Campervan speed restrictions? (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Checking on the government website coach built Motorhomes under 3.05 tonnes unladen speed limits are the same as cars. But over 3.05 tonnes have the reduced speed restrictions.

But interestingly is that campervans. Panel vans. Have I read it correctly, campervans have speed restrictions? Unless under 2040kg

Dual-purpose van speed limit exemptions

There is another exemption to be aware of: dual-purpose vehicles under 2040kg don’t have to comply with the reduced speed limit.

What is a dual-purpose vehicle? Well, a campervan is a dual-purpose vehicle providing the V5C registration document says it is a 'motor caravan', but if it is a non-manufacturer conversion, it may not be classed as one and could still be registered as an LCV and therefore subject to their rules.

Kombi vans or double-cab vans are also dual-purpose. Their extra row of seats makes them exempt from the rules, providing they are below the 2040kg unladen weight rule.

Read last paragraph of the link below....

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
Question again is what is a Campervan and what is a motorhome? If this forum can’t agree, then not sure anyone knows 😀

My view is based on the Government‘s page on Speed Limits, and I assume the 2 tonne weight doesn’t apply as we drive “Motorhomes or Motor Caravans” (as you say, as long as we are recorded correctly by DVLC)

Deleted User
The DVLA use the term Motor Caravan rather than Motor Home or Campervan.

With regard to Panel Vans - if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans.

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

Therefore if a panel van is converted to meet the required internal features then the speed limits that apply are those applicable to a Motor caravan (taking weight limits into consideration).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Question again is what is a Campervan and what is a motorhome? If this forum can’t agree, then not sure anyone knows 😀

My view is based on the Government‘s page on Speed Limits, and I assume the 2 tonne weight doesn’t apply as we drive “Motorhomes or Motor Caravans” (as you say, as long as we are recorded correctly by DVLC)
Your very optimistic if you think this lot on here will agree :rofl:

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers AND goods! So your camper will not be a dual purpose vehicle unless adapted to carry goods or burden.

Definition: dual-purpose vehicle

a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg, and which either—
(i)

is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or
(ii)

satisfies the following conditions as to construction, namely—
(a)

the vehicle must be permanently fitted with a rigid roof, with or without a sliding panel;
(b)

the area of the vehicle to the rear of the driver's seat must—
(i)

be permanently fitted with at least one row of transverse seats (fixed or folding) for two or more passengers and those seats must be properly sprung or cushioned and provided with upholstered back-rests, attached either to the seats or to a side or the floor of the vehicle; and
(ii)

be lit on each side and at the rear by a window or windows of glass or other transparent material having an area or aggregate area of not less than 1850 square centimetres on each side and not less than 770 square centimetres at the rear; and
(c)

the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the row of transverse seats satisfying the requirements specified in head (i) of sub-paragraph (b) (or, if there is more than one such row of seats, the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the rearmost such row) must, when the seats are ready for use, be not less than one-third of the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the rearmost part of the floor of the vehicle.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Checking on the government website coach built Motorhomes under 3.05 tonnes unladen speed limits are the same as cars. But over 3.05 tonnes have the reduced speed restrictions.

But interestingly is that campervans. Panel vans. Have I read it correctly, campervans have speed restrictions? Unless under 2040kg

Dual-purpose van speed limit exemptions

There is another exemption to be aware of: dual-purpose vehicles under 2040kg don’t have to comply with the reduced speed limit.

What is a dual-purpose vehicle? Well, a campervan is a dual-purpose vehicle providing the V5C registration document says it is a 'motor caravan', but if it is a non-manufacturer conversion, it may not be classed as one and could still be registered as an LCV and therefore subject to their rules.

Kombi vans or double-cab vans are also dual-purpose. Their extra row of seats makes them exempt from the rules, providing they are below the 2040kg unladen weight rule.

Read last paragraph of the link below....

Me thinks the author of the magazine article needs to spend more time on their homework!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Speed limits restrictions , strangely, are based on taxation class
So your “campervan” needs to be a “motor caravan” on your V5 to enjoy the higher speed allowance

If it is still registered as a van, then the lower limits apply

I’m not commenting on the sense behind this

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
So your “campervan” needs to be a “motor caravan” on your V5 to enjoy the higher speed allowance

Most recent conversions are coming back from DVLA as ‘van with windows’ so lower speed limits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User

Not correct, see my post #3
If your van is registered as a van with windows and meets the required internal features then Motor Caravan speed limits apply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back