Campervan used as an everyday car (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have a lovely hymer motorhome which we want to keep and is perfect for our holidays. It is now just the two of us and we thought about exchanging our everyday car for a small camper. This we could use as a day out camper or a quick weekend away etc. Looking at the Toyota Alphard hybrid. Does anyone have a bigger motorhome and a small camper? Can't see any pitfalls as it is the size of a car and will still have 4 belted seats. I love the idea of a car not just being a car. We are both just retired early so will get to use both loads.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi Spidey - good to see you posting again :hi: Do like the idea of having a car that can accommodate the odd overnight stop - these seem to be very popular plug in option https://campal.co.uk/ here & overseas from ÂŁ1350 (plus ÂŁ80 UK delivery) for two bed in various designs for a wide range of cars & can be made to order too :

1592492613269.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi Spidey - good to see you posting again :hi: Do like the idea of having a car that can accommodate the odd overnight stop - these seem to be very popular plug in option https://campal.co.uk/ here & overseas from ÂŁ1350 (plus ÂŁ80 UK delivery) for two bed in various designs for a wide range of cars & can be made to order too :

View attachment 399654
Hi Wombles, thanks glad to be back, not sure why I stopped posting I never stopped motorhoming. :giggle:
that looks an interesting design very ingenious. I will have a look. Now we have retired the car looks really boring! :LOL: want lots of days out (when we can of course over night as well). Also I worry about lots of cities not allowing us in with the big motorhome being diesel.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The ubiquitous VW T5 (or T6) campervans are a good compromise between car & camper

However as you are used to a more 'home from home' motorhome, may I suggest you hire a small campervan first to check it's suitability (sorry if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs)

As soon as I decided to upgrade from a T5 to a bigger van, the T5 suddenly became the Smallest van in the World 🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I cant see why you want 2 campers.

If you are going away for the night you take the camper
If you and not going away for the night you take the car

I think you would find the comfort level of a small camper (when compared to your motorhome) leaving a lot to be desired

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Use an estate with a mattress and free standing cooker. Go rough gets over the height problem

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think you would find the comfort level of a small camper (when compared to your motorhome) leaving a lot to be desired

I have 2 campers, 1 for extended trips the other as a runabout.

20171015_132905_resized_1.jpg

The Eriba is a bit 'old school' but has exactly the same facilities as the A class except for a made up bed - and living space.

Shame they don't make a modern version

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We used to have a Honda spacewagon pop top, full side kitchen, rock n roll bed. Would be ideal for the odd quickie night away.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014

This is our big question, but with so many cities thinking of turning away from diesel. Also just find having a car a bit of a waste when you could have a car and camper. :giggle:

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
No I didn't mean height in that way... :giggle:
I meant that even a small camper might not be able to access places that cars can get into because of barriers and/or ceiling in multi storey car parks...
:LOL: sorry yes that is another reason to get one.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
VW Caddy, there's a camping version, smaller brother of the T5

Deleted User
No I didn't mean height in that way... :giggle:
I meant that even a small camper might not be able to access places that cars can get into because of barriers and/or ceiling in multi storey car parks...

A lot of campers with pop tops are under 2m, daughter has a Toyota Hiace with a pop top and gets under many car park barriers in France and can find nice places to overnight when the nice Aires are full.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

The Caddy takes up almost as much space on the outside as the T5 / T6 so it doesn't offer much advantage for ease of parking but will be more cramped inside. Probably why there are very few Caddy conversions.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
A lot of campers with pop tops are under 2m, daughter has a Toyota Hiace with a pop top and gets under many car park barriers in France and can find nice places to overnight when the nice Aires are full.
...but AFAIK the Toyota Alphard is 2.1m without a poptop - which could be problematic

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you still require a toilet and shower, then take a look at the 5.4m Globecar Roadscout R based on Fiat Ducato 5.4m van. Fixed rear bed across the rear and plenty of storage and you can park it in most standard spaces.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
We had one of those - got a caddy kitted out by Simon and Gemma in Wrexham. It even had a potty we never used. sold it to get a T5 - sold that to get a pvc Motorhome. But the caddy was a lovely drive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I have a fiat high top more a day van than a motorhome, Only problem has been height barriers on some car parks, mine is an ex mobility vehicle and it does go under the majority of barriers at car parks. Have in the past had a romahome only downside again was height barriers Believe the Alphard is fuel heavy.

well I have both, replaced my car with a doblo day van, sleeps two but also only has 2 seat belts. It has much better fuel economy than the motorhome. like to visit family and friends and sometimes end up having a stopover, like my own space for that. Big motivator was a friend in a nursing home, too far realistically for a day visit and the homes and local hoetels nightly charges were OTT there is a campsite a couple of miles away a CL on a farm and the road is not one I would want to take a 7+M van on, although i have done in the past. Means too that one of us can use the big van when the other also has a meet they want to attend, that is getting away from the OP though apologies.
Would I have the doblo as the only vehicle for a couple? No
Friends had a California but no loo and shower. I have never wanted a VW although a coachbuilt on a VW base would be acceptable :winky:
Spidey fully understand how you feel hope you find something suitable. I do have a thetford fr the doblo but have yet to alter the inside to fit it. Not able to get it in our garage and no drive otherwise would have been fettled during lockdown.

So many on here have 2 or more motorbikes so why not motorhomes/campers.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We had a Bongo for years,I would have one now but they're too old, shame because it was a great van to drive and a good camper too.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
You mean it's possible to have only one motorbike? How? Why? 🙂
sometimes happens because mr magpie has so much crap sorry useful stuff in the garage he struggles to get more than the car 5 pedal cycles and 1 motorbike in.

Nov 21, 2010
Newark
Funster No
MH
hightop camper
Exp
15 years
We have a lovely hymer motorhome which we want to keep and is perfect for our holidays. It is now just the two of us and we thought about exchanging our everyday car for a small camper. This we could use as a day out camper or a quick weekend away etc. Looking at the Toyota Alphard hybrid. Does anyone have a bigger motorhome and a small camper? Can't see any pitfalls as it is the size of a car and will still have 4 belted seats. I love the idea of a car not just being a car. We are both just retired early so will get to use both loads.
Hi.
We have had both a Hymer Tramp (6.5m fixed bed ) and a pop top Toyota Granvia for a few years now. Pop top goes all around UK and shopping (2.1m tall) and once to southern Spain for the winter. Hymer goes to beer festivals and Spain a few times. Fantastic combination.
Cheers Andrew

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
If the height is not a problem you will find a VW T5 of ours advertised in the Classifieds on this forum. Broken Link Removed

We use our camper as everyday transport and where we live height of vehicle to access all of the town's services that we need is never a problem but I do understand that some towns are not like that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back