Sep 30, 2007
Rhos-on-Sea, Conwy, North
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Started 2007.
Hello All.
Does anyone know the general rules on tyre valves? I want to fit my unused Michelin spare onto the van along with a new tyre. The tyres currently on the road have metal valves but the spare has a rubber valve.
The cold pressures for the front are set at 4.5 bars (approx 66 psi)
Thanks
Al

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There are high pressure rubber vales you can get however they are tricky to fit and the tyre fitter who does not know them will easily damage them on fitting and you won't know.
Metal valves are cheap enough on fleabay, just make sure you get the correct length.
I bought 6 had 5 fitted and kep a spare.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think it’s best to have metal valves and cores.

You should have the same tyres on the axle,so I assume your new one is the same as your spare?

Personally,I wouldn’t put the spare on if it is “old” . For some people this means more than five years old.

OP
OP
sennen523

sennen523

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Rhos-on-Sea, Conwy, North
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Started 2007.
I think it’s best to have metal valves and cores.

You should have the same tyres on the axle,so I assume your new one is the same as your spare?

Personally,I wouldn’t put the spare on if it is “old” . For some people this means more than five years old.
Hi Podney,
The tyre I'm buying is exactly the same as the spare so will be the same tyres on the Front Axle. The spare has never been used and was purchased with the van in 2016, so no date issues. The only doubt is the rubber valve.
Al.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I use TR600 metal cored tyre valves

Surely, your tyre fitter will advise?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The Tr600 are good valves but they need very careful fitting as they are not easy to fit correctly by a tyre fitter who does not know this valve.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
The Tr600 are good valves but they need very careful fitting as they are not easy to fit correctly by a tyre fitter who does not know this valve.
Interesting, I've never had a problem so I guess my tyre fitter knows his valve's 😂

But, what is the issue with fitting them, just for future reference 👍

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I bought these from a retailer on eBay a couple years ago.
Regarding ‘the tyre fitter will advise’ My local Kwikfit were clueless and not interested in helping.
2C2CB84F-39F3-43E8-B47D-8FC05EB79F83.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Regulations state max pressure for rubber tyre valves is 65psi so it needs changing.
Your spare is at least 5 years old probably older so not safe to use, I Know it's not been in sunlight but not worth the risk.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Tr600 valves are available rated to 85 or 100 psi.
Most online retailers do not know what spec they are selling.
Failure is serious.
I have fitted metal valves.
Edit
Heres an usa advert

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting, I've never had a problem so I guess my tyre fitter knows his valve's 😂

But, what is the issue with fitting them, just for future reference 👍
They have a thicker less flexible base and a tighter fit in the wheel hole as a result need careful pulling through.
There is apparently a slightly different bar to pull thenm in.
And to seat them fully takes a bit of care and correct lubrication.

I am sure there are tyre fitters and then there's those who still have some learning to do.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
We were told in Germany our rubber tyre valves were illegal ,the tyre depot fitted them free .This was after our original valve failed ,perhaps thats for over 3.5 ton? That was 7in total never had a problem since.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
When I bought 4 new tyres from QuickFif I sked the fitter about the rubber valves. He said they are high pressure and absolutely fine for the tyres. He must have been correct because 6,000 miles later not a problem.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just had the cars tracking checked & adjusted at our local Kwik Fit, all 4 wheels adjusted, alignment on fronts, camber on rears.
Whilst there I asked about prices for 225x75x16 MH Tyres, specifically Michelin Agilis Campers, then just for an alternative extreme:giggle: BF Goodrich AT K2's well the answer was £220 for the Michelins, £ 180 odd for The BF's!, having picked myself off the floor he then said "well sorry mate, but Camper Vans are not our main market, and anyhow doubt your van would fit on our ramps"
I very much doubt they would have metal valves in stock, let alone how to fit them with a different valve tool, something to consider carefully I guess when replacing our tyres.

Got me thinking, are Kwik Fit Branches franchises?, that would explain a few things, as service varies so much between them.
LES

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Celtic tyres sort my van out after Halfords messed it up and broke the valve (Halfords paid the bill to transport the van to them and my travel costs to pick it up) now part of protyre
The guys when asked about the 'difficult' fitting of the valve' laughed, the service second to none.
I am thinking it could be just another reason to charge MH's more money.
I used the change on the drive service thinking it would be more convenient and cheaper . the van ended up in my preferred location and they met the price

Yes they did agree with me that I should have taken it there first :unsure: :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back