Camping and Caravanning Club - out of touch? (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We recently spent three nights at Delamere and were quite surprised to be charged almost £90. The surprise coupled with many empty pitches prompted me to send this email - their reply below.

Just returned from an enjoyable but oh so expensive three night stay at Delamere. It has to be noted that I have NEVER (despite it being our most visited site) seen so many empty spaces on a Friday night. You need to know that your pricing is the single most common topic of conversation between campers. It makes business sense to maximise club income but there comes a level where the membership and others say "NO" and vote with their feet or whatever form of transport they use. Keep it affordable or expect income to fall.

Reply received today

Thank you for your enquiry.

I am sorry that you feel our campsites have become too expensive for you to enjoy.

Regrettably the cost of maintaining and developing the network of Club sites has grown over the years. A number of our sites are in need of investment to ensure they continue to deliver the qualities expected from the Club or even improve beyond this to keep them attractive to future Members. Two main changes have effectively been made to help the Club achieve this; firstly the restructure of base prices to ensure a degree of income can be generated allowing planned investment, and secondly the introduction of flexible pricing to enable greater responsiveness to camper demand and the value on offer.

However, we remain very aware that not all Members feel this way and there is no doubt that combinations of personal circumstance and camping activity (e.g., a price rise, the introduction of a shoulder season) can represent significant change for certain stays depending on site and date.

The decisions regarding this initiative were made in full consultation with elected Member committees and voluntary officers representing the Membership after many years of research, planning, and consideration of Club finances and obligations to its Membership, and it was always acknowledged that, regrettably, there would be some Members who would feel unhappy with the initial restructuring of prices and the new presentation of fees.

We are aware that some of our campsites have had an increase in price against last year however, there are still over 30 sites that are cheaper in high season than in 2013 and 20 sites have a lower family deal in high season than 2013.

We appreciate your comments and I can assure you that they have been passed to our Marketing team who look at customer feedback to help make improvements for the future.

Regards

"Too expensive for me?" Who chose that response? Marketing?

Not impressed at all

Steve

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
And I thought the CC were expensive. Their argument holds very little water, as gross memberships have risen in (both) clubs by about 60,000 in the last five years, whilst warden based services have deteriorated, (namely offices being shut throughout greater parts of the day owing to staff shortage).
The stock letter they sent by return just goes to prove they don't give a damn.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
How much?!! We did not go to St andrews site, kinkell braes, as they charged £30. loch Lomand site was charging £50 during commonwealth games...

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
interestly, most very good to good camp sites in Spain and France are leagues better than the best Camp' & Caravan, Caravan Club ......cost wise as well as facilities......my wife and I experience's over the last three years from our tours here in the UK and aboard

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We don't need EHU, showers, toilet blocks and the rest so don't use main sites (be they club or private) unless there is no alternative. Our preference is for rallying (not CC because of the convoluted route of finding out what's on and the need to book in advance for arranged events we probably don't want) with CLs/CSs second.

We have stayed on CC sites but never C&CC. We retain CC membership purely for access to the CL network (as they still insist on a member only rule).

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
Not only expensive pitches but in my opinion discrimination against the smaller van. All pay the same price with or without awning and yet a 6m camper gets put on the 'runt' pitch.
I wrote a formal letter re the above and the reply was a message left on our answer system!! Not willing to accept this I rang the number they gave and eventually spoke to someone who tried to justify the prices and the fact it is perfectly acceptable to get a small dark, dank and dreary pitch if you are a smaller Motorhome! To shut me up I was offered a £10 voucher this arrived with a With Compliments slip,
' As agreed £10 voucher cheers Drew :)'
all written in green ink!!

Another not renewing when membership runs out.

Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
I live in Delamere and can never understand how they can charge so much.
Everytiime ive been there for info or gas have always been treated very rudely.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Club sites are so expensive that we now only use them if we get a special offer discount. CL and CS sites are the way to go - well at least for us!

As a solo motorhomer, provided the weather's good enough to allow me to pitch up on grass and not need EHU, the club sites are usually cheaper than a CS, which usually assumes 2+ persons.

Having said that, so far this year I don't think I've come across a club site that is cheaper compared with last year but then again the C&CC often promote their cheaper 2014 high season prices and most of my bookings are low/medium season.

And don't get me started on the new 'shoulder season'! :swear:

In fact, I'll stop now....this topic has already come up several times this year. We won't know whether the C&CC will regret their new rules until the 2014 - 2015 financial results come out. I thought I read recently that their early-summer bookings were very good.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Club sites are so expensive that we now only use them if we get a special offer discount. CL and CS sites are the way to go - well at least for us!
I agree, although for the last two years we have noticed that the CLs are never at the price stated in the CC book. I know they give the caveat 'the stated price may not be the one you pay' but it usually was up until a couple of years ago, since then they have always been at least £2 more than stated, sometimes more. So we are using Britstops more and more these days - and before anyone says - they can sometimes be more expensive, a couple of pints on an evening with the van just yards away is far preferable to me than a farmer's field with uncut grass, no facilities, and then being charged a higher rate than expected.

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not a member of Camping and Caravanning but do stay in several different campsites and cannot believe how prices have gone up. I suppose since the financial crash, many more families now favour camping holidays over foreign trips and it is a case of 'supply and demand.' Sad thing is, my daughter and I worked it out, and when one took into account insurance, road tax, mot, general mechanical upkeep and campsite fees, we realised we were paying out much more this year than we would have done if we'd stayed in B&Bs for the number of nights we've been away. I love my old van but it does give one pause for thought.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Too right the CCC are out of touch. A few months ago an article about cleaning motorhomes appeared in the "ask the expert" part of the magazine. The article was at best misleading and at worse advised methods that could damage members vans. I wrote a polite email to the editor pointing out these errors only to receive an email from the author of the article basically saying she was right I was wrong and anyway she knew far more about the subject than me. I didn't bother pursuing it anymore as clearly there was no point. I am still a member of CCC as we do like to use the DA meets and temporary holiday sites as they can be in cracking locations and are keenly priced.
PS I'm still waiting to hear from Jim ref. forum sponsorship

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We don't need EHU, showers, toilet blocks and the rest so don't use main sites (be they club or private) unless there is no alternative. Our preference is for rallying (not CC because of the convoluted route of finding out what's on and the need to book in advance for arranged events we probably don't want) with CLs/CSs second.

We have stayed on CC sites but never C&CC. We retain CC membership purely for access to the CL network (as they still insist on a member only rule).
Agree that's all we use ccc for but I think they have had the last money they are having off me, we can always find somewhere else, I think you will get on quite a few cls without being a member;) Just ask at an empty one

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Not only expensive pitches but in my opinion discrimination against the smaller van. All pay the same price with or without awning and yet a 6m camper gets put on the 'runt' pitch.
I wrote a formal letter re the above and the reply was a message left on our answer system!! Not willing to accept this I rang the number they gave and eventually spoke to someone who tried to justify the prices and the fact it is perfectly acceptable to get a small dark, dank and dreary pitch if you are a smaller Motorhome! To shut me up I was offered a £10 voucher this arrived with a With Compliments slip,
' As agreed £10 voucher cheers Drew :)'
all written in green ink!!

Another not renewing when membership runs out.

That's why I left the C&CC three years back. Now a member of CC but apart from Sandringham we only use the CLs (many of which are very good). When going to Sandringham we:rolleyes: save :Dfor the months leading up to the trip! Allegro, I really hope you used that voucher!

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
We certainly will do, we have until Feb when we will no longer be members. Would have used it on Skye but the site there was too expensive even with £10 off!!

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I use CC and CC&C sites and find the CC&C sites cheaper.

Both sites offer good sites, try getting a commercial site at the same standard for the same price!

Yes we do tend to go out of High Season but we. Went to the CC&C fantastic site at Corfe Castle and we were charged £27 per night, and I am not complaining!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just got an offer of a cruise going in December £599 for a balcony for 12 nights.... can't go but if we could???? An inside was £399 I think.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I am a member of both clubs and was happy with the C&CC up until this year when I was charged £15 for a CS in a crummy field with EHU and not much else. I was the only motorhome there - I wonder why. Really poor quality. Contrast that with the very good smart CC sites at around £18-£22 for a full service park. Problem is neither club caters for motorhomes properly. We, who don't need to use the facilities, pay the same as caravanners and are therefore subsidising them to some small extent. We should get a reduced rate. However, I'll stick with the clubs for now. Whilst the CC have, in my opinion, consistently good CPs (generally better than the C&CC), the C&CC give me a massive discount off the cost of the ferry from the Isle of Wight to the mainland. A localised advantage but worthwhile to us nonetheless.

That said I'm really fed up with travelling in the UK. This is the most motorhome unfriendly country on the planet. Local and national government and the industry have connived to force us unnecessarily into overpriced CPs (how can a concrete pad be charged at £20+ when a B&B with breakfast can be had for £45) and the reluctance of local councils to even provide adequate parking in so many areas is just arrogant pisstaking. Scotland has its attractions but it always seems to be raining up there which makes me wonder just what it would take to drown all the mozzies.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I am a member of both clubs and was happy with the C&CC up until this year when I was charged £15 for a CS in a crummy field with EHU and not much else. I was the only motorhome there - I wonder why. Really poor quality. Contrast that with the very good smart CC sites at around £18-£22 for a full service park. Problem is neither club caters for motorhomes properly. We, who don't need to use the facilities, pay the same as caravanners and are therefore subsidising them to some small extent. We should get a reduced rate. However, I'll stick with the clubs for now. Whilst the CC have, in my opinion, consistently good CPs (generally better than the C&CC), the C&CC give me a massive discount off the cost of the ferry from the Isle of Wight to the mainland. A localised advantage but worthwhile to us nonetheless.

That said I'm really fed up with travelling in the UK. This is the most motorhome unfriendly country on the planet. Local and national government and the industry have connived to force us unnecessarily into overpriced CPs (how can a concrete pad be charged at £20+ when a B&B with breakfast can be had for £45) and the reluctance of local councils to even provide adequate parking in so many areas is just arrogant pisstaking. Scotland has its attractions but it always seems to be raining up there which makes me wonder just what it would take to drown all the mozzies.

Have to agree totally, except for the bit underlined in Bold, you forgot Kim Jong Uns North Korean paradise. :eek:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Like others before I use the C&CC sites purely because they are cheaper when you travel solo and give an age concession out if high season. I am not happy about having to pay extra for a hard standing and have been advised by 1 site warden that if you book a grass pitch, which is cheaper, and they put you on a hard standing (primarily because of wet ground) then you only pay for what you booked. So guess what, I now book grass pitches. I'm not happy about the new 'shoulder' price rate, or that I can't book a single night during the week at this time of year. Solution, CC got my money for a night prior to arriving at Malvern show.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
we didn't renew our membership either, even some of the CL prices are taking the P. Also they wanted me to pay extra for their magazine!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back