Brisan

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hello there, we have been looking at campervans for our next move, we currently run a Dethleffs T6717 and although it is only just coming up to a year old, I am sure we are not alone in realising that perhaps the layout (being dinette and beds at the rear) although very nice is not quite as useful for us as perhaps dual zone areas with an up front area to have a coffee & snack and a u shaped lounge at the rear, anyway it is always interesting looking at what other layouts might offer. Also with a campervan we may have a better chance of getting it in our driveway therefore not needing to travel 40 minutes before we get to the storage compound. So far we have identified three camper vans two that are at the top end of the price scale and one which seems more mid range, or at least closer to what we paid for our Dethleffs, however it is so difficult to compare prices as the specifications are multi and different on each model. The two we think are at the top end ore the IH 630 RL/RD with fixed rear panel on a Fiat or the longer 680 CRL/RD on the VW Crafter, interestingly the longer one has slightly shorter beds but I think the washroom is larger, although not sure the trade off in length is worth the extra. The second one is a Vantage NEO again on a Fiat and 6.36 long so shorter than the crafter, not sure you can get a fixed rear panel but that's not a deal breaker. The third is a Auto-Trail V-Line 635 sport which has the fixed rear panel also.

The following are areas that we have noted and if anyone has any comments or experience of any of these then please give us your thoughts:

1) The 630IH stores the dining table in the washroom, is that okay? seems a little odd even though there is a shower curtain.

2) The Vantage has a rather large sink in the washroom which looks to take up space when showering, anyone find this or is it okay?

Both the IH and the Auto-Trail have tip up sinks, do these work okay, our last experience was with a trailer tent many years ago and the tip up sink was not very good.

Comfort seating wise I think it is IH, Vantage then Auto-Trail, reliability or actual driving, no idea except ours is currently a Fiat based unit.

Any thoughts anyone?

I gotta have something to do in isolation!!!

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
We have an Auto Trail V Line 635SE, not the sport, although we have had the rear lounge turned into a U shaped seating but still have access via the rear doors.
We had a V Line 610 before the present 635 and were impressed with the build and value for money when compared with some of the makes and models you mention. The ability to use the swivelled cab seats as a second lounge area and being a more comfortable driving position led us to the 635.
The bathroom works well and the drop down sink is large enough to be practical, it’s neater and does not spill water all over the place like some fitted to more expensive vans. We have had a second drain fitted to the front area of the shower floor as it puddled there when using the shower, we do not like site facilities so we use the shower 90% of our time in the van.
Other bathroom mods consist of bars fitted to the front of the shelves behind the mirror doored cabinet and fiddles to the open shelves under the drop down sink, stops things falling out. Coat hook and towel ring swapped around and an additional towel ring added.
We prop the bathroom door open after showering and use the area in front of the door for ease drying and dressing, keep the wind screen blinds drawn though.
I often breakfast in the front as my wife does not like getting up as early as I, if touring we often leave the beds made up ( singles ) and use the front seats, we have a tv here as well as the rear lounge, power and tv points standard fit on the 635.
I hope the above information is of use.

BernieT

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
IH look the part and are well built but vastly lack proper insulation cold in winter very hot in summer check the fb site and a few corners cut on the newer models (has with everything accountants rule) had an iH so have experience not had the others

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brisan

Brisan

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for this information dipsie and timetochill its all very interesting and valuable what with the mods etc. My wife and I do use the shower in our motorhome because as she has had multiple knee operations she finds it easier to shower and dress within the van. I tried to get the information on IH on fb but it appeared that you needed to be in or join the IH owners club, unless I got it wrong, which quite possible so I will try again.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Have you looked at other manufacturers, the IH 680 is nearly 7 metres long so if you can fit that one on your drive you will fit all PVCs on from all manufacturers.

Take your time here and look at loads is my advice.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
We have a Benivan 120 - built in Grimsby. For 2 people it is excellent and very similar to an Autotrail.
You can set a table up by the front swivel seats or by the rear bench seats. The rear seats make up one’s bed a night. We didn’t find this a problem. In fact we loved being able to open the rear doors for meals during our 7 week trip through Spain.

OP
OP
Brisan

Brisan

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi CazPaul & Donnkim, thanks very much for your comments, we will look at further options, never heard of th Benivan one, trouble being down south when a lot of the manufacturers are up north. We have a long driveway but getting in to it could be more challenging with a longer vehicle as we have to reverse it off a main b road to ensure we can see pulling out again.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Thanks for this information dipsie and timetochill its all very interesting and valuable what with the mods etc. My wife and I do use the shower in our motorhome because as she has had multiple knee operations she finds it easier to shower and dress within the van. I tried to get the information on IH on fb but it appeared that you needed to be in or join the IH owners club, unless I got it wrong, which quite possible so I will try again.
You can join the iH fb site before you buy and sometimes have vans for sale

OP
OP
Brisan

Brisan

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi timetochill,
Yes I did that this afternoon and looked at a spat three subscribers were having, it was hilarious if not a little sad and showed the worst of social media, you know unnecessary sarcastic comments etc. However on the brighter side there was some normal? subscribers who did have some interesting comments and one that had a van for sale on a site called Motorhome Depo and looking at the site it looked good but again it has some negative comments from this site, its a bit confusing out there.
Communication Jim but not how we know it
to paraphrase! Appreciate your input, it is such an expensive decision this time we must get it right.

dr1uk

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2019
Not sure if my late posting is of use? We researched the marketplace for quite sometime and looked at many Motorhome's. We bought the Vantage Neo for its build quality and great customer service. We used our Neo over the winter and the insulation proved to be very effective; it is built for year round use. The cupboards, drawers and units are well made and screwed together. We looked at Autotrail and the quality of the units let it down, being flimsy with thinner materials. The Neo has a quality overall finish. There are videos on you tube made a few years ago that go into detail on construction. The dual zone works well. The toilet/shower has the flip up sink, not the fixed version. We are happy with Fiat base vehicle which is quite when driving - no diesel "drone" which is annoying on long journeys. Very happy owners and happy to recommend.
20191001_162810.jpg

to6y

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC...probably!
Exp
Post Corona...
Not sure if my late posting is of use? We researched the marketplace for quite sometime and looked at many Motorhome's. We bought the Vantage Neo for its build quality and great customer service. We used our Neo over the winter and the insulation proved to be very effective; it is built for year round use. The cupboards, drawers and units are well made and screwed together. We looked at Autotrail and the quality of the units let it down, being flimsy with thinner materials. The Neo has a quality overall finish. There are videos on you tube made a few years ago that go into detail on construction. The dual zone works well. The toilet/shower has the flip up sink, not the fixed version. We are happy with Fiat base vehicle which is quite when driving - no diesel "drone" which is annoying on long journeys. Very happy owners and happy to recommend. View attachment 390302
Hi dr1uk

I see you have a Vantage, they are on my shortlist (Vantage Sky).

This post seems very positive. How long have you had it? Any problems? Any advice?

Many thanks in anticipation

dr1uk

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2019
We bought ours in September 2019 after much research and having looked at many brands and models. Many other models appeared to have lesser quality cabinetry - thinner materials and fixings that were less substantial than Vantage. None of the cupboards or cabinets rattle in our Neo. Over winter, the heating system was excellent. Water pressure is very good. Excellent insulation. The two leisure batteries and solar panel which are standard, are adequate for a couple of days off grid. The rear barn doors are well insulated with no gaps and no draughts coming through. It is a solid well made motorhome. A purchase of this nature has to be right and we have confidence in Vantage with excellent customer service and always answering our basic questions. We plan to use our motorhome for extensive long term travel in two years and have confidence in the build and quality of our Neo. No downside or problems to add.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back