Campervan vs Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

LBUK

Free Member
Apr 22, 2018
Funster No
Hello,

I’m looking for advice from the other side of the fence. I want a campervan.

The thing is that I have access to a family owned huge motorhome. It’s got everything, even a little garage.

Every time I suggest buying a campervan I’m challenged on why I want one. I’m thinking simplicity, mobility, views, access all areas, lack of maintenance...

Each and every time i’m met with “well, that is what the motorhome is like” but i don’t believe them!

“I want to be able to park anywhere” “You can”
“I want to be in the wilderness” “You can”
“I want to be able to go into the towns” “You can”
“I want to be able to get home and forget about it” “You can after a quick loo change”

I’m sure that there are perks to a motorhome, but are they equal in terms of freedom and simplicity as a campervan?

Thanks

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hello,

The thing is that I have access to a family owned huge motorhome. It’s got everything, even a little garage.

Every time I suggest buying a campervan I’m challenged on why I want one. I’m thinking simplicity, mobility, views, access all areas, lack of maintenance...

Each and every time i’m met with “well, that is what the motorhome is like” but i don’t believe them!

“I want to be able to get home and forget about it” “You can after a quick loo change”

I’m sure that there are perks to a motorhome, but are they equal in terms of freedom and simplicity as a campervan?

Thanks

Welcome to the group.

What make & model is the family owned vehicle that you have access to?

Mhomes vs campers - not equal. For flexibility, ease and freedom, campervan - easier to get into smaller places etc. For comfort, motorhome.

IMHO, it depends on what type of camping you want to do, where you want to go, how many people will travel with you and how much competition there will be for the family-owned MH - will others want to use it when you will want to?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years

In a word, yes.

Edit.
I really should qualify that, motorhomes have more space. We met a couple a few years ago in Mallaig and got talking in a cafe. They were in a campervan. The girl asked me if we could actually walk around in or motorhome. When I said yes she nearly burst into tears. Bet they've got a motorhome now. We need more space than a campervan can offer, otherwise they are the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It all depends on what you want to do and have in a van ? A panel van can have a loo and shower,cooker etc and basically get you to most places a camper van would get you to with probably the exception of height barrier...Panel van conversion PVC have everything you would find in a MH ....Camper van is what I consider to be a day van without hot water and shower and a porta potty
Terry

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Its horses for courses. I guess a lot would depend on what type of campervan you buy and what you want to use it for.

We have a large motorhome for the following reasons... We like to be comfortable and travel all year round so need a winterised vehicle with room enough to be inside when in alpine regions. We also have a dog. We carry a lot of things in the garage... trailer for the dog, fly fishing equipment, skis and associated boots and clothing, electric bikes x 2, twin tub washing machine, etc, etc.. It isn't easy to park in towns and cities but we don't do either so it doesn't matter to us.

We can go into the wilderness. We like to be off grid and so have solar and large black/grey and fresh water tanks as well as a large fuel tank.

We get home clean it out and forget it.

We find it suits us very well and now we're retired we hope to spend most of the year in it.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Depending on how 'huge' the family motorhome is the one thing you will need is a C1 licence if the vehicle is over 3500Kg.
We had a caravan before we retired,changed to a MH after spending three months touring New Zealand following retirement,would we go back to a caravan.....no! Caravans for staying on sites,MHs for independence.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello and welcome to this fine place.
Yes,you have a difficult decision to make....but very nice to have that choice. You are lucky,or fortunate,to have access to a motorhome.
Have you ever used it? If not,go away in it for a few days,see how you get on.
Have you ever been in a camper van? If not,get in one,see how you get on. You could hire one first.
I am very tall,so I felt very cramped when I was looking at smaller motorhomes,let alone campervans. Others find them fantastic...you can go fast and you can park just about anywhere,particularly useful in old towns with tiny streets.
But,when I’ve been out walking and come back to my motorhome,I can stretch out on the very comfortable fixed bed,then eat my lunch at a nice table,before I lie on the bench seats for a snooze. I have enough space.
Of course,the other thing is that if you get a camper van it will be yours. You have achieved something in that you have decided on what to buy and used your own money to buy it. If you use the motorhome,I assume you will be borrowing it,maybe. Others may want it at the same time as you? What about when it goes wrong when you are using it,,,who pays? Who decides how it’s looked after? So many questions!
There is an old saying........Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. I think this comes from the fact you can tell the age of a horse from its teeth! Well,don’t give up the chance of using the motorhome....then if you don’t like it you can get the campervan.
Good luck,let us know how you get on!

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I guess it really depends on what you consider to be a campervan & a motorhome

If you are looking at a smallish van - like a VW T5 perhaps with an elevating roof then IMO that is OK for weekends and the occasional longer trip but not very comfortable or convenient to be in for any length of time but on the plus side it can go most places a car can go - car parks with height barriers etc.

Then there is the comfortable "classic style" motorhome (A class or Coachbuilt) mostly starting about 6.5 m long nearly 3 m high and up to 8.5 m long ans maybe a tad over 3 m high these are probably the most popular ones - not too big but certainly not small and too high to get under most height barriers

In between there is the PVC (panel van conversion) - 5 to 6 m long quite high so height barriers a problem but fairly comfortable often with toilet & shower

Lastly there is the American style RV - much bigger - more like a small house on wheels - a bit restricted in where it can go due to its size but very comfortable and good for full timing for a family.

Take your pick - plenty to choose from! :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hello,

Thanks
We've had motorhomes of all sizes and 2 campervans (fully equipped) so from experience know how nice it is to have a large MH for all the on-board space but also how nice it is to have a smaller campervan to get to all the places we want to visit.

A large MH cannot 'park anywhere' ... even a campervan can't but you are much more likely to find space for it.

As for being truly in the wilderness, this often means going down narrow twisty roads, or places with lower tree branches etc which you simply will not get a MH down to without damaging it.

Going into towns, you'll find driving a campervan which is usually narrower than a MH easier certainly and if a MH is a long one that can bring it's own problems/issues so yes it would be easier with a campervan.

As for forgetting about it ... not quite sure what that means as both a campervan and MH need the loo and possibly the water tanks emptying, fridge stuff removing as well as your kit etc being taken out so nothing much between them there.

At the end of the day if it is what YOU desire and YOU have the funds then do what YOU want!

If you're dependent on others to 'fund' your dream though you're gonna have to persuade them by showing the places you want to go and why only a campervan etc will suit.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had a VW T4 pop-top campervan and a fixed top Romahome (travelling solo) for ten years but it was rather cramped/claustrophobic in several day of bad weather, and without a 'bathroom' in which to hang wet outdoor clothes they were a pain as everywhere had a damp feeling. With one or two sprogs ....(wet coats, wellies....) bad weather could be a 'challenge' in a campervan. The pop-top had canvas sides which meant that it could be noisy up there (from late night revellers/snorers in nearby tents, generators and traffic etc.) when trying to sleep. If the weather's largely fine and most time was spent outdoors another campervan would be a possibility. With many m/h you have a better chance of putting the zorsted sprogs to bed and having a 'grown up' evening.
When the campervan went in place of the motorhome I *had* to run a car. Fortunately I can park both in my drive otherwise there'd be a cost for m/h storage. A campervan is generally more frugal on fuel. Not a significant difference in ferry costs though between the c/van and m/h when going abroad for say, two weeks.
The nice thing about the campervan was that even when driving it to work I had 'holiday' vibes :D
I also feel that you'll have to give the m/h a go and see how you get on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Having had a VW T4 campervan with an elevating roof for 10 years and travelled two up extensively in Europe for up to 3 weeks at a time I would say if you want a campervan, just go for it. VWs that have been looked after, with the right conversion, hold their value well and are easy to sell on so you have little to lose by trying it first to see if it suits you. It will teach you a lot and is a great starter for motorhoming.

Mine would park in a standard 2.4m x 4.8m car parking space, and go under 2m height barriers, so there were few limits on where it could go although it was just too wide for minor roads with a 6' 6" width restriction. 40mpg was another advantage. :)

VW campers are super cool. :cool:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Leaving aside how you get access to the family MH and its maintenance and just concentrating on the aspects of what you can do in and where you can go in both a campervan and a motorhome.

Let us look first at the places you can go. Yes a VW T5 type campervan can fit into a car space for parking so can go into city/town centres and under height barriers (not sure if the raising roof, even if retracted does not exceed the 2m). There are also a few bridges that it, but not a MH, could negotiate, but very few. They can also negotiate 2m width restrictions, mostly in towns.

Looking at the average MH of 5.5m to 7m length 2.3m wide and up to 3m height, then except for the above they can go anywhere the campervan can go, including most S/Market CPs, wildcamping spots, campsites, Aires/Stellplatz etc.

The MH gives you space, fixed bed possibility, space and weight allowance to carry recreational gear - push-bike, scooter, kayak etc. More water, gas etc. for independence of wildcamping.

A point worth making is that the advantages of the MH is that those advantages are available every day on the road. The advantages of the campervan are only relevant on a few days of touring and the disadvantages are there every day - maling up bed, limited ablution/toilet options etc.

As has been said it depends on what you want to do with either, but when you decide on that then add up the days where you get the advantages and the days you get the disadvantages. That calculation might give you the answer.

Only you know about family arrangements for sharing, and/or cost of buying - we could not possibly comment.

My last comment is purely personal. Even a a single person when I bought my first, and currently our 7m MH, I decided it was the size for comfotable living but not too big for handling/parking. I still feel that, and would be reluctant to even go down to 6m, unless I had to for losing over 3.5t licence.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Speedydux

I was surprised by your comment about a VW T4 being too wide for 6' 6" width restrictions.

I drove VW T4 and T5 Caravelles all over England for 7 years and we never had a problem with width restrictions.

Only time was in Chelsea where there is one restriction where the posts are higher than the wing mirrors, which is not normally the case.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As has been said it depends on what you want to do with either, but when you decide on that then add up the days where you get the advantages and the days you get the disadvantages. That calculation might give you the answer.

Very good suggestion. Horses for courses, (since we don't know the OP's courses).

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You will have noted, reading the above threads, that 'campervan' is quite a loose term.

Some are little more than 'people carriers', converted so seats go flat to sleep on, a small stove and possibly a small fridge built in. There may or may not be space for a portable loo to be stored? At the other extreme, bigger campers are based on high-top panel van conversions (PVCs), which can have almost the same amount of kit on board as a full size motorhome, but just shoe-horned into a much smaller space. So a bathroom with fixed toilet, shower and wash basin, a larger fridge, kitchen with cooker, oven and sink, proper full-time beds etc.

Obviously, the living space in a camper van will be either MUCH, or a little less, than you would have in the average wide-bodies coachbuilt motorhome. But a key difference is the camper/PVC will be approximately a foot narrower than most coachbuilts. It may not sound a lot, but it can make a very significant contribution to relaxed driving on narrow roads, enhanced driving speed and easier parking.

I don't think you mentioned if you'd be travelling alone or with company? That will make a big difference as to what might be suitable.

If you can afford it, I'd buy your own camper, then you can use it when you want and generally be in full control of it.

Have fun whatever you decide...! (y)

PS We've previously owned two full-width coachbuilt morohomes, but now have a 6.4m long PVC (and love it ;)).

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Had campers over the years but now have a PVC it's a bit bigger than the Bongo I used to have, but can still fit into a parking space, though it is slightly longer and the space has to be right. The height is a drawback, but not too much, and I now have a shower, toilet, heating, air con, fridge and oven, which I did not have in a camper, also hot water, the Bongo only had cold water and a kettle. Would not go back!!!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Speedydux

I was surprised by your comment about a VW T4 being too wide for 6' 6" width restrictions.

I drove VW T4 and T5 Caravelles all over England for 7 years and we never had a problem with width restrictions.

Only time was in Chelsea where there is one restriction where the posts are higher than the wing mirrors, which is not normally the case.

Geoff

Geoff, I had assumed that such restrictions applied to the overall width including mirrors, which is 2175mm.

The Prince Street Bridge in Bristol is one I avoided crossing because of the width restriction. I might have been over-cautious.

I forgot to mention that the T4 qualified for Classe 1 tolls in France, same as a car. :) Another advantage if you have limited holidays and want to reach your destination faster.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I started with a T5 having never camped/motorhomed before.

It was great for trips to the isle of man for the racing and as a daily driver

After a couple of years, I decided I wanted more space, but still my daily driver. I did extensive research and finished up with a Pug Boxer 5.5m long and 2.5m high. It works for me as it's still my daily driver and the only issue, size wise, I have had compared to the T5 was the height for car parks.

My T5 had no poptop, but If you bought a T5 with a poptop, then you would still have the similar issue with height in car parks as I have with my Pug. Also, for me, I would never contemplate staying in a tent and I consider a poptop a tent.

You already know what a bigger MH is like, as others have suggested, hire/borrow a camper van and try it out - if it works for you, fine - buy one!
On the other hand if you need a bit more space have a look at Panel Van Conversions (PVCs) at which point I would suggest going to a show & having a good look at the type of thing available.

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We started with a VW T2 and loved that van, then upgraded to a T5, fantastic van, great as a daily driver, but a compromise when “camping”.

Now we have a PVC, the biggest difference is pull up and cook/go to bed or sit outside with a G&T. Campervans need converting to the appropriate mode, which takes time, both in terms of setting up and putting away.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@LBUK what type of campervan you are interested in? How are you intending to use it? For how long etc ... once we know we can give more appropriate comments.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Geoff, I had assumed that such restrictions applied to the overall width including mirrors, which is 2175mm.

The Prince Street Bridge in Bristol is one I avoided crossing because of the width restriction. I might have been over-cautious.

I forgot to mention that the T4 qualified for Classe 1 tolls in France, same as a car. :) Another advantage if you have limited holidays and want to reach your destination faster.

From my observation in the UK there are 3 types of signs for width restrictions.

1 Those with two inward pointing arrows with 6' 6" written between them - which I believe indicates there are physical barriers/posts, but these are to control body widths, not mirrors.[Except for that odd one in Chelsea I quoted]

2 Signs with the measurements but no arrows - I think these are advisory without any barriers/posts

3 Signs that give the dimensions but say 'Except for Access' - so obviously larger vehicles can get through but the local council/residents do not want trucks down that road. These I ignore in a MH just over 3.5t.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Transit

Free Member
Jan 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
ford transit custom 2017
Exp
I hope our retriever will cope with our soon to be converted SWB Ford Custom :pray:

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
When we started looking we liked the idea of a T5 fixed high roof ... the big advantage being ease of driving/parking and a good sized lounge. The deal breaker was the lack of loo. We ended up buying a PVC ... less space in front ‘lounge’ but a separate loo and fixed bed.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just a warning that the OP didn't come back after asking the question in April last year.

Martin

Which translates as 'We all wasted our time replying, so don't waste any more'

Geoff

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Perhaps the format should be changed. @Jim should bombard them with emails until they come back and join in. Lot of people spend a lot of time answering these questions for nothing. Ok someone in the future may benefit but then instead of doing a search they just ask the same question that has been addressed numerous times. How many threads have there been about gassing. If people bothered to do a search they would find loads of info about this very topic including how to claim for Rolex Watches and Diamond Tiaras.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The original post is above 4 yrs old :D.....people often forget to leave conclusion posts....:(
New members often don't know how to use search effectively so it's easier to ask a question which will generate a answer(y) Indeed if everyone simply did a search we would probably have very few new posts and the forum would not be what it is :D2

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We had a massive 3 axle frankia for years, great for 4 people with loads of space, but there are compromises when you are big. We now have a large campervan and love the benefits of the smaller size and because its a metal van.

Camper vans can have all the facilities of a motorhome these days

Panel van conversions / Campervans

Benefits over coach builts

1, Less maintenance as no seams and joints
2, Easier to drive, especially on narrow country roads or through busy towns
3, Easier to fit in a parking space
4, Blends in more if wild camping
5, Safer in a crash
6, Better fuel economy
7, Faster to heat up
8, Easier to clean
9, Choice of colours
10, Easier to ventilate, with large sliding door and rear doors
11, Can be used more as a day van for day trips
12, Can be used as a daily drive
13, Doubles as a van with wide opening rear doors for getting wider items in
14, Easier to find a garage for servicing /MOT
15, Better view through wide sliding door or open rear doors when parked at a scenic location
16, Cost slightly less to buy, (Usually)

Negatives against Coach builts

1, Less space

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back