Camos woes system takes early Brexit (1 Viewer)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
My CAMOS system is playing up. It's worked perfectly for years but now 2 problems , maybe related, 1 the "lock" light does not come on after startup the usual search occurs but no Lock light. Second problem, I can only get predominantly German and Austrian channels. The BBC and ITV etc are gone.

I've tried the installation menu deleting all channels and re-search on Astra 2 but only get German and Austrian channels.

So what's changed or gone wrong?

Help!!!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
As you are getting German channels, the dish is on Astra 1 satellites (19 east)
UK TV (BBC ITV) are on Astra 2 satellites (28 east).

So your dish is not locking onto the correct satellites.

Hence why when you "tried the installation menu deleting all channels and re-search on Astra 2 but only get German and Austrian channels."... it will make no difference what satellite you do a search for, it will still only pick up the channels from the satellite that the dish is aligned to.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Yes I think you are right it is returning to Astra 1..

Should the CAMOS unit lock without the sat receiver being switched on??

Or does it rely on feedback telling it "your on the sattilite" ?

TIA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes I think you are right it is returning to Astra 1..

Should the CAMOS unit lock without the sat receiver being switched on??

Or does it rely on feedback telling it "your on the sattilite" ?

TIA
No. The satellite dome system is self-contained. It doesn't even need a receiver connected to lock onto the satellite.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
My camos dome had a number of white buttons (5?) on its controller box, one for each preset satellite ie. Button 1 for astra 1, button 2 for Astra 2, button 3 for eutelsat etc.

You haven't accidentally pushed the wrong button have you?

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Ok all, sorted it. As I said it was failing to lock. I tried Astra 1 and same problem, but if I selected HotBird it locked ok. So not a problem with wiring/control box per se. So I asked around at the show (Shepton Mallet) and got lots of sales pitch from Satillitte salesmen. However I was waiting at one stall who claimed to offer SatTV repairs etc. and managed to earwig the conversation the man was having with the customer before me.... He had the same problem. The bloke suggested it needed reprogramming (£300-£500). But I was highly suspicious it turned out several people were having similar conversations.

So I figured it could be local interference from some local source.

Got the unit back to base at my son's house in Chester, got on the roof cleaned the bird sh*t off the dome, and reprogrammed the Zender unit using son's static dish set to Astra 2.. and it all works!

Thanks all, it's good to get feedback and I learnt from you input, Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
All that mucking about just to get Coronation Street, turn it off & read a book, suggest The Beano, just as entertaining!!!!

Sorry what's "Coronation Street"? Is simlar to Coronation Chicken? If so sorry again, can't stand cooking programs, only really interested in sport.

By "Sport" I concur with Ernest Hemingways definition, “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
is there any kind of up grade for camos my dome is 9 years old but still works well most of the time after some fiddling about

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
It is alledged in my book of instructions that the latest software can be downloaded and upgraded via the RS232C interface, however I haven't found the need for it and mine is the same vintage March '08.

Mine is working fine now, after cleaning up the dome with fairy liquid and hot water.

I'm not a big TV fan but it's nice to have things working ok. No point trailing a load of duff kit around, even if it's only for occassional use.

HTH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back