Camos Dome (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Is there anyone out there who has experience of / can give advice on the Camos Dome? I've been on the Road Pro website and to be honest can't find anything that's been of help to us - I ordered the Adria with Camos Dome and freesat receiver (can't remember what it is now, some German make). Maybe we're just not selective enough with the pitches we choose, but I haven't had much luck getting the Camos to lock on to a satellite and give us decent (ANY) tv pictures for ages - last time we had excellent reception was at the CC site near St Davids, South Wales. Nary a tree in sight and a clear view to the sky, and no problems. On the way home, we stayed ay Abbey Wood - no satellite reception where we were pitched, but I saw an RV elsewhere on the sight with a big dish up which seemed to be getting reception.

Beechwood Grange CC site, York - no luck. Pitch under trees though, so understandable.

This weekend - Losehill, Derbyshire - no luck. Whole site amongst trees, but some much less expensive little tripod systems etc up and apparently working around the site. I'm fed up. Have resorted to putting up a pole aerial , a cheap Status without booster, just to get SOME tv reception on site. Any ideas?

The Camos is pretty simple to operate really - switch on, power up, find satellite, lock on, tune sat box in and there you go. Or so I thought......

:Confused::Confused::Confused:

Laurie

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Laurie

You should not be having these problems. When I was at Dover one of the other motorhomers came rushing in as though there had been an emergency. The emergency was that it was the first time out with his camos and his wife was furious that it would not lock and Eastenders started in 5 minutes.

He offered me reams of instruction manuals but through all the flashing lights I noticed that in his panic he had been pressing any button he could find and had pressed the astra 1 button. Of course to get something he needed to be locking onto astra 2.

If you have checked everything have you tried Road Pro. I have been to their unit and they have a number of staff there just to help people

stew

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I fancied the Camos system, because I understood that you could receive signals on the move. We hardly watch telly when parked up but travelling with three kids and the disney, cartoon and movie channels would be great. But.. I followed a thread on the other place and if I recall people were moaning about, poor signal reception, esp on the continent, and the noise of the motors moving at night if it was left on/ (why would you leave it on?)

I would definitely get your system checked out, I know they are not cheap, and surely they should perform better than yours has to date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Laurie
There were 2 reasons that we didn't buy a Camos.
Firstly we heard that if you couldn't get a clear line of sight to the satellite then you had to keep shifting the van around, not always easy or practical and any trees nearby tended to kill the signal.
The second reason is that we couldn't afford one :roflmto::roflmto:

Hope you get yours sorted out soon, try calling Road Pro and speaking to them about it, I have heard that they are very helpful.....

Keith

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks for the advice, I am very frustrated with the Camos - however, it was fitted via the same rotten dealer who supplied the M'H (many of you prob know the mess I had with the dealer, BCS in Herne Bay and how badly Adria reacted - the issues have still not been resolved although at least the dealer sent me a refund cheque for the £500 trashy towbar!!). Not keen to drive a 600 mile return journey to a dealer I couldn't trust as far as I could throw him. As for Adria, well lets just say that their Commercial Director Mike Lake hasn't exactly been the greatest help so far, so much for their wanting to make inroads into the market.....)

Perhaps I should just write the installation mess off to experience and pay the good folk at Conrad Anderson to sort it out for me, if they will - the VDO Dayton satnav fitted to the van via the same dealer stopped working properly today too - the antenna seems to have become disconnected somehow and it isn't getting satellite reception although the unit itself seems fine. I know CA do VDO Dayton, so perhaps a dual trip to sort out the dome, the satnav and reversing camera botch up.......:Mad::Mad::Mad:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Laurie
I would normally offer to help out and have a look at your van when we meet up in September, but....... With all the grief you seem to have had with the van it would seem daft to get involved as if anything ever went back to the dealer or Adria, they will just use the excuse of having non qualified people messing around with you van and "they will have caused all the problems".....
I think that the best option is to get a "professional" company to rectify the faults, also make sure that you get a written report showing all the faults and the causes and the method of rectification, that way you may be able to obtain some recompense from the dealer.....
Good luck with it

Keith

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Keith

The dealer nightmare would fill a very boring book, lets just say I don't believe much is going to happen from that point unless I take very expensive legal action - basically the dealer just avoided all contact from March 07 when we collected the van until about 3 months later. This despite Adria leaning on him, although they have not been much good. The van is basically a lovely van and well finished -but Adria delivered it without the tinted screen I had ordered and a host of small things (missing carpets etc) that should have been sorted in the PDI were not, I stupidly ordered the van from Herne Bay when I live in the Midlands (Adria had very few dealers at the time I ordered the Vision, but they have now proliferated somewhat). The Camos Dome and VDO Dayton sat nav and reversing camera system were fitted by Communicar near Herne Bay, so not really worth the 600 mile journey up and down the country as I am a self-employed contractor to the NHS and would lose hours big time if I had to take a week off to drag down there and wait while something happened (if it did, although the chap did seem quite helpful when we were there.)

BCS motorhomes worst thing was that they had a dangerous diy towbar fitted to the alko-chassis which was a total abortion - rectified by Towtal in Stoke who also did pics and a report. BCS eventually refunded the £500 I paid Towtal, carpets arrived, I fixed some other small things, and we are waiting for some new Remi Blinds from Adria (damaged when van delivered), as well as news about the tinted screen. Mike Lake from Adria sent an engineer to inspect and report on the van - about 8 weeks ago now. Mike simply doesn't answer or return calls, and when pushed, simply states that its the dealers problem, not Adrias and I should talk to the finance company. We all know that the likely outcome of that is the van sitting frozen somewhere collecting dust while I remain responsible for the finance costs ultimately, while the finance company and the dealer get embroiled in a lengthy argument..........

Its all just dreadful and to be honest, nearly put me off ever going out in the motorhome again, but you know what, life is too short for that - ultimately, it would be best for my health, and Jennifer's, if I just put it behind me and try to make the most of our time. It was a pricey mistake - £60K - but I guess we'll survive. So, any peering into nooks and crannies at the meet would be most welcome and not foolish at all - the old adage of not throwing good money after bad rings true here, methinx. CA were very nice about doing a warranty swop out on a non-functioning Waeco Easycool rooftop unit fitted by BCS (really really badly!)- so actually, I'm pleased it packed up (well, never worked from the outset) as they did such a good job. If I can't get the issues sorted myself or via friends / advice/assistance, perhaps I'll just have to pay up again and get it done when finances allow.

Long rant, hopefully you're not totally bored now! Whatever ideas anyone has now or at the meet, gratefully received. :Confused:

Laurie

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Sadly Laurie so many"new van" experiences turn out to be long, boring stories I am not saying I am bored with yours by the way ::bigsmile:
Well given the circumstances it would seem that the "meets techies" should at least have a look, some of your issues may be easily recified if we are lucky ::bigsmile:
If you are happy to wait for the meet in September then I think you can count on a few of us being in attendance ::bigsmile:

Keith

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Laurie

The Dealer review will be functioning soon and you will be able to leave some nice remarks in it about your "new van" experience ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Pleased to report that the Camos Dome seems to be functioning ok - the problem was likely our pitch positions for the past few outings- we went to Blackshaw Moor CC site this weekend and the Sat TV was about the only good thing about the place :Confused:

Laurie

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Pleased to report that the Camos Dome seems to be functioning ok - the problem was likely our pitch positions for the past few outings- we went to Blackshaw Moor CC site this weekend and the Sat TV was about the only good thing about the place :Confused:

Laurie

Are you talking of the Caravan Club site or the Camping & Caravan Club site.
We found the Caravan Club site very good and clean, and only 20 mins walk to Tittersworth reservoir.
But you have to speak as you find.
sorry you did not enjoy the place.
Did you go to the roaches? very near and very nice.
regards

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Justme,

It was the CC site, not the nearby CCC site - we are members of both, but I have yet to use a CCC site. The layout of the CC site is quite nice, although the pitches are unsuitable for RVs (our 24ft Euro just made it, and a tag axle Niesmann and Bischoff had a real battle fitting). There are only 3 showers and 3 toilets in the ladies which is rather mean for such a large site, and in peak season they were not in great shape by the afternoon and had long queues in the morning. I was quite fed up at the CCs apparent duplicity as well - they make a HUGE issue about "not reserving any pitches for anyone" in the CC in general, but this site had a reserved pitch sign no doubt for a "friend of the wardens" , marked "available till 18 August then reserved".

Also, the site is not using national standard Radar Keys for the disabled shower/toilet, with no sign/ info to indicate otherwise, and when you request a key you have to leave your CC membership card with them for the duration of your stay! Why, when everyone else is issued with a key for the toilet blocks anyway, without having to leave a card??? Its very discriminatory and rather demeaning, I think. Perhaps I am being very sensitive about it, but I also thought there was more than just a hint of homophobia about as well......I didn't appreciate the way my partner was treated and challenged it strenously but politely. The CC as an organisation don't seem to employ single sex couples as wardens, either, just the usual mom-and-pop wardens with he-on-the-mini-tractor and she-in-the-office / cleaning. This is now VERY OFF-TOPIC, sorry about that, as I am sure it could lead to a discussion about the CC and its attitudes and responses to motorhomers and other minority groups......maybe we could restart a thread elsewhere. :wub:

Laurie

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Caravan club

A few weeks ago we booked on at Lady Margarets (Chirk) and when all the heavy rain came, I thought it prudent to check that we could have a hard standing. I was told that I could not reserve one and I would have to accept what was given to me on a first come ,first served. I canceled, I then telephoned Blackshaw moor and this was on the morning that I expected to arrive. A booking was made and they were very helpfull
As I said you have to speak as you find and I will not be going to Chirk.
I must point out that I wild camp quite a lot and I do use smaller sites. I do not go on CC sites too much!
regards

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Camos Sat Dome

Hi

We seem to have gone very off-topic, but if anyone is interested we have a Camos dome that has proved to be the simplest sat system I have ever used :Smile:. Park, switch on, press button, wait less than a minute and the Sky welcome sceen appears. Job done.

We bought on the recommendation of a friend who fulltimes, moving from Spain through Europe and into the UK and Ireland. He's had a Camos for 18 months and gets reception on either Sky or Hotbird without problems wherever he goes. No need to alter the settings on screen, simply select the correct sat on the receiver.

He tells me it has worked in storms, high winds, lightning (!) and 6 inches of snow. :whatthe:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Jakeontour

Yes, sometimes thing go a bit off topic here, but unlike other places, no mods arrive to rant and rave as this is a FUN site, not a prison camp!!
I agree that the Camos Dome is set up as a very simple system, but unfortunately if you are pitched in a position where it doesn't lock on to the satellite, then no Sky screen or any other appears - we like to be tucked away in more secluded areas on sites, and this is likely the problem with the Camos - if there are trees or other obstructions in the line of sight of the satellites, then it simply won't work. Easy as that. All satellite systems are limited in this manner, but I initially naively thought the Camos was better - it isn't, it is simply a very compact and simple system, but nonetheless needs direct line of sight to the satellite you wish to lock on to and is less flexible than a dish on a tripod with a long extension as you can't move it about quite the same as you can the tripod. When it works, however, it is brilliant, I agree. We just need to be more selective about our pitch choice!

Laurie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We just need to be more selective about our pitch choice!

Very true but not always possible on a busy site or indeed a site with lots of trees, the reason why savvy owners of roof mounted dishes carry a portable dish with a long coax. :winky:

No need to carry a tripod, I've mounted my portable dish onto the rear ladder, fence post, street lamp post, just about anywhere within reach..

Picture taken on site in Spain.. note my 60cm dish on far left on scaffold pole,
Link Removed
Jim

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I bought one of those Aldi/ Lidl type box kits ages ago but haven't tried it yet; perhaps I should put it in the Adria's super large garage "just in case".

Just seemed ridiculous to spend £1200 on an automated dish in order to use the £60 Lidl set up instead! Perhaps a normal Sky dish with 50m of cabling in a bag in the garage would be a lighter back up!!

Laurie

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Just got back from France, including one stop where we have never got a signal before. All the GB 'vans on site had their dishes down, so obviously some sort of local problem. Tried the Camos anyway. No signal on Astra N so switched to Astra S and in under a minute Sky appeared. I know you can manually alter the settings with a traditional sysytem, but who does for one night?

Maybe a one-off, but did very smug watching Corrie without a dish up to the bemusement of passing Brits.:Cool:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The Camos is now running perfectly and couldn't be simpler to set up. Must say, Road Pro MD was really helpful and friendly and immed offered to swop the kit out if it was defective; he also emailed the manual to me that the dealer hadn't bothered to supply.

It took about 10 seconds to set up at High Onn , even Maxview Crankups are unlikely to beat that, but at the end of the line, its the end result that counts. You can get to your destination on a bicycle, a Fiesta or a Ferrari, you pays your money and takes your choice :RollEyes:

Laurie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back