Camping and Caravanning , Jobsworth ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Do the Camping and Caravanning club overdo the application of their rules ?

Last year we stayed on a C&C Club site on Skye, the warden insisted he watched and instructed every turn of my steering wheel to make sure my "side pods" :ROFLMAO: did not overhang the grass.
He then watched some campers erect their tents opposite where we were. When they were up, the warden then asked them to take it down and move it a foot further away from the neighbouring tent :Doh:

We are now on a C&CClub site in Derbyshire and when booking by phone was asked the length, 8.5 m , at which time I was asked to wait while they checked if their was a plot on "the grid" big enough. Yes, but have you got slideouts, yes, how wide are you with them out, 2.7 m think that will be ok. So we booked.
This is a large very spacious site where almost every pitch would accept a 10m unit
On arrival the wardens were excellent, friendly etc :thumb: but still assisted in getting us pitched and perfectly placed.

I have driven and pitched this tiddly RV throughout the UK and also in Europe and ONLY the C&CClub find it necessary to give me this degree of assistance in pitching, the rest normally say " find a pitch and let us know"

BTW others in Eurovans also received similar attentions :RollEyes:

Is this over friendly by the "friendly club" ??

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Last year we stayed on a C&C Club site on Skye, the warden insisted he watched and instructed every turn of my steering wheel to make sure my "side pods" :ROFLMAO: did not overhang the grass.
He then watched some campers erect their tents opposite where we were. When they were up, the warden then asked them to take it down and move it a foot further away from the neighbouring tent :Doh:

We are now on a C&CClub site in Derbyshire and when booking by phone was asked the length, 8.5 m , at which time I was asked to wait while they checked if their was a plot on "the grid" big enough. Yes, but have you got slideouts, yes, how wide are you with them out, 2.7 m think that will be ok. So we booked.
This is a large very spacious site where almost every pitch would accept a 10m unit
On arrival the wardens were excellent, friendly etc :thumb: but still assisted in getting us pitched and perfectly placed.

I have driven and pitched this tiddly RV throughout the UK and also in Europe and ONLY the C&CClub find it necessary to give me this degree of assistance in pitching, the rest normally say " find a pitch and let us know"

Caravan Club warden was a jobs worth it appears but the C&CC warden where you are now you say was excellent and friendly and assisted in getting you pitched. I really can't see a problem with that. So to answer your question in a word, "No"

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There have been "interesting" discussions on the Caravan Club forum about the new pitching rules recently.

All clubs have their rules and even if we might think they are senseless those who implemented them take the opposite view (and they are as entitled to their view as we are). We also, as members, have the right to attend meetings and try to get any rules we disagree with changed (and also to lodge complaints against any employees we believe are over-zealous).

The answer is simple really. We either join the club and put up with the rules or we leave the club.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Caravan Club warden was a jobs worth it appears but the C&CC warden where you are now you say was excellent and friendly and assisted in getting you pitched. I really can't see a problem with that. So to answer your question in a word, "No"

As I posted, anywhere else they allow and trust drivers to manoeuvre their own vehicle without " watching and suggesting every turn of the wheel of a vehicle they have never driven.
I wondered why the C&CClub need to be different, :Doh:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As I posted, anywhere else they allow and trust drivers to manoeuvre their own vehicle without " watching and suggesting every turn of the wheel of a vehicle they have never driven.
I wondered why the C&CClub need to be different, :Doh:

They claim to be the friendly club, I suppose they think they should demonstrate that to their customers.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There have been "interesting" discussions on the Caravan Club forum about the new pitching rules recently.

All clubs have their rules and even if we might think they are senseless those who implemented them take the opposite view (and they are as entitled to their view as we are). We also, as members, have the right to attend meetings and try to get any rules we disagree with changed (and also to lodge complaints against any employees we believe are over-zealous).

The answer is simple really. We either join the club and put up with the rules or we leave the club.

I agree Graham, but I don't know about you but if a warden or anyone tells me how to drive , I might be inclined to suggest an exit strategy for him :Angry:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We were at the C&CC site in Oban (actually at Barcaldine) recently and the subject of the Skye site was mentioned by another camper - quite unprompted. Skye is a franchised rather than a Club-owned site and apparently there have been several comments about the 'regimental' nature of the official concerned, even making the news at the annual club conference. I understand that there has been a change of site personnel following the discussion.

p.s. lovely team at the Oban site - very friendly and helpful. It's a small but very nice site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They claim to be the friendly club, I suppose they think they should demonstrate that to their customers.

By instructing them how to drive their own vehicle :RollEyes:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
The problem is, I think, that like many things in life we end up working to the lowest denominater. Having just spent several weeks on Camping & Caravanning Club sites, I am amazed and appalled at the driving ability of some Tuggers and Motorhome owners.

I watched people drive over concrete kerbs because they couldnt get around the corners, people completely incapable of getting their unit on to the hardstand, and one motorhomer at Minehead, who changed to a grass pitch because he couldnt back his SWB transit conversion on to a hardstand.

Of course there are many who are more than capable of parking up their vehicle, but the staff don,t know that!

I suspect if driving standards drop much lower, they will have staff that park our vehicles for us.::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I am on the C&CC site at Devizes and find the way the warden accompanies you to the pitch and sees you in really helpful. I'm on my own and a bit nervous reversing onto a pitch so always find it helpful, never had a problem.

Last week I was at C&CC in the New Forest and it was "here's a map, find your pitch" I couldn't find one on the colour I'd paid for, and there were lots of quite small, unaccompanied kids either running about or riding bikes. I was so stressed I ended up in the wrong area, on a top price pitch when I should have had the middle one ( their signing isn't great either) wasn't going to negotiate round the kids again so stayed put. Thought it would be easier to pay the difference if asked to.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I was on the CCC at Devizes a few weeks ago , after settling in, I started to wash off the dead flies off the front of the van , very soon after starting the warden approached me waving his arms in the air stating your not allowed to wash your van. I informed him I was washing off the dead flies only , he then told me I could clean the windows, lights & mirrors only . I truely did want to tell him where to go but we had friends arriving the next day . I did continue and cleaned what I wanted to clean. :winky: Why you cant wash your van I do not know, I havent come across this on the CC site.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I was on the CCC at Devizes a few weeks ago , after settling in, I started to wash off the dead flies off the front of the van , very soon after starting the warden approached me waving his arms in the air stating your not allowed to wash your van. I informed him I was washing off the dead flies only , he then told me I could clean the windows, lights & mirrors only . I truely did want to tell him where to go but we had friends arriving the next day . I did continue and cleaned what I wanted to clean. :winky: Why you cant wash your van I do not know, I havent come across this on the CC site.

I can beat any for the jobs worthies I was like you removing dead insects of thd front of my motorhome. Told I was to stop at once
Not allowd to clean vehicles on site
I pointed out I was using no water. Cleaning & polishing solution
No water no hose pipe No bucket

The club rules no washing of vans on site
Crazy I know
But rules are rules
No matter how stupid they are
Gone are the days where common sense is used
Mindless morons running sites like a natzi commandant
God help us for thd future I use Cls now I try to keep away from main sites in both clubs. As they are now as bad as each other

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
You have to be a wee bit sympathetic to the poor site wardens especially when you remember that possibly 10% of the customers, and maybe more, are complete and utter pratts.

The rule now installed regarding parking to the post is absolutely essential to prevent the pratts from parking where they feel fit regardless of the sites insurance policy.

How many times have we seen campers park so they can put their awnings on the grass when instuctions say remain within the hard standing, how many times have we seen campersr stick their washing within the boundaries of our pitch and the most annoying is when next door ties up three dogs that can reach our doorway.

Sorry it is as always will be rules have to be made to counteract the selfish behaviour of a small percentage that stuff it up for the majority that are very aware of their actions upon others

If you happen to find a warden that is a little Hitler towards you then ask the question

ARE YOU BEING A PRATT as we have never found one yet

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We stayed at the Caravan Club sit on Uttoxeter Racecourse last weekend.

Their rules state that you motorhome or caravan must be reversed so that the pitch peg is on the rear nearside corner.

This would have been fine but caravans then have to put their awnings up on one side of the caravan and park their car on the other side.

This left us with no room to put up the awning on our motorhome although we had a huge, wasted space on the other side of us!

The kind caravan owner negotiated with his neighbour on the other side to park his car next to his awning but could easily have fallen foul of 'The Rules' by doing so.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Their rules state that you motorhome or caravan must be reversed so that the pitch peg is on the rear nearside corner.

This would have been fine but caravans then have to put their awnings up on one side of the caravan and park their car on the other side.

This left us with no room to put up the awning on our motorhome although we had a huge, wasted space on the other side of us!

The kind caravan owner negotiated with his neighbour on the other side to park his car next to his awning but could easily have fallen foul of 'The Rules' by doing so.

Seems simple surely to allow motorhomes to park as close as possible to side of pitch and caravans to site as per peg on nearside corner. Is that difficult?

Rob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

From posts on the CC forum it appears that the explanation to site wardens of the revised pitching rules has left something to be desired. Apparently new instructions have just been sent out allowing flexibility so long as the 6m minimum spacing between adjacent caravan/motorhome walls is maintained.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have been on several club sites recently and common sense does prevail-----it is either nearside front to the peg or offside rear to the peg

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
From posts on the CC forum it appears that the explanation to site wardens of the revised pitching rules has left something to be desired. Apparently new instructions have just been sent out allowing flexibility so long as the 6m minimum spacing between adjacent caravan/motorhome walls is maintained.

Sounds like common sense, not something I have previously associated with either of the businesses (not clubs) that run camp sites.

A search on the meaning of club brought up the following:

Noun
An association dedicated to a particular interest or activity.
A heavy stick with a thick end, esp. one used as a weapon :Eeek:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Stayed there

We stayed at the site on Skye last year and the wardens seemed really helpful and genuine. I have also stayed on another site , when we were tuggers, that a little old lady got on a bike and led you to your pitch. She then instructed me through every inch of manoeuvre onto the pitch. And it was inch perfect. I felt a bit put out at first but then realised she had reversed me perfectly. I could have done it myself but may have taken a couple of goes but how many people turn up that can't revers? Some people are genuinely helpful.:Smile::Smile:

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
My gripe is when you turn up at sites or shows you find both tuggers and motorhomes who insist on laying out their pitch with extended awnings then wind breaks to announce this is their pitch and they will use all of it.

I don't mind being told where to park but at then end of the day the wardens will not be insured if you crash under their supervision. If they take charge of your reversing then they will be liable I would think.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we had a nightmare warden on the cc site at cherry hinton near cambridge

we pitched up as requested and had a quiet couple of days, then i had a couple of days in hospital, leaving the wife on site alone with the dogs. my hospital stay coincided with a change of wardens and new tugger as a next door neighbour.

the next morning the PITA warden approached the wife to say the van was 5 inches too close to the caravan, and as they had an awning up by now and we were on levellers, she should move our van. the wife explained that although she had driven the van once before, she was not proficient with using the levelling ramps. PITA conceded that it could stay like that temporarily, but if anyone complained or if they were inspected she would then have to move

just when you dont need that sort of sh!te, and are worrying about your spouse in hospital these PITA wardens seem to find something to trouble you

guess where we wont be using again

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My gripe is when you turn up at sites or shows you find both tuggers and motorhomes who insist on laying out their pitch with extended awnings then wind breaks to announce this is their pitch and they will use all of it.

I don't mind being told where to park but at then end of the day the wardens will not be insured if you crash under their supervision. [HI]If they take charge of your reversing then they will be liable I would think[/HI].

No the driver is fully responsible for what they do with the vehicle. the onus is on you to make sure its safe to maneuver

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The money they charge to tell you what to do, I don't know why you bother with them.

Fishman

Free Member
Apr 16, 2010
Stockport,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 630LB
Exp
since April 2009
Assisted pitching up

Ive just got back from a ten day mini tour staying on various sites some that let you pitch up where you may and I can only say some "campers" literally do just that not showing one one bit of courtesy to other people. The the last site we stopped on was the C&CC Oxford well maintained and well managed as you say they are "Fussy" but it's a small price to pay,rather that than some prat parked bonnet to bonnet so they get a better view of whatever

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Very few club sites have decent views.On Club sites, I have been 'told' to pitch 'to the peg' which has meant that I can't use my awning and lose the benefit.
When will they realise that not all vehicles are the same. I have seen them pitch continental caravans 'the wrong way 'round',but then we're only motorhomes! Who have to pay for our toad while tuggers don't,so what's the difference?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back