opener ..

high prices, average was about £15 - £17 for a tent with two adults and one child , dirty and over crowded facilities.. :Angry:

To be frank it was disappointing that many sites had facilities that reminded me of the 60s when I first went camping .. so for me, joining the C&CC would look like a no brainer. :Smile:

cheers

three nights over 55 concession at graffham was £39.00

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I also understand your annoyance at people making noise early / late - last week I was at the side of a van who took a full 25 mins shunting back and forth to get his van perfectly level on his blocks with his wife shouting instructions :ROFLMAO: almost as entertaining as tuggers and awnings :ROFLMAO:
terry

I must say some people should be banned from coming back in the dark.

I saw someone return in the dark and demolish next doors awning, they where slightly off course in their reverse navigation.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back