Campervan or Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Apologies if this is (a) a daft question or (b) already been done to death . . . :unsure:

In a couple of weeks we will take delivery of a 6 metre long panel van conversion (Devon Aztec).
Would you call it a large campervan or a small motorhome?

I know it's just semantics but it is bugging me!

:thanks3:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Next door calls ours "your caravan" but that is going a bit too far ..... I keep telling her it is a motorhome but it makes no difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Next door calls ours "your caravan" but that is going a bit too far ..... I keep telling her it is a motorhome but it makes no difference.

Thats what my lad does to me to try and wind me up :)

My neighbour calls it the camper van, I think of it as a motorhome as its got a toilet and shower :)

But I wouldn't get precious about it after all sticks and stones .......... :)

OP
OP
Head Gardener
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Thanks all; there's a bit of a problem calling it "the van" ... because we've also got a caravan which is, not surprisingly, known as "the van". But I did wonder what them wot know more than me would class it as?

I'm going to have to find a proper name for him/her/it. Isn't there another thread about that already going on this week? ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sometimes we call ours "the camper". Makes no odds what it is called at all - it's Slovenian and doesn't understand much English.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Apologies if this is (a) a daft question or (b) already been done to death . . . :unsure:

In a couple of weeks we will take delivery of a 6 metre long panel van conversion (Devon Aztec).
Would you call it a large campervan or a small motorhome?

I know it's just semantics but it is bugging me!

:thanks3:
Toilet & shower = motorhome
shitting in the woods & showering under a glorified plastic bag = campervan
(y)

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello @Head Gardener ,

The DVLA calls them all Motor Caravans.

It used to be the that a Panel Van Conversion (PVC) was a Campervan - i.e. a van converted for camping.

It used to be the that a Coachbuilt /RV was a Motorhome - i.e. a motor vehicle converted into a home.

Nowadays, modern Panel Van Conversions' are so much more than a campervan and so much more money.

It's what you consider it to be really; you paid for it.

regards,

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Winnebago with everything you could imagine as extras, was our campervan. Our VW with a porta potti and sink full of cold water was a campervan
When you go to France they are all camping cars.
Just call it what you like
Campervan, motorhome, motor caravan or camping car. The only difference is the word.

Deleted User
To fellow traveller it doesn't matter, to others campervan equals gateway to the great outdoors, a sense of freedom, wild unexplored places, a sense of adventure, excitement, a motorhome equals a converted horse box gathered around white pegs chatting about the weather while waiting to empty your toilet waste, just another form of caravan. We know it's not like that, however, say motorhome and you spend the rest of the conversation trying to justify yourself.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I try to go the French way & call them all Camping Cars, keep forgetting & saying motorhome!

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I always think of PVCs of whatever size as Campers or Campervans, as they still retain their original form. A motorhome to me is something built by a manufacturer on a chassis, looking like whatever they want it to look like (usually a gigantic item of white goods ;))

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Motorhome is a bit pretentious for us... ;) :D

I'm the same, but got told off at the Beadnell CCC site for saying ours was a campervan, (6.8m coach built) the warden said it affected the choice of pitch he would offer us, fair point I suppose.
On a different tack, a friend from work bought an Autotrail Dakota and in his best Hyacinth Bouquet accent, was telling us all in the pub about his new "mowter herme".
Old Willie came through to the bar a bit later and said "I hear you've been getting yourself a caravette Wally ?", the place erupted ! :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On a different tack, a friend from work bought an Autotrail Dakota and in his best Hyacinth Bouquet accent, was telling us all in the pub about his new "mowter herme".
Old Willie came through to the bar a bit later and said "I hear you've been getting yourself a caravette Wally ?", the place erupted ! :D

Caravanette? Surely it's a Dormobile!

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
Got the perfect answer from my (just) three year old grandson who is adamant that we have a camper-van motorhome ! But like some others we just call it "the van" .
P1030956.jpg

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
The van, Maggie after Jans mum, 55 after my pension what paid for it or Gin palace which goes on nightly. Lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back