Camp Site, Short stay, Pub stop? Between Stockport and Trafford?? (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

On the lookout for a Short stay, 2 night max, HARDSTAND stop for late January.

Somewhere between, Stockport (to visit friends) and the Event City Near Trafford to visit the M-H show.

Any suggestions??

Pete

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is a Britstop in or near Stockport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I guess a few phone call to pubs and garden centres and the like then? See if anyone would let you park up :)

I have a feeling there are car parks round "The Trafford Centre", and a museum of some sort nearby. Failing that there is an old mill now converted to a shopping experience that has a coach park not far off the motorway. Can't remember the name of the place but it may come back to me .......

EDIT: Botany Bay. Not sure of they allow overnight stops but worth a phone call????

Our son lives in Stockport and we usually stop at Elm Beds, Higher Poynton, not a brilliant site for facilities and you would need to check they are open but it's the nearest site to Stockport we have found. With all the rain you'd need to check that they are not flooded :(

Last edited:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
botany bay has gates that they lock at night, but i think you could stay there,near motorway so may be a bit noisy

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Do a search on pubs in Urmston and flixton, there are quite a few, all within a mile or so from event city.
The swinging bridge opposite the Trafford Centre, Moss Vale just near motorway, often coaches park there with away fans heading to Old Trafford.
Also plenty of quiet areas in Trafford Park for the night.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Would prefer a "regular" site, Wilding does not bother me (Ex Trucker!) but SWMBO has an aversion to it. I looked at Elm Beds, a bit run down? by the look on Earth. whats it actually like? and does it have Hard standing?.

The other issue is we will need SWMBO`s Mobility Scoot for the M-H Show, more than a few yards of walking is a non starter.

Pete

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I stayed at Elm Beds once but not impressed. It was some time ago so it may have changed. I don't remember any hard standings, and an awful road to get in so your RV might struggle.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If you can't find anywhere closer you could try The Hawthorne Nightstop. We stayed there last year. Short bus ride into Oldham where you can get the tram into Manchester city centre and transport onward to Event City and Stockport.

Very welcoming owners.
Access may be a problem for an RV (PeteH's avatar) unless he can get in on the top parking area.
Certainly problems at the bottom.
Had they finished the new toilet / shower block when you were there last, Graham?

Edit:
Just read PeteH's last post re Management's mobility scooter.
Top park would be best, Tarmac right to the pub door. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very welcoming owners.
Access may be a problem for an RV (PeteH's avatar) unless he can get in on the top parking area.
Certainly problems at the bottom.
Had they finished the new toilet / shower block when you were there last, Graham?

Edit:
Just read PeteH's last post re Management's mobility scooter.
Top park would be best, Tarmac right to the pub door. (y)
I was thinking of the top parking area John. I think Steve has EHU points there in case of RVs stopping - there was one there when we were there.

They hadn't finished the shower block, we were there before you :)

I meant to say, @PeteH, if you do go there it's easier to approach from the southern end of Roundthorn Road. The northern end is a bus route but there are quite a few cars parked on the road side.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Top park would be ok.
The owners, as you know, really will bend over backwards to help
When we were there last they were marking out and cutting the tarmac for the footings of the shower block, no actual building had started.
Nice stop.

Reactions: GJH

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Would prefer a "regular" site, Wilding does not bother me (Ex Trucker!) but SWMBO has an aversion to it. I looked at Elm Beds, a bit run down? by the look on Earth. whats it actually like? and does it have Hard standing?.

The other issue is we will need SWMBO`s Mobility Scoot for the M-H Show, more than a few yards of walking is a non starter.

Pete

Elm Beds has become run down but it is handy for Stockport - and is possibly the nearest site that takes touring vans.

There are hard standings, if you call lines of paving slabs laid in grass hard standing, and the facilities are (being very kind here) basic, but you don't need them if you are self contained - the static site is well maintained though. The road in is cobbled and narrow. You will struggle in a large van.

Is there anything near Event City where you could park up with permission?

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Avtar, is the USA R-V. (Sadly now no longer Owned:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: and much missed). Only got the 7.4M Rapido now (Or as SWMBO calls it, the dolls house!). due to age restrictions. I`l look further at that Elm Beds Site. Thanks All.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back