Camping and Caravanning Club Renewal Offer Update (1 Viewer)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
What a day I've had getting quotes :mad:

# Numerous dead-ends for high premiums.
# Some ridiculous quotes of over £1000.
# Some confusion as to who I was dealing with. Why two different icons? (BTW the difference in price turned out to be breakdown cover - not obvious from the display):

upload_2017-10-11_17-24-24.png

# Refusal - SAGA - as "not built for UK market" (LHD imported from Belgium IIRC).
# Unbelievable T&Cs in Aviva Policy document. E.g.:

Section XI
Replacement locks
If the ignition keys of your motorhome are lost or stolen we will pay for the cost of replacing:

● the door locks and/or boot lock

● the ignition/steering lock
● the lock transmitter and central locking interface;
provided that you can establish to our satisfaction that the identity or garaging address of your motorhome is known to any person who is in possession of your keys or transmitter.

But here's the rub:
I have now accepted a quote, via Comfort, using ERS as insurer, for £294.40.

This is in comparison to my renewal quote from Club Care - again using ERS - of £857.20 (last year £470.84).

OK, new quote doesn't include breakdown (£73), and I've reduced annual mileage from 15,000 to 10,000.

But - now allows me 180 days continuous in EU (vs. 90 days total), and excess reduced from £550 to £400.

NB! This is from the same insurer.

Club Care, when approached, said the price hike was because they "had changed their insurer, which had instigated a new pricing structure"

Even getting quotes from Comfort was fraught - depending on how I reached them. Via Gocompare got one set of quotes, but a totally different set via ASDA. Comfort tell me that depending on how they are contacted they offer a different panel of insurers: Gocompare or direct gets you Aviva, ASDA gets you ERS! After the first session online, I received at least three calls from Comfort while I was still looking at the online system. Later their system gave up the ghost just as I was about to commit to buying (it showed the same price for both with and without breakdown cover, and wouldn't update), so I phoned them - only to speak to an operative who'd called me earlier. After ten minutes going through the application the line went dead. It took yet another call to complete the purchase.

I'm exhausted and not a little angry at the process.(n)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Last year at this time I had the car, motorhome and house all insured with the Camping Club, now due to the renewal costs being high I have all three with the Caravan Club.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Only worth using when they offer to beat your renewal by £25.
Shop around or get shafted should be the insurance industry's strap line.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Lenny as a long time motorhomer who do you use, and why, also for breakdowns?

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
When I had the caravan I shopped around and often found C&CC a fair price and great package. Bought the motorhome and asked them for a quote. After surviving the shock with the help of a defibrillator I went to the Meetcat one and saved myself £600!! C&CC absolute rip off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've been with Comfort (Aviva) for a good number of years with the Hymer, but as soon as I tried to insure the N&B Flair, they wanted to sting me, despite a less than £50K value, and no claims during my years with them. :(

I went to the NFU at their Louth office. Not only did I have great service from Natalie, but I was very pleasantly surprised at a premium only fractionally higher than last year's, and also the facility to pay monthly by DD, at no extra cost.
They do not charge for amendments (of which I have already made two), and I am also not restricted to the 90 day rule abroad, which some other insurers (not Comfort) seem to apply. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny as a long time motorhomer who do you use, and why, also for breakdowns?
Been using Comfort for the last 9 years, premium didn't even go up after a claim a few years ago, also had a prang in my car a couple of years ago it didn't affect the premium.
Breakdown always relied on Fiat or Comfort but never had to call them out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back