Camping and Caravanning Show -NEC Report (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Yesterday (Thursday 22/2/18) we went to the NEC for the Show utilising FREE tickets won from Search For Sites -the APP we use to find where to pull up when we are away touring (without planning)

WE planned on Zero spending -(Yeah right)

We were checking out
Electric cycles
Satellite TV systems

and wanting to find and chat with some friends we knew were there

So
We found a flat satellite system that we have seen on site in Southern Spain working on UK TV so Steph decided to pay a deposit on a system but not one on the motorhome a tripod system

We bought a few small things though (a couple of decent thin fleeces and bits) and got lots of pens , keyrings, and bottle openers I didn't get the hat I would have liked as we ran out of cash (that way we wouldn't over spend) a decent waterproof one at £30

We did find a firm selling electric cycles that we like the design of the battery placing , the physical size and weight - - so will be hoping that we have enough cash when we go to the Malvern show to be able to buy two ( YES 2 as when we are in warmer climes my disability improves enough to ride one)

I did find Dave Knowles - The Thermal Chef - who is a photographer as well as a seller of the MR D's Thermal Cooker a very useful slow cooker that works on the Hotbox principle (that I love and sueas often as I can )

and we chatted to a few stands finding one (Camptoo) that was setting up a way for people to rent out their camping cars when they aren't using it (similar to AirBNB but for motorhomes) - nice idea but not for us and when we talked they were enthusiast but understood why we couldn't and it was a reason they had not encountered before not realising that Motorhomes can be registered as a disable use vehicle.

So companies
Falcon Technologies - Satellite TV
A S Bikes for their electric cycles
Camptoo
Camping C'Est Si Bon
Les Camping de Bretagne
Mr D's Thermal Cooker
RSPB

Regrets
Couldn't find Lee Davey's Caravan

but then we did miss some of the show areas simply due to the way the show was laid out no simple pathway through
The size of the individual stalls seems to be smaller than last year

The bigger manufacturers stands did seem to overpower the arenas as you would expect leaving some stands (Towsures) to try and cram a gallon into a pint pot so much so that I just couldn't navigate my scooter around

AND A BIG GET LOST to WWF - - their representative was over bearing pushy and we do not take kindly to handbagging

We will stick to local wildlife charities

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We went yesterday and there was a distinct lack of choice in the motorhome department, no N+B no Morelo no Concorde it’s easier to go over the water and see them all together and then the UK dealers will wonder why we buy abroad.

Martin
I don't really bother with the Feb show, whenever I've gone along it seems its all tents and tuggers. The October show is much better for motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Yes November show is better, but am usually in warmer climes then. only bought a drink, might have been cheaper to buy a motorhome.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In fact it used to be Boats, Tents and Tuggers - not worth going IMO.
We were only 10 miles away with MIL so the choice was another repeat of New Trick’s or the the NEC:LOL: the NEC was marginally better.

Martin

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
We went yesterday and there was a distinct lack of choice in the motorhome department, no N+B no Morelo no Concorde it’s easier to go over the water and see them all together and then the UK dealers will wonder why we buy abroad.

Martin
Dusseldorf, last week of August. Much better than UK shows.

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Did you all get you free trial code from Campercontact +mints.
Mine had just run out and needed renewing.
The lady explained use this and it is free till end of July.Brilliant

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I went Wednesday. Left North Wales just after 09:00. Went to the show and arrived home just after 15:00. Didn't take very long to see all of the vans.:oops:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I went Wednesday. Left North Wales just after 09:00. Went to the show and arrived home just after 15:00. Didn't take very long to see all of the vans.:oops:
That's why we didn't see you, at least we stayed till about 16:00.

Martin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We're at a local to NEC pub. We will be going tomorrow. My TomTom got me round the M42 accident after warning of a 1hr 27min delay.
Saw some nice villages. So glad we now drive a PVC as there was a couple of places a coach built wouldn't have got through due to silly parking near schools etc.

OP
OP
Madcaravanner
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Martin

I don't really bother with the Feb show, whenever I've gone along it seems its all tents and tuggers. The October show is much better for motorhomes.

WE were not looking for a motorhome as it's only a year since we got Maxine by paying cash and thoe motorhomes we did peek into were rubbish compared to our 11 year old beauty on build/space/storage etc.

as said previously got free tickets so it would be rude not too - - though looking forward to Malvern hoping we have enough money for a couple of bikes - - - unless we can find some similar cheaper which I very much doubt for the quality that we saw

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
which I very much doubt for the quality that we saw
We bought a couple of G Tech bikes at the show good deal i think they were delivered the next day we went on tue with free tickets

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We went yesterday, one free ticket and one reduced as pre booked.

Things bought for Moho collapsable mixing bowl and two of the skewer type pegs.

Random purchase hand cream for Swmbo, various cheeses for both of us, flower pot holder in the shape of garden bench for SWMBO and a metal windmill because I liked it :)

Looked at some very nice moho's even one for £157k :eek: but no deposits paid.
I just cant see me squeezing down some roads with a brand new van :eek:

Met some geezer called Eddie flogging stuff for moho's :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last time I went was when they first started they when I was working in the industry it was naff then. Sounds like it hasn't improved nearly 30 years.
IMO the only show worth going to is Caravan Salon at Dusseldorf, does get expensive been 3 times bought a new van each time.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its a shame the shows are not dated the other way round i.e NEC in August, Dusseldorf in October, then we could all see the new years vans at the NEC, then go and buy them in Dusseldorf with a 20% discount, assuming that you want a continental built van of course. :)
Les

Big Adam

Free Member
Feb 22, 2018
Funster No
Our first ever visit yesterday.
Disappointed not to find any Knaus motorhomes.
Did enjoy show though, particularly once it got very quiet around 4pm

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We went yesterday as well, I'd already worked out which stands we were interested in and "vaguely" plotted a route so we didn't end up trailing round the caravans and holiday homes which we weren't interested in.

Mark fell in love with an IH 640 RL/RD and even made up the bed and tried it out, we looked at some other PVCs and then went back to IH for another look, the salesman tried hard to sell us either that one or one we would order but we managed to hold firm. When we got home I did a few calculations and really thought hard about it and a transverse bed still won't work for me, we need the longitudinal and we don't really need that level of spec - there's no doubt that they are really well made though.

I still like the Fifer Touring L from East Neuk Campervans and we're basing a trip up to Scotland round visiting them in June but I'd love to see them before then if we can.

We knew there wouldn't be as many motorhomes at this show compared to the October show, but it was still worth going, we left home at 7am to allow time to stop off for breakfast but were home early afternoon having seen as we wanted to.

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
We went yesterday, round trip of 4 1/2 hours, very disappointing as we were back home at around 3:30 just in time for the rugby.
No Burstner, No Knaus, few Chausson, few Rapido, few Hymer, few Cathargo, few others and full compliment British vans Autotrail/swift etc
It must of been the latter show we went to the year before, as that was a day out.
Negative was the clown from Brownhills trying to convince me there was no such model, on the Rapido stand.
Me: “have you got an 896 on show” ?
Brownhills: “no, as there is no such model”
Me: “are you sure, as we are looking to purchase and would like a look at in the flesh”
Brownhills : gets the catalogue out, “oh yes there is an 896, but we don’t have one here”
Me: no worries and on our way

Positive - Bavaria, what a cracking van for good money. (Gone to the top of the list)

So it’s off the Düsseldorf in August as we want to view to full array of vans as we will be purchasing.

How long would we need to allow at the Düsseldorf show ? as we’re aware it’s a big event, however our focus will be on an a class purchase.

Thanks in advance

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
We went yesterday, round trip of 4 1/2 hours, very disappointing as we were back home at around 3:30 just in time for the rugby.
No Burstner, No Knaus, few Chausson, few Rapido, few Hymer, few Cathargo, few others and full compliment British vans Autotrail/swift etc
It must of been the latter show we went to the year before, as that was a day out.
Negative was the clown from Brownhills trying to convince me there was no such model, on the Rapido stand.
Me: “are you sure, as we are looking to purchase and would like a look at in the flesh”
Brownhills : gets the catalogue out, “oh yes there is an 896, but we don’t have one here”

Positive - Bavaria, what a cracking van for good money. (Gone to the top of the list)

So it’s off the Düsseldorf in August as we want to view to full array of vans as we will be purchasing.

How long would we need to allow at the Düsseldorf show ? as we’re aware it’s a big event, however our focus will be on an a class purchase.

Thanks in advance
You can be there all day and not see everything, it is that big. All the German
manufacturers will have their full range displayed. If you buy your tickets online, they include free bus travel to and from the show, the last time I went I was on a site in Arnhem just over the border into Holland and still got free travel.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Thanks in advance
If you join "Caravan Salon" and buy your tickets online as NN suggests you will get two days for not a lot of Euro if you need another day to do a deal ask the dealer you are talking to as they might have tickets(y)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back