Camper Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
Out of interest, has anyone got any experience of the Garmin or TomTom camper sat navs? They're certainly expensive but are they worth it? What are the POI like for camper services etc in Europe?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have the Garmin version and even though the MH dimensions are programmed in, it still will take you down impossible roads.
Don't trust it myself and still have my Big Scale Truckers Atlas, which SWMBO navigates from, and then argues with the sat nav. ::bigsmile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have the Dezl 760 which is the truck version not the camper version, but they are the same, without the campsite POI's. I have put in my own POI's for aires and speed cams ( dangerous road sections in France)
As knockionabit said above, it has taken us down some "interesting" roads too, but it does tell me "Lorry accessibility unknown" so I know what to expect.
What I like about the Truck setting though is that you get advance warning of bends, gradients, speed limits and other hazards ahead of you.
And it earned its keep by taking me on an almost traffic free and fast route through Rouen last week! ::bigsmile:riving2:

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I have the Dezl 760 which is the truck version not the camper version, but they are the same, without the campsite POI's. I have put in my own POI's for aires and speed cams ( dangerous road sections in France)
As knockionabit said above, it has taken us down some "interesting" roads too, but it does tell me "Lorry accessibility unknown" so I know what to expect.
What I like about the Truck setting though is that you get advance warning of bends, gradients, speed limits and other hazards ahead of you.
And it earned its keep by taking me on an almost traffic free and fast route through Rouen last week! ::bigsmile:riving2:

Allan

Just ordered a Garmin DEZL 760 LMTit was a toss up between that or a Tomtom 5150 which has a 5" screen, the 7" screen and facilities of the DEZL won it for me also that Garmin instruments are wildly used in a number of aircraft. :thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have a Garmin Camper 760. Bought it in January. Nice big screen, nice bit of kit, full of ACSI sites, and a host of other sites, warns of all sorts of possible dangers, BUT, it has offered to take me into all sorts of tight places, even though i have given it parameters of 44ft long, 8ft wide, and 13ft high..
It needs the maps updating, but that shouldn't effect the size of vehicle.
Remember they are an AID! A good detailed map is a must! Do not rely on one totally!

Craig

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I have the tomtom version, used it for a year and no problems within the UK, never been into the rest of Europe with the Motorhome so cannot comment on that.

I have found it reliable and not been directed down any unsuitable roads.

May 29, 2014
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
5 berth coachbuilt
Exp
Complete novice.
I bought TomTom caravan & camper version recently as I am a novice, never had a caravan or motorhome before so wanted it for reassurance. Had two TomToms in the past so stuck with it for familiarity. Whilst installing updates on computer I noticed a pop-up box which indicated that the version being installed was NOT a camper/caravan map. I questioned TomTom via email from their website why this could happen when I had paid a lot extra to get this facility and I was advised to switch maps and sent a link on how to do this. I didn't understand what they meant or why. I went on holiday using the UK version map only and was directed on several occasions down unsuitable width-restricted roads. In the end I used paper maps and stuck to main roads only. I asked TomTom on my return about these misdirections and again was told to switch maps and use the Europe map installed on my device. As I now understand it - the Europe version includes UK and this SHOULD be a camper/caravan version (it asked for motorhome dimensions etc) but there is NOT a separate UK camper/caravan version even though a UK map only is installed on the device. I am mystified why the Europe map has UK camper version but the UK only does not. I remain very sceptical and will certainly not rely on TomTom directions exclusively - I would be interested to hear if anyone else has come across this problem with TomTom camper/caravan version.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I have a Garmin Camper. Chosen because of the ease of manipulating POIs in csv format which allows me to create my own without a lot of hassle. Currently I have 108,000 POIs, all freely available to download, installed at last count. The voice recognition is very good - the woman inside the box almost always listens and responds when I speak commandingly. This took some getting used to. I don't trust her to be accurate about road widths though.

May 29, 2014
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
5 berth coachbuilt
Exp
Complete novice.
An update to my previous posting. I have used the Europe/UK Camper version on a local trip today and the satnav directed me a much, much longer way round than I would have normally taken, being very familiar with local roads and would have happily taken the Motorhome along these roads. If I was on unfamiliar ground then I suppose I would rather follow satnav directions to ensure that only suitable roads are used. Swings and roundabouts comes to mind or should it be damned if I do, damned if I don't!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back