DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have download the Android app for Campercontact, which I heard about from @ScotJimland.

I have the paid for version and have downloaded a few of the maps, hoping I could use it offline. Unfortunately, it will only work for me when connected to the Internet. If I click on the map button it just tells me it won't work as it has no connection.

I wonder if I need to download all the maps or perhaps this is a bug.

Can anyone get theirs working and can view the maps offline?

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Did you press the i button and then click on offline maps? It worked for me although it doesn't hold them offline forever and I would sometimes go to use the map offline only to discover it needed downloading again which is annoying if you don't have wifi.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
You can look at the
Maps that you have downloaded when you are off line. We have used it on the iPhone's when travelling along with data roaming off (no connection to Internet ). It picks up where you are from the mobile signal and gives you parkings near to where you are. If you just see a list you should see the option 'map' in the top right hand corner. I did find that it could be a bit temperamental and didn't always work.

Hope this is of some help.
Kath

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have it on my Samsung tablet, it works without wifi but you need to activate the gps/location setting on your phone then choose which country map you want on the app. you can then filter by distance/price etc (y)

ps I'm glad you mentioned it because I have hardly used it but I'm experimenting with it now on Sardinia (never been) and it's brought up loads of places. Cheers! :)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I use it and also have TomTom on the same device so just click route when I find a site and it puts the co-ordinates straight into TomTom to navigate there.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We paid for the app , before xmas ready to use when we are away , it would not download properly and still hasnt ,
i have given up on it ...

use MAPS.ME it is far better and IT WORKS !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We paid for the app , before xmas ready to use when we are away , it would not download properly and still hasnt ,
i have given up on it ...

use MAPS.ME it is far better and IT WORKS !

don't understand why you can't download successfully.. maybe a bug on your phone.. have you tried recently.. ?
I have it on both phone and tablet..

nor understand why maps.me is better .. it's not a camper stop app is it ?

to answer the OP.. yes,
works fine off line

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I have it on two iPads and it works fine without wifi it's a good app imo

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you download the different countries and regions for camping and parking places that is different to the MAP button that is in the top right of the app, if you want to show the camping/parking place on their map you have to either be online or enable "use data" OR you have to download the maps separately in the settings tab of the app.

As I said previously if you have other offline mapping on the same device if you click route it should put the co-ordinates straight in, it's does for me with TomTom anyway.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Tried it on the samsung tablet , downloads so far then stops , thought it was internet fault at home so went to a mates with super fast broadband still the same , we removed the app and tried again still no good , tried on the phone still the same , i keep getting the front page of campercontact coming up on my tablet saying do i want to down load 111000 pictures of campsites , ?,
given up trying .....
others have reported same fault on their website ,

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for all your replies. I now seem to have got it working but I'm not sure how!
Pressing the info button brings up a menu, one of which is offline maps. Clicking this gave me the message I needed to be connected to the internet. Which seems a bit perverse but I fired up the WiFi and tried again. Now it showed the list of maps to download including the ones I had already downloaded, which have a cross next to them.
I turned off the WiFi and tried again. Now when I click the map button it gave me the option to select a downloaded map. It wasn't doing this yesterday!
Oh well, now seems fine and I also discovered where it shows coords - in the contact section.

I am using the app to plan our next trip. There is the most amazing parking place at Fisterre on the western tip of Galicia. Perched above a cliff, no facilities but we must stop there for a night! Excellent app - now I'm getting the hang of it.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have download the Android app for Campercontact, which I heard about from @ScotJimland.

I bought it last night, workes a treat, downloaded Germany and Italy, turned off WiFi and it does what it says on the tin. Very useful and cheap, thanks.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Using it for real this week for the first time. Seems to work well on the iPad.
The only annoying "feature" I have found so far is that you can't cut and paste the reviews eg into Google translate.
I'm using Wordlens on my iPhone to read and translate the reviews on the iPad. Not ideal but it sort of works.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'd love to read the reviews as well. I can read Dutch, pity there's not a way we can do it with an android tablet.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
As Funfair said, put TomTom on the same device and then you just find the place you want with Campercontact and press "Route" and bingo, it will take you there with TomTom..
A great combination that has served us well in many countries !!
Mitch..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
put TomTom on the same device and then you just find the place you want with Campercontact and press "Route" and bingo

Unfortunately for me, at present Campercontact can only use Tomtom, Sygic or Google maps.. as I already bought Co-Piot I don't want to spend more on TT so I emailed Campercontact..

Dear James,

Thank you for your message. At this moment it's only possible to use TomTom, Navigon and Sygic. We use a standard template to connect with navigation software. These three (Sygic works only on Android, TomTom and Navigon both) are the only ones compatible. We are looking for ways to implement more navigation software. We have it on our list of future improvements. However, I don't think this will change in the near future.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently.

Kind regards,

NKC | Europa’s grootste camperclub

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
I have downloaded the full version on my android phone and the maps element seems to work fine when offline. Only thing is I cannot see any of the photos when offline....have I done something wrong or is it only possible to see photos when connected to the internet?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi
I have downloaded the full version on my android phone and the maps element seems to work fine when offline. Only thing is I cannot see any of the photos when offline....have I done something wrong or is it only possible to see photos when connected to the internet?
There is an option to download all the data, can't remember where it is although I'm surprised the app hasn't offered to do this. Have a rummage around in settings.

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Ok I will ...if its possible on my phone I will find a way;). I could uninstall and reinstall I suppose and hope that I dont get charged again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
While in Spain recently the version of Camper Contact on the bosses iPad stopped working the bu**ers have now made it a yearly fee, they don't bother telling you. Anway paid up downloaded offline maps, worked OK a couple of times next time tried to use it maps wouldn't work offline said I need to download the maps. I should have known better to download it to a useless bit of kit of an iPad and done it on one of my Android devices.
I also notice that the online site doesn't have anything like the number of Aires & sites on it that he app has, they don't tell you that either, going off Camper Contact.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Using it for real this week for the first time. Seems to work well on the iPad.
The only annoying "feature" I have found so far is that you can't cut and paste the reviews eg into Google translate.
I'm using Wordlens on my iPhone to read and translate the reviews on the iPad. Not ideal but it sort of works.
If I'm desperate to read the reviews that are in other languages I put the location number in the campercontact website and google translates that.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If it's any help, I've downloaded 'here' maps and campercontact will opt to use them!
I've used campercontact a lot on our trips

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
There is an option to download all the data, can't remember where it is although I'm surprised the app hasn't offered to do this. Have a rummage around in settings.
It asked me if I wanted to download pictures, did it do that with you.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back