Camping and Caravan club or Caravan and Motorhome club? (1 Viewer)

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
We are finally getting around to joining one or the other (or both?) and would be interested in people's views.
Since the change of name for the old caravan club, I'm hearing lots of negatives about how this has upset many caravaners.
What we want is an informative, friendly club that will give us all the usual benefits.
What we don't want is to join a club where there's ' unofficial' snobbery and judging.
Views and experiences from all points of view much appreciated.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
At the moment we're members of both, we have been members of the CC, or CAMC as it's now known, for years as we previously owned a caravan. On the plus side you know exactly what you'll get when you arrive on site, they're pretty standard across the board, you'll have very clean facilities, the units will be spaced apart as regulation dictates and there will be a shop in reception which sells some would say 'essentials' but I would call it understocked. I've never been to a CC site that has a bar or restaurant, some of the affiliated sites do, so if you want to go out for a drink in the evening then you're going off site to find it. You will read various posts about the wardens being little Hitlers, I've personally only come across a couple that wound me up, the rest have been very helpful, not sure if it's just me but the site fees seem to be getting more expensive of late. I have found the CACC to be a bit more relaxed, not quite so strict on rules etc and it's quite nice to see some tents on site as well, the CC sites tend to be a sea of mostly caravans with a few motorhomes. We've only used a couple of the CACC sites and have found them ok and being honest I think we will use them more if possible, they are more like a campsite than a CC site, just my opinion though, I'm sure others will have a different view and the main criteria for any site we use is location, for us that's more important.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used to be members of both but dropped CC after the 1st year as never used any of their sites and only a couple of CLs. We also went on one weekend rally as there was one near Birmingham and we wanted to go to one of the shows.

We're still members of CCC and have been for many years. One of reasons is that you can just turn up at the weekend rallies & Temp Holiday Sites (THS) and don't have to book - actually this is the main reason we stay with them. Not using at the moment as we can't get away in MH as Joe has had an op on his wrist and isn't allowed to drive and I can't drive it (haven't got the right licence and have no plans to take another test at 65!).

Would suggest you join both for a year and then make a decision about which is best for your circumstances.

Denise

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
I soooo love this site. Such speedy and useful responses.
Already looking likely we'll join both as we'll then have everything covered. I also forgot to mention that more often than not we'll be using adult only sites as holidays for me are to escape children. However, should we ever have grandchildren, this could no doubt change

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Already looking likely we'll join both as we'll then have everything covered. I also forgot to mention that more often than not we'll be using adult only sites as holidays for me are to escape children. However, should we ever have grandchildren, this could no doubt change

The CAMC don't do adult only on the mainstream sites, there are some adult only CACC sites in the directory though (y)

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
T
We are finally getting around to joining one or the other (or both?) and would be interested in people's views.
Since the change of name for the old caravan club, I'm hearing lots of negatives about how this has upset many caravaners.
What we want is an informative, friendly club that will give us all the usual benefits.
What we don't want is to join a club where there's ' unofficial' snobbery and judging.
Views and experiences from all points of view much appreciated.

These questions have been asked many times before and usually get quite varied answers.We have been in both for many years now but now only really use the C&MC .we have just arrived on one of their sites today,Tredegar House nr.Cardiff,lovely site.We have visited many of their sites over the years and can honestly say ,never had a problem or come across a bad warden .We love their sites not the cheapest we know but always good quality.some will say different but that's what we have found.The network of CL,s that they have is excellent.
We use the C&CC for Arrival ,which is their breakdown scheme operated through the RAC.
That's about it really,both have their benefits,it's what works for you really . Enjoy
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Personly even though we are members of ccc I wouldn't bother with either till you have had a go without them, we hardly ever use anything to do with them, and like you just joined on a whim when we started, wish we had known about this site then, and would have saved £300.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
Personly even though we are members of ccc I wouldn't bother with either till you have had a go without them, we hardly ever use anything to do with them, and like you just joined on a whim when we started, wish we had known about this site then, and would have saved £300.
There is something to be said for that as with regard to info, I'm not sure we'd learn half as much as we do on here. However, Hubby reckons for insurance, ferry discount, RAC cover and shop discounts etc. it's probably worth it. Might also make us step out of our comfort zone and go to some meets and more remote sites.

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We are members of both and saved well in excess of the membership fees in discounts on various things including travel and insurance.
Tend to stay at CMC sites more often but only because to date they have been located in areas we wanted to visit and expect that we will use more C&CC sites as time goes on.
The CL/CS network is great and The National Trust have a number of CL's which are in amazing locations and value for money.

However, you will get as many different opinions as you will get answers.
For what they cost, I suggest you join both for a year or two and make your own mind up. (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're members of the CCC purely because CS owners seem to be a lot stricter on checking memberships than CL owners. :whistle:

Would never consider using a site operated by either company so if it wasn't for CS access it would be neither.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were in both up till end of April. Didn't use it at all while away wintering abroad. Back now and haven't renewed.still with the motorcravanclub though. Going to use them a but more this time and think of joining the c&cc club for the THS. I hate booking and you Don't have to with them.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It depends on your needs. We joined CC (or as it must now be called CAMC) purely because we wanted to take our daughter to Longleat and use the site there.

Since joining we have made use of the club offers and used CL's. Biggest Wow for us was the discount on the M6 toll road! We were amazed it was so easy!

Wife is keen to join the CC&C, since they have a lot of sites where we want to go, so we may lapse CAMC and join CC&C this year. Haven't decided yet.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
C&CC membership for us, but this is only because we use Camping in the Forest sites and get the discount.(y)

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We are in both the CAMC & C&CC we use a lot of CL's & CS's in UK.
We also use a few Clubsites when they offer the midweek discount and we feel like a bit of 'luxury'.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We are in both, as it gives access to both the CL and CS networks.

Discounts through CMC can be very useful, M6 toll has been mentioned but also if you are looking to buy a new Volvo, Mercedes or Suzuki* there are some good partner discounts available.

We have used C&CC European tours too, which we like but appreciate they aren't everyone's taste.( in fact we are off on the Northern zitaly tour this Thursday)

* other car makes might also be available at discount through CMC but I've not looked. I think you have to join to see the full discounts as I had to log in before I could access the Volvo partner page in any detail)

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We've just joined the c&cc club to access the THS this summer. We've been in the cc to b but they don't do the THS.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
A
And for me as I get discount for being an old git and a solo motorhomer. .
On a slightly different tack.I am currently at totnes ,on the CAMC site at steamer quay .and can understand the reasons behind the name change . 2 caravans on site and ...13 motorhomes. Lol.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
....we'll be using adult only sites as holidays for me are to escape children.

Just guessing from that info that you may be involved in education and obliged to holiday when the schools are off. Be aware that in both clubs the sites become booked up long way ahead so the online 'Pitch Availability' facility is useful when planning a trip in high season.
Don't be put off by the changes at the CAMC. The logo and website 'upgrades' have generated some indignant harrumphing by the club's old guard but the sites are plentiful and the facilities very good. That said, I only use the CL's nowadays and never use the club's immaculate sites where the nicely parked units remind me of LEGO bricks laid out on a play table by a kiddy with OCD. Plus the plethora of signs, whitewashed kerb stones and curtain twitching by chortling experts when I drive orff without disconnecting the electrical cable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
All comments have been very useful and weighing everything up, including the discounts available, we're going to join both. Good guess Spriddler
Just guessing from that info that you may be involved in education and obliged to holiday when the schools are off. Be aware that in both clubs the sites become booked up long way
love my job as a Headteacher (most of the time!) but equally, not looking for a busmans holiday so the pitch availability will come in very handy.
Many thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie

We booked mainly Adult only sites last year and although they were kept beautifully they lacked any atmosphere (for us anyway)we have older teenagers and didn't want a site with children, but we were not ready to go in at 7pm to sit and watch TV which sadly is what everyone did, in the height of the season we were the only ones sitting outside enjoying the camping lifestyle. We enjoyed the mixed sites much more as it was lovely to see people of all ages enjoying the outdoor life. although we were lucky and never had any noisey children near us. Also they all seemed to be isolated and a long way from pubs etc .
This is only my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We are now members of both, mainly to give us the greatest choice of places to stay. Although not a great fan of the main club sites due to the pitches on some being closer together than I would like, a number of them are well placed for places we want to see (going to Sandringham in another weeks time). These also have the advantage of hard standings which SWMBO insists on when the weather is dodgy and there are nice ones in both clubs and as has been mentioned, you will often see more motorhomes than caravans these days.
As you are presumably treating these trips as holidays you will be less bothered about the prices than many people on here :whistle:
Having joined the CaCC this year I have discovered the advantages of the THS's - if you go to the ones without facilities you probably won't find many children there (I'm sure someone else could confirm that or otherwise).

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Are members of both just for the cl and cs sites .Have been on both clubs main sites as well if in dire straights as in money for nothing and chicks for free.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back