campercontact (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi All

Just joined camparcontact and have the app on the phone. Anyone used this and your experience with using?
I was looking for MH stopovers as I'm thinking more about off grid now having had solar fitted. Any recommendations for other apps? I've got searchforsites, park4night and camperstop but getting messages that the evaluation subscription has ended.
I don't want to be subscribing to all of them so what's your thoughts on the best one for UK stop overs off grid.

New to this and I've not used any of them so far

OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We used Camper Contact for years but changed to Park4Night whilst we were in Scandinavia. We use P4N mostly now, but read the comments thoroughly before heading to recommended places.
cheers will do. I noticed when reading through some previous posts folk using britstops and it's £28 yearly subscription. I've already got campercontact, membership here and membership with then Camping and Caravanning club. Then for the bike I've got Harley Riders Great Britain HRGB. I've probably forgotten others and never used them. Its getting confusing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I use CC mostly in France & got on well with it but started using SFS and really like it , also use P4N , it only costs £15 approx a year for the 3 of them , well worth it
Thanks Scotch Mist. We'll be doing Uk only this year obviously due to the way things are so looking for the best one for UK

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Britstops is mostly just pubs but CC now also lists pubs and the other apps have some too. I won't speculate over whether Britstops' data has been pinched but it's a possibility.

But as others have suggested it is useful to have more than one app so you can check them all in the event there is a specific place you want to visit and the first app you try hasn't got any suggestions.

My impressions are S4S and P4N have a lot more basic parking areas than CC but with our PVC we generally need water and dump points so tend to look on there first.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks for the info everyone. heading off next weekend so will check a couple of them out

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I use mainly S4S. I do subscribe to CC but the bizarre reason I don’t use it is cos it doesn’t rotate on the iPad screen, so I never bother. Also subscribe to P4N but very rarely use it. I’ve also just packed all the Harley stuff in after 20 years European touring and twice in the USA, Sturgis and Milwaukee (do you need any HD riding gear)😁😁 but on the Harley we used Booking.com.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I find CC more reliable that the other apps if using P4N you need to check the locations carefully we have been caught out a few times.
Good to Know Lenny. I know what you mean though. I saw Dumbarton Castle on CC, Its just up the road from me and only has two places. I would never stay overnight there. Dumbarton has a bit of a reputation

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have down loaded CC POIs for a few countries free of charge and loaded them on my Garmin SatNav. I use them in europe where I travel without much planning. In the UK I always plan my trips.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've found CC is good in Europe but very few non campsites in the UK.
I mostly use P4N in the UK. It has found us some brilliant and stunning locations - although some wild sites could be a problem with vans over 7mt.
I've deleted SFS app now as it has let us down too many times.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Have used CC a lot whilst travelling in Europe but like most of these apps all depends on people loading locations, writing reviews and posting photos.

S4S seems to be good option for the UK though.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What's gone wrong? And if the data was incorrect, did you leave a comment?

At least four times in 2019 it took us to a false address as though someone was having a laugh and entering fake locations.
Every time it let us down I was so p!$$ I could not bring my self to comment.
P4N has never let us down and always answered and appreciates our comments.

Upvote 1
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt read the whole thread some one else might have said but p4n is not payed it's free.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At least four times in 2019 it took us to a false address as though someone was having a laugh and entering fake locations.
Every time it let us down I was so p!$$ I could not bring my self to comment.
P4N has never let us down and always answered and appreciates our comments.
Sounds like my experance with P4N.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I use mainly S4S. I do subscribe to CC but the bizarre reason I don’t use it is cos it doesn’t rotate on the iPad screen, so I never bother. Also subscribe to P4N but very rarely use it. I’ve also just packed all the Harley stuff in after 20 years European touring and twice in the USA, Sturgis and Milwaukee (do you need any HD riding gear)😁😁 but on the Harley we used Booking.com.
No not needing any clothing but possibly a rear fender for a road king, you haven't got one knocking around have you?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Does anyone know if CAMpRA have published a map of UK aires to date? I would find that useful.

The approved aires are on the Search for Sites website (not yet on the app though).

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/advanced.php?country=GB&browse=true&partners=18&

Just use the link above or go to 'Advanced Search', United Kingdom, and then select 'Pricing & Partners' and CAMpRA.

There are more aires on their website, but I think the ones above are those that have gone through the full approval process.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun