Campervan used as an everyday car (1 Viewer)

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Started 2012, 1st Burstner Ixeo it720, 2nd Carthago C-Tourer i150:)
My wife and I have just put an order in for a Globecar 540 Summit Prime, having just sold our main car:) The new vehicle will become our main car and we have nicknamed it our “Covidcar” in these unusual times. We can now travel around the UK and be self sufficient and safe from having to use public toilets, etc:) Also Happy Father’s Day to those in the conversation:)

Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
The ubiquitous VW T5 (or T6) campervans are a good compromise between car & camper

However as you are used to a more 'home from home' motorhome, may I suggest you hire a small campervan first to check it's suitability (sorry if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs)

As soon as I decided to upgrade from a T5 to a bigger van, the T5 suddenly became the Smallest van in the World 🙂
I agree with this, I used our T5 LWB camper as my everyday vehicle, never a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
The Globecar looks great, just googled it. My only worry is we wouldn't use our bigger motorhome as this seems to have everything we need. The VWs are lovely too. Think I was going for the Alphard hybrid because of price and it looks like a car. Also we wouldn't be tempted to use it for long trips. The bongos are nice as well I am trying to persuade my daughter to look at bongos over VWs for price.

If I was rich I would have a variety of vehicles to choose from :ROFLMAO:

Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have an every day car, a Bongo and a PVC. I intended to keep the Bongo overnight trips etc but haven't used it for that over the last 5 yrs or so; the PVC is so easy to use and it is a faff having to load up camping stuff for a night or two in the Bongo when we have everything ready in PVC. I use the load carrying capacity of the Bongo quite often, hence we have kept it. The fuel efficiency of the PVC and Bongo are similar (26mpg); half that of the car. Most Bongos would not be permitted in cities where there are emission restriction.

Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Spidey - good to see you posting again :hi: Do like the idea of having a car that can accommodate the odd overnight stop - these seem to be very popular plug in option https://campal.co.uk/ here & overseas from £1350 (plus £80 UK delivery) for two bed in various designs for a wide range of cars & can be made to order too :

View attachment 399654
We have just bought a Citroën Berlingo complete with Amdro boot jump. We had a Autosleeper Symbol before but needed extra seats, an everyday vehicle and one to transport large items. We have this in this vehicle. Obviously we have to get used to there being no standing room, but for three vehicles in one, there has to be some compromise.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_121657.jpg
    IMG_20200530_121657.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi.
We have had both a Hymer Tramp (6.5m fixed bed ) and a pop top Toyota Granvia for a few years now. Pop top goes all around UK and shopping (2.1m tall) and once to southern Spain for the winter. Hymer goes to beer festivals and Spain a few times. Fantastic combination.
Cheers Andrew

Thanks will have a look at the Granvia, like the idea of going to places in the UK that I wouldn't take my Hymer Tramp mine is 7m. Great vans :giggle:

If the height is not a problem you will find a VW T5 of ours advertised in the Classifieds on this forum. Broken Link Removed

We use our camper as everyday transport and where we live height of vehicle to access all of the town's services that we need is never a problem but I do understand that some towns are not like that.

Lovely looking van, a bit more than we wanted to spend, trying to persuade hubby that we could find a decent small camper for about £16K that looks like a car.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I agree with this, I used our T5 LWB camper as my everyday vehicle, never a problem.

I needed more space, so I chopped mine for a Peugeot Boxer L2H2 5.5m long, had it converted by a local company and use it as my daily drive

Height can be a problem in some car parks, but length isn't

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
The ubiquitous VW T5 (or T6) campervans are a good compromise between car & camper

However as you are used to a more 'home from home' motorhome, may I suggest you hire a small campervan first to check it's suitability (sorry if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs)

As soon as I decided to upgrade from a T5 to a bigger van, the T5 suddenly became the Smallest van in the World 🙂
Watch out for height barriers with any pop-ups though. Something to consider if going down the "campervan-as-car " route.

Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
Watch out for height barriers with any pop-ups though. Something to consider if going down the "campervan-as-car " route.
Yes, they're appearing everywhere now, I think it's to stop 'travellers'

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Hi all,
We went to view our new Globecar summit prime 540 at SMC. We were very disappointed with the build, nothing like the standard of the Roadscout! Although they are both Globecars, they are made at two different factories. They were so, so different in build standard that one could be mistaken that the two factories are completely different companies.
The good news was that we could amend our agreement, so we bought the Roadscout R 540 Elegance instead. Pick it up on Friday:)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all,
We went to view our new Globecar summit prime 540 at SMC. We were very disappointed with the build, nothing like the standard of the Roadscout! Although they are both Globecars, they are made at two different factories. They were so, so different in build standard that one could be mistaken that the two factories are completely different companies.
The good news was that we could amend our agreement, so we bought the Roadscout R 540 Elegance instead. Pick it up on Friday:)
This seems to be a common theme ... @Blueknight no longer posts here but he bought a Summit and was deeply disappointed. It was a shame as the Globecars and Pössl vans that come out of the other factory are highly regarded. A 5.4m would be an excellent choice bar the fact it will have the height problem for car parks (though, in reality I use very few car parks with height barrier in my car).

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Hi Grianan:)
We now realise that one group of Globecars are under the D-Line brand and the other is H-Line. The Summit Prime is part of the H-Line. Our Roadscout is a D-Line. I guess the D may stand for Dethleff, as it is they who build them. The H stands for ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We now realise that one group of Globecars are under the D-Line brand and the other is H-Line. The Summit Prime is part of the H-Line. Our Roadscout is a D-Line. I guess the D may stand for Dethleff, as it is they who build them. The H stands for ?
Hopeless ... or hapless!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

I used to know but have forgotten! Here you are ...

We looked at a summit at a show but weren’t as keen so bought our Campscout.
I think I’d look at buying a Pössl next time (from D line) as the interiors are a bit more modern ... but n plans to change at the moment ...

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Thanks for your replies:)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We have a lovely hymer motorhome which we want to keep and is perfect for our holidays. It is now just the two of us and we thought about exchanging our everyday car for a small camper. This we could use as a day out camper or a quick weekend away etc. Looking at the Toyota Alphard hybrid. Does anyone have a bigger motorhome and a small camper? Can't see any pitfalls as it is the size of a car and will still have 4 belted seats. I love the idea of a car not just being a car. We are both just retired early so will get to use both loads.
We have a Hymer Ayers Rock and absolutely love it, it has a metal roof not a pop top, it’s only 5.4 metres long can park it easily on our drive, and enough head room to stand. Something like a VW Transporter you need to consider just how much of a compromise they are particularly if your down sizing.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
To give a little balance of views here - we looked for a couple of years at makes & models of van conversions & chose the Globecar/Possl Summit (the only difference between the two is the decals) for layout & design, build quality & value for money & we are happy with ours as are a lot of owners that we know :smiley: We also looked at converting a new van ourselves to the same spec. but it would have cost more than to buy it already done. We follow several overseas owners & motorhoming groups as well as those in the UK & compared to other brands the problems are normally minor & usually to do with the parts from other manufacturers like Dometic which are standard in many motorhomes.
For info. the D Lines have always been manufactured on one & now on several of the production lines in the Dethleffs factory whereas the H Lines were originally manufactured on a smaller scale as premium models by a smaller company who specialized in cabinetry. To meet the high demand for the H Lines & especially the award winning Summit they built their own new factory in Vielbrunn for this & our Summit was built there.
There is a wait time of over a year for factory orders for their discerning German customers & the van conversion market is very competitive on the continent so they must be doing something right!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back