Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Has anyone out there had experience of this product? Will it receive Astra transmissions across Europe? Is it any good in the wind, as claimed?

We are looking to upgrade our Aldi camping dish with something which will provide easier setting up and just makes us look less tight!::bigsmile:

News of any experiences anyone may have had with this product would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon and Shell

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
my mate smith123 has 1 and its great, i have the camos dome and his locked on in croatia before mine, and down through europe it was as good as the dome

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Had one for a few years & as far as wind is concerned I would only take it down if wind is very strong. Been up in force 8 with no probs.

You will get tuned to Astra all over Europe, but because of it's size you wont get all UK progs in southern areas, for instance Spain & Portugal

We tune into what ever is available on Astra 2 so always have something to watch - in English.

Edit: Should have said mine is not the plus modle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Keith, I just did a bit of research and the Plus version is a little bigger and a hundred quid more, supposedly enabling reception on the fringes of the satellite 'footprint'.
Hopefully a funster somewhere will be able to testify to the claims!:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Jon, splash the cash and get the Dome, Got mine of ebay for £700 2 years ago, just the small dome, and it has never let me down and gets a signal when others cant seem too, Never have to take it down because of the wind, just a great bit of kit.

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
John and Shell

Got one in March 2009 and wrote the following post.

"I bought, and installed, the Plus Flat Sat last month and have been delighted with the performance of the dish and the ease of installation.

Reception, using a Maplins mini-sat kit receiver, is excellent and locking into a signal really is a doddle. I have used it here in Mid Wales and as far down as Oberstdorf in Germany and all points between. Alignment is very easy using the 'copy the next vans satellite dish position if their telly is working' method and the signal strength meter/buzzer on the Maplins receiver. From wind up, to rotate the dish and get a signal, takes me less than two minutes.

I bought the Plus as I wanted full European coverage and although it has a skew facility I have yet to use it. If you do skew the dish, you need to adjust two butterfly screws on the back of the dish which obviously requires roof access.

The very small profile of the dish was the reason why I chose it as space on the van roof was at a premium. It really is small compared to the Maxview setups I have had previously and is very neat and unobtrusive in both the upright or parked position. No wind noise when travelling at speed on the Autobahn and impressive stability during a windy day which would have seen me lowering the Maxview. Also, when it is lowered it does not look like an expensive satellite dish, which is a security plus.

Installation took two hours, one hour of which was measuring, checking cables and building up the courage to cut a 38mm hole in the roof. The finished article is very neat and the wind up handle and rotating knob/position chart is easy and intuitive to use.

All in all it does exactly as described. Easy to fit, easy to align and very nice looking when up and hardly noticeable when down. Highly recommended. I purchased mine from Roadpro and received a highly professional and courteous service."

I changed vans last year and the new one had a Camos dome fitted. If I was putting a sat on a new van I would not hesitate to put a Flat Plus on and save a bundle. It is an excellent bit of kit and I can add the South of France coast, The Verdon Gorge and Northern Italy to the reception footprint.

I did have to skew the dish slightly in Northern Italy and again I can confirm its excellent wind resistance.

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
my mates got all uk channels until we got to munich he still had movies and most of sky tv when we were in croatia, weve never been spain in the m/h so couldnt comment on going that way. he got all the same channels as me with a 40cm dome

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It's beginning to sound as if the moths will be freed from my wallet and we might have to invest in one!::bigsmile:

We decided against a dome at an early stage due to the potential for technical faults and the fact we have a very flat roof profile. We feel that a dome on our roof would be very reminiscent of a Type 42 Destroyer Gun Turret!

Thank you all very much for the contributions!

-Jon and Shell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back