Labowski

Free Member
Jan 16, 2019
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Hello, I wonder can anybody recommend camper van rental? Its difficult to justify buying a van at the moment and I wonder whether rental is a good option?

My wife and I have full driving licence's pre-1997

Thankyou for reading and any advice very welcome

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Depends what you want in terms of a motorhome, how long you want it for and how much you want to spend. As it happens I'm just in the process of starting a motorhome rental business, will be getting the first motorhome on 25th of Jan .

D.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yes, hiring would be just the thing for a short holiday to find out if this would suit you and your wife. A campervan is easy to drive. Then you might try something bigger with full onboard facilities.

If you intend to try a campervan trip to Europe for a couple of weeks you can hire them from companies over there and leave your car with them. LHD of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Almost all advisers will suggest hiring before buying because the initial cost is so high and there are so very many variables to consider.
You may find the vans layout does not suit your needs.
The van may be uncomfortable to drive after a few hours.
In fact a whole host of possibilities you had not considered and after your trial hire, you should have a far better idea of what you are looking for without loosing a shedload of money.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
we hired one from the actual owners of a motorhome. They try and offset some of their costs by renting it out through a 3rd party. You pay an insurance premium and a heavy excess but at least you get a motorhome that is usually cared for not just bought simply as a vehicle to hire out as a business. Sorry cannot remember the name but a google will find some. It is a bit like 'Owner Direct' in the villa market. You might try 'Motorhome Owners Direct' as a thought!

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Swift motorhomes have a large rental operation in Stockport with approx 70 no vans of all types and size. Swift have a bad press on here but for a tryout they maybe worth a look.
Swift go is company name.

Upvote 0

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Avoid National Motorhomes, really terrible company. Low initial quote and happy to take your deposit then the extras pile on after it’s too late to cancel. Ended up costing us nearly a grand for three nights out of season rental of a two year old Chausson Flash which had had a HARD life and then they took two months and a LOT of nagging to get over £200 of deposit back.

They have loads of reviews online suggesting that we weren’t a one off, our bad for not reading them up front.

Having said that, renting first was a great opportunity to really assess if we liked the whole MH thing and what sort of layout worked for us and ultimately led to us buying!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thankyou, I just found https://www.goboony.co.uk/campers/
some nice campers locally at very reasonable prices I just have to get the family onboard...
Yes thats the sort of thing. They look pretty good on-line, there was another here https://www.yescapa.co.uk
but there are loads more to choose from. Certainly our one and only experience was very positive and re assuring to actually meet and drive somebodies pride and joy rather hire from a normal vehicle hire. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We hired twice, both experiences were fine, before eventually purchasing our own motorhome last June. I would recommend anyone considering buying a motorhome to hire first. its a lot of money to spend if you find it doesn't suit you.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When considering our purchase we hired twice, the first a private owner through an agency (can't remember the name) which told us a lot about what we wanted in a motorhome. The second was from Abacus in the New Forest who hired out the exact model we had decided on and which confirmed our choice - which we still have nearly 10 years later.

But returning to the OP, it can often make economic sense, especially if you cannot use it for long periods, to hire rather than buy. They're not a cheap holiday but you don't get depreciation on a hire van.

However I'd suggest you forget about buying then hiring it out (you didn't say but it was probably in your mind) when you're not using it. You need to know exactly what you're doing and still have a high risk of losing out.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back